PDA

View Full Version : Windshield removal / replacement

User1
03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Hello all,

Seems like the cost of replacing the windshield is all over the board on getting it done here in the Los Angeles area. I've had quotes from $95 to $245.

Does anyone have any tips on how to weed through the different vendors? Stuff to make sure they do and to ask for? Seems like getting a gasket(?) would be a better route than that gummy stuff. Am I to assume that my chrome trimming would all be safe and reusable? What happens if it isn't? Any suppliers for this? What about clips? One vendor even asked if I want it done right or fast and cheap? That was the one with a quote of $245. $245 is done right.

I've read just about every thread on this subject at TVP and there was some valuable tips, but nothing seemed comprehensive. I do have a couple of minor rust spots, (on the outside), haven't really started to peel away the layers. I'll post something up later this weekend. Seems like everyone is mobile and doesn't seem like there would be too much trouble to get them to come the first day and remove the windshield. Then come back the day after to install it.

Will post pics later.

Thanks for any and all replies regarding this.

micah202
03-10-2012, 10:16 AM
hmm,always (3x) used the low-cost alternative,,usually get another rock-ding before there's any issues with the window or installation.
....be careful about a top-edge heavy-tint especially if you're tall:dizzy:

timsrv
03-10-2012, 11:39 AM
There is no gasket. The windshield is held in by urethane sealant. There are clips that hold the chrome trim in place. If you're careful you can save and re-use the trim. Basically you pop the trim out of a clip on one end, then slide it out of the other clips. This is covered in the BO section of the factory service manual. If you have it done by somebody else, I guess you just have to ask questions and trust your gut. Good luck. Tim

User1
03-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah I recall seeing it in the manual. Will be looking over that section again.

OK looks like what I want to do is remove the chrome trim myself. Assuming I am mechanically capable. The clips seems like the vendors have their own? I'm not sure, I've never seen or taken apart the shield. So I don't know if it would be something they would have. Some vendors have stated they got clips they can use. I'm hoping one of these days soon I get a chance to see a van at the wreckers. Another thing too, is to make sure my new windshield is a complete one tint on the whole glass. Thanks micah202 on that!

Here's the pics of the current windshield,

linnharding
03-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Since I had never replaced one of these glue-in windshields, I called around and found a mobile repair guy who does nothing but auto glass (Anthem Auto Glass in Santa Rosa). He came by and we did it together - him doing pretty much everything and me holding things and asking questions. It took him about an hour total and he charged me $60.00. I'm glad I did it this way - he had a tool to cut the old windshield out which worked incredibly well. Basically, it was a reciprocating saw with a very short stroke and a very flexible, spatula-like blade in it. He shoved this under the glass and cut the old windshield out in about 15 minutes. He then painted the perimeter of the new windshield (inside) with a very opaque black paint ( since the urethane adhesive is photoreactive). Next he used an electric caulking gun to place the adhesive and then we set the windshield in place. Took another 5 minutes to replace the trim - which he had removed and saved. Once the trim was back on he used masking tape to hold it perfectly in place until the adhesive dried. ( a couple of hours). Very clean, professional job.

timsrv
03-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I just found an old thread over at TVP: http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5633&p=43388 . I agree with Linn though. If you find a mobile guy (that runs his own company) you are likely to get an expert. Better yet if he's been in business for more than 3 years (it's hard to successfully run a small business if you don't know what you're doing). Tim

User1
03-11-2012, 12:39 AM
It took him about an hour total and he charged me $60.00.

Wait, that was for the price of the glass too? That's been the cheapest I read or called. That was new piece glass or used? (Assuming it was included.) What was done regarding the clips?

@Tim,

Yeah I saw that thread. I kinda liked this one the best,
http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1907&p=14006&hilit=Windshield#p14006
I just searched them all with "windshield" as my search term.

Any insight on the clips?

timsrv
03-11-2012, 01:04 AM
I seriously doubt that price included the glass.......I'm thinking glass would be around $200 all by itself. IMO even $60 for just the labor is cheap. I charge $75 per hr and have an additional travel fee based on miles (cheapest is $45).

