PDA

View Full Version : Van Oil Filter recommendations

batook
03-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Newbie Toyota Van question here (I'm a Prev-head but looking at getting a TV). What oil filter do you all use on your TVs? I use Toyota OEM on my Previas, which spec the 90915-YZZD1, but I've found that the longer 90915-YZZD3 will easily fit, and I have a case of those on hand. Anyone know if I would I be able to use the YZZD3 on a TV too, or will I need a different filter entirely? Thanks, Eric.

kcg795
03-31-2012, 02:04 PM
I use the Napa Gold filter and Mobil 1 10W-30 Full Synthetic in my Van. I'm starting to do my own oil changes on my Cobalt now and I also use Mobil 1 5W-30 Full Synthetic and the Napa Gold filter. The Napa Gold filters are made by WIX and are one of the best filters out there.

I did compare the thread sizes and the diameter of the gaskets between those filters and they are the same. So I'm sure it'll screw on just fine. But to be on the safe side, I wouldn't recommend using a filter that's not specified for your engine.

batook
03-31-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks. Yeah Napa Gold is good and would be my second choice over Toyota OEM, but I really like Toyota's filters (made by Denso), they have a good silicone anti-drain back valve and use high quality filter media. I'll see if I can find what filter is spec'ed by Toyota for the TV. BTW, what is the oil capacity of the 4Y? Eric

kcg795
03-31-2012, 03:05 PM
I think 3Y and 4Ys have the same oil capacity. I know on mine, I can get 4 quarts in.

timsrv
03-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Toyota intentionally makes oil filters confusing (they sell more filters that way). The ones they call out for vans are different from the ones they recommend for the Previas, but they are interchangeable. The Previa YZZD1 filter can be used in all years & flavors of the van. So if you're trying to use up those filters you're okay.

If you are purchasing a filter specifically for a 2wd or a 4wd manual van, the YZZD3 is fine but Toyota recommends #15601-33021 (I like the 33021 better as it is bigger and will filter more particles before it plugs up). If you have an 87-89 automatic 4wd then I'd run the YZZD1 or perhaps even the YZZD3. The 33021 may fit, but there's less room for the filter due to the oil cooler. Tim

JRSJ
04-01-2012, 02:07 AM
I use K&N filters. I'll never go back to any other filter, even OEM.

timsrv
04-07-2012, 09:26 PM
I happen to have all these filters here so I snapped a picture.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Engine/IMG_1540.jpg

batook
04-08-2012, 11:36 PM
Awesome, thanks for posting that Tim. I bet that larger 15601-33021 would fit on the Previa too. Eric

timsrv
04-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Here's a picture that might interest you. If you can get the 33021 on then you know you'll have room for the "sandwich" :).

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Engine/IMG_1541.jpg

gushaman
03-01-2013, 06:19 AM
is a thread about this already, sorry, i couldnt find it.

i am going to be using toyota oil filter #90915-yzzf1
it is just like the japanese factory filter, but made in thailand

from the factory in japan a brand new 4y engine comes with filter #90915-10004. it may be a higher quality filter, but its also over $15 to ship to the states. The Thai filter is still higher quality than most at auto parts stores according to some websites

kcg795
03-01-2013, 10:14 AM
I use the Napa Gold (WIX) filters and I use full synthetic oil.

gushaman
03-09-2013, 06:52 AM
It seems like most toyota oil filters will fit.even the prius filter, but it is a very short filter

timsrv
03-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I like to keep everything Toyota but I have used Wix (Napa Gold) in a pinch. IMO the Napa/Wix filters are just as good, but I like seeing the "Toyota" printed on the filter. About a year ago my Toyota dealer quit stocking the big 15601-33021 filter (for 2wd & 5 speed 4wd vans) & started giving me the small 90915-yzzd1 filter. The bigger ones are still available for order so I got a case of them. If you change the oil at regular intervals the smaller filters will do, but I like the bigger ones. There's more media inside & they flow better (less likely to plug up & bypass in the event of contamination). Also, I'm not sure about what other filters have the "anti drain-back" valve, but I know for sure the original van filters have them. This is important for any filter that mounts with the open side down (like our vans). Tim

MonTex
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
I use the Purolator PureOne oil filter - part number PL14670 for my '89 4WD.

The are inexpensive ($5 at my local K-Mart) and are 99.9% efficient and incorporate synthetic media. See the following URL:

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

gushaman
03-17-2013, 08:37 AM
montex, is that for a 4wd a/t?

