PDA

View Full Version : Clutch engagement point jumping around?

Reducto
05-12-2012, 11:33 PM
I've been doing a lot of long distance driving lately and the clutch has been weird. One morning I took off and the clutch suddenly started engaging about an inch lower than it had since I bought the van. It worked fine though, so I thought it might be my imagination and kept going. A few days later the engagement point was suddenly very high, such that it never full engaged (or disengaged? Don't know what the term is) and was slipping. I took it in and the guy said the clutch needed to be changed. The plate was indeed worn and the flywheel had heat marks so I figured I was good. Got it back and the engagement point was a little high, but it had enough play and was not slipping.

The next morning it was also fine. The next afternoon, it was suddenly way high again. I was already at another mechanic (long story) who was very familiar with this van and he could offer no explanation but adjusted the pedal for me and I'm back on the road for now at least.

Has anyone run into anything like this? The hydraulics seem solid, no fluid or pressure loss. The clutch is new and the flywheel turned. It's never moved around on me while I'm driving, only after sitting for 4+ hours.

timsrv
05-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Sounds interesting. Probably not any of the recently replaced parts. That leaves linkage and hydraulics. If it acts up again start looking for loose or worn parts. Perhaps something is shifting??? Maybe an internal problem with the slave or master??? Reservoir is full.......right?

Reducto
05-13-2012, 04:06 AM
No linkages that are obviously bent or loose, but I don't really know what they're supposed to look like. Fluid level is right at the line between low and high, same as when I bought the van 4k miles ago.

joegri
05-13-2012, 05:11 AM
i had something simular to this. just cuz to replace the slave cylinder is so easy and fluid is cheap i did. and also bleed really good then do it again. to really set yer mind at ease go ahead n pull the speedo cluster out n get a good look at the master cylinder just to see if it,s suckin air. just a thought.