As for the clips, I suspect you are correct in your assumption that different kinds would work here. I'm sure Toyota used this same method for other vehicles in this era and any professional windshield guy should know about them and how to get them (or suitable substitutes). Have fun with your project :thmbup:. Tim

linnharding
03-11-2012, 03:58 AM
The $60 was just for labor and this was cheap. We scheduled it when John, the owner and only worker, was on his way home from putting in windows for a dealer in San Francisco. He stopped by just as it was getting dark and he set up lights before he started on the windshield. I had gone to Pick and Pull and found a windshield that had been glued in with silicone caulk. It was an Australian windshield ( not original equipment) and because it had been glued in with silicone, I was able to get it out pretty easily without damage. Cost me $40.
John did such a good job and was so good about teaching me the process, I paid him more than he asked for - I think I gave him $80 and a dozen eggs. His wife stops by on Sundays now to buy eggs.

User1
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
His wife stops by on Sundays now to buy eggs.

Oh your breaking my heart now!!!! Fresh eggs!!!!!!!!! :dance:

ratatouille
10-16-2013, 06:40 PM
I haven't found too many posts on windshield/ trim work. Has anyone tackled the work?

I'd like to take mine out of my 88 and give it a proper seal and repair the trim thats falling apart. We recently had a good rain and I discovered a nice constant stream coming through onto passenger side dash and door while van sat parked. The trim around windshield has been slowly coming up and the faster I drive the louder it whistles and howls. HA

I know I can take it some where and pay the couple hundred it probably costs, and it may only take a few hours, but I'd rather give it a go myself and learn how to do it, even if it may take me a day or two. There are several of us in the area with these vans and it would be valuable work to learn.

Anyone with any input they can share? Thank you thank you!

foreverly
10-16-2013, 07:35 PM
There are a lot of youtubes on this subject. Many driveway/backyard guys seem to do it without much hassle.

I know sometimes its a challenge to remove the glass without breaking it. & you'll want to make sure any rust spots are completely sanded & repaired otherwise it will just leak again.

I remember a thread over at TVP that had some photos. I think the guy was repainting his van.

The trim pieces are something that will need to be fabricated or taken from the yard as they are NLA from Toyota.

I've used silicon to repair leaks in a pinch. This at least keeps electronics in the interior from suffering damage.

Burntboot
10-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Red's mouldings were siting proud when I got it, after trying unsuccessfully to put them back on with a little goo, I pulled all the trim only to find most of the retaining clips were broken and at least 4 different types of goop hiding underneath, clearly this has been an on-going, longstanding issue.
As winter was already here, I ended up using up a tube of sealant I had left over from some boat repairs.
Any sealant you chose should be silicon free (paint and silicone do not mix, and even years after application and removal, the silicone can cause paint adhesion problems and are the number one cause of "fish eyes".)
That bought me a little time but we are once again experiencing a leak from the top right corner so the time has come.

I plan to repair it myself, as I know a glass shop will only grind out the obvious rust and fill it up with cat hair and bondo and that just isn't a long term repair, at least not up here in snow country.
I currently have 2 glass shops looking for a replacement glass as I have little desire to put the old one back in, till then, the repair is on hold.

Foreverly is right, everything for the front glass is NLA from Toyota, moulding clips are available A/M but that's about it.
The manual has specific directions for re&re of the glass and mouldings so at least that part is "easy".

ratatouille
10-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks for helping the newb.

