PDA

View Full Version : Tips or how to's on removing the head?

cusco-awd
09-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Getting close to the prospect of pulling the head off my van. Any tips or tricks?

jdweasel47
09-12-2018, 01:19 PM
1. Remove the driver seat/metal plate to get maximum access.
2. Take pictures before and during take off. Using masking tape and marker to mark hoses and wires (there is a ton) I use words and symbols.
3. I like to put similar nuts and bolts in cheap tupperware (dollar store stuff) and mark them (exhaust nuts, intake manifold, head bolts/nuts) so it is days or weeks before I reassemble, it jogs my memory what is what.
3. Don't cheap out and just put the new head gasket on. Run the head to a machine shop to make sure it is straight, have them do a 3 way valve job and replace the valve stem seals (cheap) too. The best $150-$200 spent when you put it back together and it doesn't start leaking again in 3 months.
4. Follow the nut loosening and tightening order and use a quality torque wrench (craftsman or better)
5. While you are in there, send the throttle body out for a clean ($90 service on Rockauto) and since you have the injectors out, why not replace them with rebuilt ones ($25 each on Rockauto with exchange)
6. Nothing is impossible with tools and patience. I once converted a automatic trans to manual trans in my drive-way with a jack/jack stands/ and hand tools.

In the end, you will have a quality repair that will lead to years of trouble free driving.