MonTex
03-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Yes. My van is an '89 4WD with automatic transmission.

glohworm
03-29-2013, 03:58 PM
It's been a coon's age since I posted, simply because my van has been running fine. I also find it frustrating that my personal knowledge gained with these vans (88' & 86') is not sufficient in helping fellow vanners on the forum. Thus, I've been silent. Anyway, I finally ran out of FRAM PH2825 oil filter sources! I know I've been ragged on repeatedly on this forum for using them, blah, blah. I went to my local Napa and they were out of the 1034's. So I went searching on the web for alternative filters. I ended up purchasing 3 Pentius PLB2825 filters from Rock Auto. The reason I'm posting is to ask if anyone is familiar with these filters? Rock Auto charged me $1.91 per filter, duh. But $9.00 S/H! Checking on eBay and you'll see a wild range of prices for these filters, e.g., from $2.20 up to $11.00! Go figure. Any comments.

PS: Does anyone even remember this old fart? :-)

Gary

timsrv
03-29-2013, 05:02 PM
I thought I smelled you lurking around here :rol:. I'm glad you didn't die (never know with you old guys) :LOL2:. Glad to have you back :thmbup:. Keep on posting!!! Tim

abracadabra
03-30-2013, 07:52 AM
I've been using whatever oil filter comes with the "oil change special" at my local Autozone, its usually either an STP or Bosch, both the larger size ones.

I also picked up from Rock Auto at one point some Beck Arnley filters that were crazy cheap, also the big kind. I haven't used them yet.

The way I see it, if I change the oil religiously every 3000 miles then it probably doesn't matter THAT much which filter I use. I could be wrong, but, this van just got me a 23mpg tank of gas the other day, of course thats 50mph back roads here in Maine, but that tells me my van is pretty happy!!

mark
'87 LE 4WD

foreverly
03-30-2013, 08:52 PM
How many different filters are there for these vans? Manual vs Auto / 2wd vs 4wd?

I was using the small Toyota ones for my 87 2wd. But this time I picked up the Napa Gold & the filter they gave me was waaaay to big in diameter to fit.

I ended up with a very long Purlator that is the same diameter as the yzzd1's that I was using. It seems pretty solid & has the anti-drainback.

timsrv
03-30-2013, 10:21 PM
How many different filters are there for these vans? Manual vs Auto / 2wd vs 4wd?

Originally there were 2 filters. 87-89 automatic 4wd's needed a shorter filter due to the oil cooler (there is engine coolant running through the filter base and that lifts the filter up a bit). All other vans took the bigger filter. You can use the smaller auto 4wd filter on all the vans, but if you can use the bigger filters I'd use those (they flow sightly better). Tim

gushaman
03-31-2013, 12:36 AM
im really glad this thread is taking off. there are a few other filters from toyota with the same diameter and same thread size that fit. i have heard that the 90915-yzzd1 is the prius oil filter, and it is shorter because the engine is smaller and doesnt need a huge filter.
if possible could everyone give the part numbers for what they are using? i only plan on using toyota filters myself, but it would be nice to have a cross reference chart, which is why i asked. gosh i must be some sort of nerd considering i stay up late checking part numbers lol

foreverly
03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
Thank you Tim.

So I take it that the wider filters were made for the 4wd's since they couldn't have a long filter in them they needed to go out.

There is a lip on my auto 2wd that won't fit the larger diameter filters ala Napa Gold #1068. But Napa says it suppose to fit for 87-89 Auto's. I guess they really mean 87-89 4wd Autos.

I think a lot of the databases are a messed up at the parts stores. Many of them say there is a difference between manual & auto transmission. I'm thinking that although I have an Auto - I should buy the manual filters since I don't have a 4wd.

From now on I will stick to taller skinny filters w/ anti-drainback like Purolator Classic 14670 which is made in the USA & costs a wopping $3. Next time I will try the 99% Purolator that Montex mentioned.

The yzzd1 is a great littler filter but I like the idea of having a bigger filter.

& I know most people already know this but the guy at the Napa counter told me that all of the Napa branded fluids are really (for better or worse) Valvoline.

timsrv
03-31-2013, 11:34 AM
I have never experienced that problem...........but I have only used a Napa Gold/Wix filter on an auto 4wd once or twice (and I don't remember the part number). I always thought the filters were the same diameter, just different in height. Tim

gushaman
03-31-2013, 11:40 AM
a related question: i just cleaned my oil filter spindle? in anticipation of finishing my engine build swap, and i found a bolt with a spring and a jiggly thing inside the housing. is this an anti drainback? if so, is it ok to have an anit drainback in two places?