I will be very surprised if there is no rust underneath when I remove the glass. Crossing my fingers there won't be too much to repair.

timsrv
10-17-2013, 12:48 PM
I've been putting off this job on 2 of my vans. I know I'll be dealing with rust holes on both (thus the reason for putting off). My moldings are still there nice and secure though. My 86 now has rust holes that have extended enough they can be seen creeping out from the sides of the moldings :no:.......and the hole on the driver's side whistles at speeds over 65 mph :LOL2:. Tim

madcow41
03-30-2014, 09:59 AM
I called safelite just to see how much it would be and WOW talk about way to expensive but then again everything is getting way over priced good luck with your windshield

timsrv
03-30-2014, 12:02 PM
http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?1697-Windshield-for-87-dx-van

madcow41
03-30-2014, 04:29 PM
I guess prices went up down here in san Antonio they want 395.00

timsrv
03-30-2014, 10:48 PM
Try calling MS auto glass in Vancouver, WA. I know they're too far, but perhaps their supplier also distributes in your area. 360-750-7333 ask for Veena.

ratatouille
04-28-2014, 06:18 PM
I've put this off too long! Other pressing issues on van had me go the duct tape route for time being. So the other night we had high winds and rain, and as I turned the wipers on they caught the bottom trim that was lifting up and it ripped the tape up and the winds caught the trim and half of my trim went airborne, probably to the other side of the freeway. MAN! Time to find some replacement trim now.:doh:

happycloud
08-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Doesn't seem to be any threads on windshield removal and all I can find online are people outsourcing that. I am having a minor (hopefully) rust/leak issue. I have removed my trim but now I am unsure how to proceed. Has someone done this? YouTube seems to lack anything related. It looks like the windshield has a couple of tabs it sits on on the bottom and is then.. glued to a strip on the inside then caulked all around? Also the clips.. Should these go in before the outside caulking or just leave room for them. I am unsure I want to add new chrome molding - i found it online at lagrangetoyota.com but it's about $100-$150 for all I think. I've read about a guy just adding black urethane roofing caulk which might be ok if I can smooth it nicely.

I may have someone come and take the windshield off but id like to do it myself if not too hard. I live in a small town so it's a bit complex to find a local.

It's an 87 van LE/4wd

originalkwyjibo
08-21-2015, 02:50 PM
There are special tools for this. Here is one example: http://www.harborfreight.com/windshield-removing-tool-60298.html
Here is another: http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-windshield-removal-kit-96339.html
Draw your own conclusions in regards to Harbor Freight's quality. It was the first one to come up when I googled "windshield removal tool".

CleverUserName
08-21-2015, 06:23 PM
All the US masterace vans use the same windshield, '84-89. There are two colors available a bronze tint/shade and a green or blue tint/shade.

If your van has the OEM toyota clips holding on the mouldings they will need to be cut off to prevent damage to the trim. The original plastic clips are sturdy and do not release easily. If you can find new mouldings then it doesn't matter if the old ones get damaged during removal.

You will need to get a replacement clip kit. They are around $15-25

I had the windshield replaced in my van and the ham-fisted idiot who did the job destroyed my trim mouldings because he did not know or understand that they needed to be cut off to release the trim. I now have a universal rubber moulding until I can source a set of replacement trim.

It is best to call a professional auto glass installer to do the job, and make sure you get a good technician. There are lots of hacks out there. It shouldn't be more than $200-250 for a new w/s, clips and labor. Maybe less.

llamavan
08-22-2015, 05:29 AM
All the US masterace vans use the same windshield, '84-89.

Bit of trivia: The US did not get "Masterace" vans — they were imported first as Van Wagon (1984) and then just Van (1985-1989)

Not-so-trivial: The 84-85 Vans have a different windshield than the 86-89 Vans.

Gwen

CleverUserName
08-22-2015, 06:30 AM
Bit of trivia: The US did not get "Masterace" vans — they were imported first as Van Wagon (1984) and then just Van (1985-1989)

Not-so-trivial: The 84-85 Vans have a different windshield than the 86-89 Vans.

Gwen

Hi Gwen. I though I was the only one on here at 4 am!:wave1: LOL.

I was referring to the US vanwagon as "masterace" because they share many of the same parts as the JDM counterparts, including the windshield.

The 84-89 vans all use the same windshield. It is a FW00474 ( which is a NAGS part #) FW 474 translates into Foreign Windshield #474. NAGS is a US glass specification which is different from the actual toyota part #.

The earlier '84 vanwagon (or masterace) windshield may have initially had a different part number, but it was superseded by FW00474, which is what is recognized today.

