PDA

View Full Version : fast blinker front passgr not working on 2 vans after changing fuel filter

groovlow
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Hello every body
I have had some work done on 2 different vans now both front passenger blinkers are not working
both vans were up on a big jack (high 3' psgr side)with the access panel removed. Did something come loose?
Thanks
Joe

timsrv
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
There needs to be a complete circuit and both bulbs need to be good in order for the flasher to blink at normal speeds. Having fast blinks is the van's way of telling you a bulb is out. Try swapping bulbs and check the sockets for corrosion. Most likely this is the issue on both vans. Probably just a strange coincidence it happened to both at the same time. Tim

groovlow
03-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey Tim Thanks
no voltage at the socket
bulbs are good and socket looks like 86 or 88 assembly line...clean looks new
cleanest parts ive every seen on the vans

timsrv
03-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Well, I can tell you that once the signal leaves the turn signal switch it goes directly to the lights. All 3 lights (right rear, right front, and right indicator) are wired in parallel and are all powered by a green & yellow wire. The ground wire for that circuit is black & white. Get access to the green/yellow wire behind the socket and use a test light to pierce the wire. Find a clean spot on the chassis for grounding the test light. Turn on the key/blinker and see what happens. If the test light comes on then use the test light probe to touch the conductor inside the socket. If it still comes on then you have a bad ground. You can test the ground wire the same way, but instead of grounding the test light, hook it's ground wire to a +12vdc power source. For this you don't need to activate the circuit. If the test light comes on then the ground is good.

If it's a bad ground you have a choice to fix or pull another wire. Same goes for the hot. We already know the circuit is live for the rear and the indicator, so you could tap into the harness anyplace after the turn signal switch. Personally I like the repair option better because it keeps things clean (if you jerry rig things too much it can come back to haunt you later). I'm still thinking the problem is really close to that front socket. Tim