PDA

View Full Version : '93 Townace Truck - Super short gearing

HavokTheorem
11-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Hiya team,
I have a '93 Townace flat bed truck with a manual 2c.
I am planning to throw a turbo on her since the previous owner did $2k worth of engine rebuild work.
My biggest issue with it at the moment is how short the gearing is. There isn't a tacho in the truck but it feels like at least 4,000rpm at 100kmh and it is, well, less than quiet and economical.
Presuming the turbo will provide a fatter torque curve and that stretching the gearing out a bit more would still offer decent acceleration, what are my options with regards to gearing?
I can't find any information about whether other Townace or Liteace variants had a smaller diff gear ratio but if they do, I'd consider an axle swap the easiest option available.
Does anybody know whether the gearing is different between equivalent generation vans or whether it's just a function of the smaller wheels that results in the gearing?

Cheers,
Frank

JDM VANMAN
11-17-2019, 12:26 AM
Welcome to the forum, TownAce Flat Bed is going to be a unique vehicle that very many members may not have. You may want to start making some comparison with the chassis and frame codes and then start cross referencing part numbers to see what’s going to be compatible with your vehicle. It takes a lot of time but you’ll start getting the hang of it and a better idea of the parts your after.:thmbup:

JDM

originalkwyjibo
11-17-2019, 10:50 AM
You need to look here (https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?695-differential-questions).

originalkwyjibo
11-17-2019, 11:05 AM
What size are the tires on those? I wondered if they were using tire size to reduce effective gear ratio the first time i saw one those. Once you have the gear ratio figured out you could find an online calculator that will allow you to enter combinations of differential ratio, transmission gear ratio, tire size, ground speed, and engine speed. Then you can make changes to those entries to see how it will affect the others. Here's (https://www.differentials.com/technical-help-2/differential-gear-ratio-calculator/) some to get you started