You can check rockauto.com to verify. Look at the windshield part # for an '89 van and compare it to the '84. You can see that they are both FW00474. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?make=TOYOTA

Importglasscorp makes aftermarket clips and weatherstipping. Their catalog lists the FW 474 as the NAGS # for '84-89 Toyota Van wagons as well. It also lists the the required trim moulding kit for our vans as PCK-474-84. It's on Page 5 of the catalog: http://importglasscorp.com/pdf/Moldings and Clip Kits.pdf

Happycloud, if you decide to do the job on your own, you will need a FW00474 windshield and PCK-474-84 clip kit.

Why and how on earth do I know all this you might ask? 20 years ago I worked as a salesman for a wholesale windshield distributor and I still remember. Hopefully in another 20 years I will have completely forgotten all this.

happycloud
08-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the tips. My windshielf is fine and I am thinking of repalcing the chrome trim with urethane caulk as I saw on other forums. Mostly curious as to what is holding the windshield in place. It appears that there is a rubber moulding that originally encased the edge of the glass and was also sticky. The part of the rubber that faces outside is long gone so it's a bit hard to tell what was original and what is added on urethane. I've ordered what is suppoed to be windhsield runner molding that fits my van and gonna go from there. It says it has adhesive so I guess that is what is holding the glass in place? Looks like it will come right out as the stuff is worn and old. My goal was to then fill in the outside leftover gap with black urethane roofing caulk and smooth it in place nicely.

CleverUserName
08-22-2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the tips. My windshielf is fine and I am thinking of repalcing the chrome trim with urethane caulk as I saw on other forums. Mostly curious as to what is holding the windshield in place. It appears that there is a rubber moulding that originally encased the edge of the glass and was also sticky. The part of the rubber that faces outside is long gone so it's a bit hard to tell what was original and what is added on urethane. I've ordered what is suppoed to be windhsield runner molding that fits my van and gonna go from there. It says it has adhesive so I guess that is what is holding the glass in place? Looks like it will come right out as the stuff is worn and old. My goal was to then fill in the outside leftover gap with black urethane roofing caulk and smooth it in place nicely.

The windshield is glued in place with either urethane adhesive or butyl rubber. Most likely they used urethane as this is the norm but as I said before there are lots of hacks out there. I've even seen w/s installed with clear silicone so anythings possible.

Urethane cures hard, so it must be cut to release the windshield. You gotta get a blade or cutting tool in between the body and glass to cut the adhesive. Once the adhesive is cut the w/s can be pushed out. You will need to remove the interior pillar trim panels and L/R "oh sh*t handles" to get them off. They will be old and brittle so be careful. There is a vinyl interior trim piece to be removed as well, it runs along the top of the pinchweld and should be color matched to your interior. This upper trim should just pull off if you wiggle it.

It is very difficult to cut out a windshield without breaking it as it sits very close to the body on our vans. With that in mind you may want to get a windshield anyway or hire a pro to cut it out for you.

The exterior trim mouldings are mostly metal w/ plastic. They are held in place by clips attached to the windshield when installed. Here is a factory schematic so you can see: http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=501579&ukey_make=1060&ukey_model=15456&modelYear=1987&ukey_category=21641&ukey_driveLine=6678&ukey_trimLevel=18416

It also says the trim mouldings are NLA. You can't buy new ones as far as I know.

There is a windshield dam kit. I think this is rubber trim that sits below the exterior trim mouldings. My van did not have this installed so I don't know exactly what purpose it serves. # 0456230040
http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=508625&ukey_make=1060&ukey_model=15456&modelYear=1987&ukey_category=21641&ukey_driveLine=6678&ukey_trimLevel=18416

If you can't find the winshield trim mouldings I suggest you get a universal moulding to cover the leading edge of the glass. This is what is installed in my van now and it works. It does not look right, nor does it fit very well but it's better than nothing at this point.

happycloud
08-28-2015, 09:09 PM
So I took my trim off. Now the rubber underneath is all rotted away so my windshield will just pretty much fall out - I can grab a piece of the rubber and pull away from the windshield like a string. I can't quite tell what it used to look like originally. It appears that there is some kind of gasket - maybe 1/4" thick that is in betwen van and glass and that gasket most likely wrapped around the glass at some point though now its all gone. Any idea if that is original and where I can find it? I see stuff like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-Auto-Glass-Molding-Universal-Channel-Trim-Rubber-15-ft-length-flexibl-/121718866029?hash=item1c5702806d&vxp=mtr but that doesn't have an area to glue to the metal.