MonTex
03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
I just bought some Purolator PureOne filters that were on-sale at K-Mart for $3-bux and change. Purolator now only offers the shorter of the two filters in its 99.9% efficient PureOne synthetic media filter.

Regarding motor oil, I use VW-spec VW 504.00/507.00 synthetic motor oil. See the motor oil comparison graph(s) at the URL below:

Find the Lubrizol website at the URL below, and start clicking on the selections on the drop down menu on the left side.

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/lubrizol/EOACEA2009/RP/PC/index.html

timsrv
03-31-2013, 11:44 AM
a related question: i just cleaned my oil filter spindle? in anticipation of finishing my engine build swap, and i found a bolt with a spring and a jiggly thing inside the housing. is this an anti drainback? if so, is it ok to have an anit drainback in two places?

That's the pressure relief/bypass valve. If your filter plugs up that valve opens and allows the oil to bypass the filter.

95-le/sc-all-trac-rip
06-23-2013, 12:16 PM
what would I have to look up to find the manual transmission one?

timsrv
06-23-2013, 12:43 PM
All manual transmission vans (84-89) will take a variety of filters. However, the one most suited (IMHO) is Toyota part #15601-33021. The 4wd automatic vans need the shorter filter due to the engine oil cooler attachment. They will still accept several Toyota filters, but the one typically used here is #90915-yzzd1. It was easier to keep up with this back in the 80's & early 90's, but now they have so many part numbers with such insignificant changes. I suspect many to be the same filter with different numbers (for marketing reasons). Tim

PS: I noticed in your profile you only have Previas. This discussion is regarding the earlier vans 84-89.

95-le/sc-all-trac-rip
06-23-2013, 12:48 PM
I am actually talking of vans,does anyone know of a puralator pure one equivalent for the 4wd manual.

timsrv
06-23-2013, 01:13 PM
http://www.pureoil.com/do-it-yourself/online-catalog/filter-lookup/

95-le/sc-all-trac-rip
06-25-2013, 09:23 PM
wonderful they don't make the pure one version anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xman808
06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
This thread made me think of the last time I changed oil in the van, found the receipt from the Toyota dealership from when I bought the oil filter....July 2012! Time to change the oil! lol

At least I used full synthetic :rol:

LightBlueToy
08-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Is there only one oil filter stem for all models of vans with a 4Y? Oil change place said my Toyota filter, part #15601-33021 was too big and second guessed me about getting the right filter. "Did you tell them the correct year and model?"

I have a 4wd 5spd by the way. I only went to the place because another mechanic i trust recommended them and they have a machine to do a coolant flush. With oil change you get $15 off the coolant flush. They said they wouldn't do a coolant flush but didn't give a reason. Manager/supervisor just said "no" under his breath while walking out of the place and didn't return.

I knew i shouldn't have bothered and just done it myself but I thought having the machine flush would be a good idea.

timsrv
08-03-2017, 12:11 AM
That oil filter was actually the original one Toyota listed for 2wd vans and 4wd 5-speeds. Yes it is big but it does fit (it's the one I use). The shifter and emergency brake cables may hit on the top of it but they can be pushed out of the way. 4wd automatic vans have an oil cooler and they take/return oil via a "sandwich" device between the filter and the base, so this lifts the filter higher (and yes, the 33021 would be too big for one of these).

These oil change places are all about one thing.......making money. They don't want to mess around with older cars that are difficult to work on or "different". The van is definitely unique and the response you got is pretty typical. Once while on a trip with my Previa the scheduled oil change came due. Since I was away from home I stopped by an Oil Can Henry's and asked them to do it. Their shop was empty and the guys were bored/goofing off, but the manager refused saying they had a policy of not servicing "mid engine vehicles". I tried to tell him how easy it was but he wouldn't budge. Just as well as they probably would have done more damage bumbling around than I did driving another thousand miles on old oil :dizzy:. Tim

jimijuma
08-20-2020, 02:27 PM
All those looking for the taller filter (not the folks with a 4wd auto who are in need of the shorter filter; all other vans apply), look no further than the Baldwin B143:

https://www.amazon.com/Baldwin-B143-Full-Flow-Lube-Spin-On/dp/B000CAU21A/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=baldwin+B143&qid=1597951524&sr=8-11

I have used Baldwin filters for years and they are excellent!