CleverUserName
08-29-2015, 04:32 AM
So I took my trim off. Now the rubber underneath is all rotted away so my windshield will just pretty much fall out - I can grab a piece of the rubber and pull away from the windshield like a string. I can't quite tell what it used to look like originally. It appears that there is some kind of gasket - maybe 1/4" thick that is in betwen van and glass and that gasket most likely wrapped around the glass at some point though now its all gone. Any idea if that is original and where I can find it? I see stuff like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-Auto-Glass-Molding-Universal-Channel-Trim-Rubber-15-ft-length-flexibl-/121718866029?hash=item1c5702806d&vxp=mtr but that doesn't have an area to glue to the metal.

The factory parts diagrams for the trim and windshield show a rubber gasket. The Van has a Windshield dam kit, Part # 04562-30040 for around $40.

Look at the parts diagrams I linked to in my previous posts. This is probably the rubber strip your seeing. The windshield in my van did not have a dam kit or any rubber gasket installed. It was just glued in with urethane adhesive. So it's use is optional although I would get a new one if I knew that it was supposed to be there.

Here is the FSM for '87 van and it shows how to install the windshield. Urethane adhesive comes in tubes now, so no need to use a putty knife like in the pics.

http://www.toyotavans.org/community/tips/manual/022_BODY.PDF

Speach
09-03-2015, 10:00 PM
I just got some parts off of a 84 early style. I had intentions to grab the windshield. The owner was trying to help me and broke it:dizzy: Oh well. Anyways this one did not have a gasket just sealer. You can use a razor blade knife and cut the top and then cut the inside. Watch out for the placement stops on the bottom. This guy was getting rough cutting around them and thats how he broke it. Save as many clips as you can for the trim.

CleverUserName
09-04-2015, 02:57 AM
I just got some parts off of a 84 early style. I had intentions to grab the windshield. The owner was trying to help me and broke it:dizzy: Oh well. Anyways this one did not have a gasket just sealer. You can use a razor blade knife and cut the top and then cut the inside. Watch out for the placement stops on the bottom. This guy was getting rough cutting around them and thats how he broke it. Save as many clips as you can for the trim.

Its difficult to cut out a windshield without breaking the glass. Luckily there are cheap chinese windshields available for our vans. Having the right tools can make it easier.

These long knives are like utility knives and use the same blades, but the long handle give you much more leverage. Good tool for cutting from the inside. They come in different lengths too. Here is a CRL long knife, but they have cheaper ones as well. http://www.dkhardware.com/product-17913-ht531-sur-grip-18-long-knife.html?mr:trackingCode=E6DFC30F-CDE0-E111-9B44-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=61368015012&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=84974132172&gclid=CjwKEAjwgqWvBRC2kajZjqeOn0oSJADqBi-l3ktz0Z_KQtY3CNC-6vpeRqUpxgEi5Pm9EQSM52ynaBoCFnLw_wcB

A cold knife is usefull for cutting from the outside, the The blade is angled 90 degress so you can get under the glass and cut the adhesive on the outer edge. http://www.dkhardware.com/product-831-rk160-standard-cold-knife.html?mr:trackingCode=3EF6F610-CDE0-E111-9B44-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=61368015012&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=84974132172&gclid=CjwKEAjwgqWvBRC2kajZjqeOn0oSJADqBi-lKPwSwOHt9CajX15KXp_ljRhat2FCuscgkWtnw9ulORoCoOnw_ wcB

Those are the most basic, specialized tools for cutting out the windshield.

If you need more windshield clips or a complete kit, precision makes good quality replacement parts. Here is the clip kit, PCK-474-84 http://precisionrestorationparts.com/i-9942481-windshield-clip-kit-fits-1984-1989-toyota-van-wagon.html

TotesVan
03-10-2016, 04:51 PM
Hi,

I know this thread is old, however I just got an '87 TV, and just last night discovered a leak on the upper right corner near the windshield - there's a little space where two pieces of interior paneling come together and drip drip drip goes the rain water right onto the passenger seat! The van came from the SW so hasn't seen much rain (and doesn't have any obviously visible rust)...and now it's in PDX during the rainiest winter in years. I poked around the area inside and out and couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from or how to stop it. Any ideas or tips?

The windshield is cracked so it eventually needs to be replaced, but I'm stalling as I'm not sure it will be all that easy to find a new one and the crack is tiny and doesn't obstruct my view. I also need to paint it, so I'm wondering if the the source of the leak will be discovered when I have those things addressed?

In the meantime, I'm wondering what a quick fix would be, so I don't ruin the inside of the van...the rain's not gonna stop anytime soon and it'll be a month or so before I can replace the windshield or paint it. Wish I could park in a garage, but alas, it's apartment life for me.

Thanks for any help!

timsrv
03-10-2016, 11:38 PM
There are several threads on windshields here. Here is one of the more helpful ones:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?1697-Windshield-for-87-dx-van

Unless you plan to do this yourself, I would probably just get a new one and pay the $85 or whatever to the glass place for installation. If they find rust holes they will probably just seal with urethane and tell you that "next time" you'll need to get some structural repairs. If you can wait, it might make more sense to let your body guy deal with it (when it's in for paint). They know how to pull windshields, but even the good guys will often brake them during removal (especially if it's installed with a urethane caulk). For that reason, I'd probably wait until you have the body work done and do it all at the same time. Perhaps some Gorilla tape over that spot or maybe a bucket on the passenger seat? I'd avoid silicone if you're planning on having it painted soon (silicone can create paint bonding problems), but some of the other sealants (of a different base) could be used to fill the gap. Personally I'd rather not put liquid sealer on it if you can avoid it (it can be really tough to clean off later.......especially urethane). Tim

TotesVan
03-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks Tim! That other thread is super helpful! I'll definitely be calling MS Auto Glass about getting a replacement windshield. I found a paint & body guy here in PDX who helped restore and a repaint a family member's TV; I'm optimistic about doing it all at once. I did inspect the windshield again and identified where the leak is probably coming from. Tried to tape it inside and outside, put a cup to catch and drips, and put some damprid on the floor to help soak up the moisture until I can address it for real. My friend's first suggestion was silicone caulk but I'm going to try to hold off. Thanks again!

ratatouille
03-11-2016, 12:31 PM
I ended up taking the old glass out my self. The glass guy a friend told me to use gave a little break since I did the removal and cleaned it all up before he came. When I removed I was surprised the windshield has even stayed on the van the past 4 or so years since I purchased. It looked like my 3 year old installed it with Elmers glue. Surprised I only had such a minimal leak as well. Literally there was only about 15% of the windshield in contact with the bead. This is where my leaks came from. Anyhow, I was also lucky and there wasn't too much rust to clean up. No pitting or holes to fill, just surface rust I cleaned up and primed and painted.

The only thing I was kind of bummed on was the new glass they installed has a slight fading tint through the top. My last windshield didn't. I was away when they installed it and didn't feel like complaining and having it redone. But I can't stand the tint in the new one. My opinion is it cuts down on the feeling of having such a wide field of vision that is so great about driving these vans. Specially on road trips when your site seeing and star gazing on the open road. Oh well. If your able to pick, I recommend avoiding the tinted glass. And I'm still searching for a straight set of trim/moulding

austinfromflorida
03-13-2016, 04:40 PM
I just had two windshields replaced professionally and am glad I did; Couple things if you were to tackle it; foam shimming off of the pinchweld required about 3/4 an inch on the aftermarket windshields (2 bumps on bottom that hold the glass in place- it still barely stretches the fit)- Make sure you get the new clips, do a dry run installation for alignment before you adhere it, also get the primer that goes on the metal and one for the glass (they were different) to set the right reaction. Tape a peice of masking tape on the windshield to the front body and then cut where they join so when you adhere and set it in you've got something to line up with. Not a difficult job, but having it done correctly the first time was worth me sitting one repair out and playing the "caddy role". I would definetly do it myself next go round, yet I feel I would have made some mistakes that would have been a pain to reverse once the eurathane hit the glass. The guy asked me if I could have done it (I had everything needed- almost) my reply, I can now.

jaders
08-10-2017, 04:48 PM
Having just replaced the second windshield in my 1987 Toy van in the last four years due to rocks hitting and causing cracks, I am wondering if anyone has ever tried carrying around their own rock chip glass kit that they sell for consumers? If so, do they actually work?

The last rock hit 1/4 inch below the top molding and started to crack within an hour - I couldn't even have located a glass person that fast I don't think. Thought I'd try carrying a glass kit myself to see if I can prevent this problem (replacing the whole windshield) from happening again. I had a helluva time even locating a new windshield and it was EXPENSIVE...:pissed:

trestlehed
08-10-2017, 10:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your cracked windshield.
I don't have any info on a "rock chip glass kit", but I'm requesting you post your source for
a new windshield (and price) so the rest of us have that info to work with.

Thanks!

Carbonized
08-11-2017, 01:28 PM
I posted this info there http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?3543-van-parts-mecca a while ago.I found it back searching Safelite :wnk:

luvJDMs
08-11-2017, 08:46 PM
We replaced our full-height cracked windshield last weekend (8/4/2017). We live in the Washington D.C. area. During the previous two weeks the Safelite shop in Arlington, VA could not locate a windshield. During that time we found another auto glass shop in Lanham, MD (Auto Glass Now...apparently a national chain auto glass shop), who found an after-market windshield. The Auto Glass Now price was 50% less than what Safelite estimated, and with the same warranty - Auto Glass Now ($192) and Safelite ($390). The Safelite shop did call and said they found an after-market windshield, but we told them we no longer need one.

That said, if you still need a windshield try calling this shop directly at 703.236.4205 (instead of the national toll-free number) and ask for Steve, the shop manager.

Good luck with your windshield project.

jaders
08-12-2017, 03:51 AM
Thanks for all the input! I called multiple glass shops and everyone told me they couldn't find one. Safelite DID eventually locate one in AZ (I'm in Oregon) and with shipping it would've run around 550 installed. :yikes: I had called Cascade glass in VAncouver, WA and they couldn't locate one, but I was still traveling in my van and on a lark i stopped into another Cascade shop in Boise, ID and the gal diligently searched, finding one both in Eugene, OR and Medford, OR. I believe the brand is Coach glass. Still, cost was $325 installed...:bdmd:(I was watching her search and the wholesale price was like $77.00) :pissed:

Rockauto listed only ONE available and at a reasonable price ($112 or so) but another hundred to ship and another $125-$150 to get someone to install it and I was worried about it arriving cracked, after reading some horror stories.

I went with the Cascade one - guy came to my house and certainly seemed to do a great job. Had been doing auto glass for 24 years, he said...

When I had the first one replaced about 2-3 years ago it was $220 and no problem to find. I'm more worried about ever finding another one, much less paying for it which is why I'd love to avoid this problem again if possible. Last summer I had another rock chip and went in just a few hours to find a glass repair place, which saved it from cracking. Is it because the windshield is so upright so that the rocks hit with more force and that they crack so doggone easily? I've been driving for a heck of a lot of years and never had a windshield crack before this van...

I really, really love my van, but it's getting pretty expensive for someone like me who isn't capable of doing my own repairs. I dread the day when there's something I need that I just can't find...:cry:

jaders
08-12-2017, 03:57 AM
We replaced our full-height cracked windshield last weekend (8/4/2017). We live in the Washington D.C. area. During the previous two weeks the Safelite shop in Arlington, VA could not locate a windshield. During that time we found another auto glass shop in Lanham, MD (Auto Glass Now...apparently a national chain auto glass shop), who found an after-market windshield. The Auto Glass Now price was 50% less than what Safelite estimated, and with the same warranty - Auto Glass Now ($192) and Safelite ($390). The Safelite shop did call and said they found an after-market windshield, but we told them we no longer need one.

That said, if you still need a windshield try calling this shop directly at 703.236.4205 (instead of the national toll-free number) and ask for Steve, the shop manager.

Good luck with your windshield project.

Wow - much less than I spent. I'm always so impatient to get stuff fixed. I should've asked here first. I was so worried about finding one too. I'll have to keep this info!!

Carbonized
08-12-2017, 02:03 PM
If Safelite ask for more than that, ask why?
Not A bad brand either . I had some glass from Mexico once installed on my Mini, 6 months latter it was so pitted it was abrading the wiper blades. That glass was very soft. Beware of cheap aftermarket stuff.

jaders
08-13-2017, 12:13 AM
interesting. I spoke to three different folks at safelite and was quoted three different prices. The first was about $325 but then he couldn't actually locate the glass! The third one who finally found it said that it would be an extra two hundred because it had to be shipped all the way from Az. I hated the way they were like car salesmen too.

Cascade said coach glass glass is still "approved" by the govt standards but they did call it oee instead of oem I believe. Hope I'm not screwed... :?:

Ace MM
08-13-2017, 01:48 AM
I really, really love my van, but it's getting pretty expensive for someone like me who isn't capable of doing my own repairs. I dread the day when there's something I need that I just can't find...:cry:
Glass is my biggest fear with my JDM van.
Found em for $500, none in the Americas.

I've had bad luck with aftermarket China glass.
Soft, chips, cracks...

luvJDMs
08-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Considering the quickly diminishing inventory of TV windshields (OEM, OEE, AM, etc.), has anyone ever tried a windshield protectant application, i.e. Opti-Glass, Diamond Fusion, or Bulletproof protectants?

Was thinking about trying Opti-glass; however, all seem to cost approximately $50-75 per bottle of needed protectant and have to be regularly applied to maintain a sufficient level of protection from elements and road wear.

Could be worthwhile if one of these products actually works, otherwise more flushing sounds.:bdmd:

jaders
08-13-2017, 03:26 PM
Interesting. I'd certainly be willing to try anything to keep this windshield!!

jaders
08-15-2017, 03:45 AM
Was just reading about Opti-Glass. Sounds like it'd be worth trying. Might stop some of the rock chipping. I only use my van for camping/travel trips, so it would be easy to apply just before leaving and it should last the duration of a trip for me. It says you get lots of applications per bottle. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I'm willing to try anything...:yes:

bikerjosh
05-18-2019, 01:52 PM
This thread seemed to come up the most when searching google so figured i’d post here.
Anyone ever replace their own clips and install trim on the windshield? My windshield doesn’t need to be replaced, but prior to painting my van I pulled off the trim and discovered most of the clips were paritially broken/ trim looked to be held on with a mixture of road grime etc.
Bought a new set of clips, and restored/painted the trim; just not sure how to go about removing the partially broken clips and install the trim.
thanks Josh

happycloud
05-18-2019, 07:34 PM
So i had asked some questions in this thread a long time ago but never posted my results. I ended uo having a windshield guy take my windshield off, left me to buff it clean and touch up some rust spots then came back and put the glass on w just some kind of caulk/black rubber paste. He said its used on Ferraris which have hand molded rubber trims. Apply and wet your thumb and smooth it out. I didn't need clips or trim and was left w a very nice black rubber trim. I would call around and ask if they know how to do a Ferrari trim as he said that is what it was called and used to do them in Beverly Hills. I don't have the van anymore else i would post pics. Looked a lot better than the roflroflroflroflty trim and never leaked.