PDA

View Full Version : A double whammy I didn't need this morning!

wirewrkr
05-16-2012, 02:38 PM
So, went off for my "smog check" appointment this morning so I can get the new van transferred and registered.
First thing, the technician walked outside to the van and it wouldn't start. The starter decided at that precise moment it was time to retire.
The mileage is within 10,000 of when ALL Toyota starters fail, so I shouldn't have been surprised. The tech lent me a ball peen hammer, and of course it worked fine after three love taps.
when I worked at Toyota dealers years ago, the running joke in the shop was that all Toyotas should have come equipped with a ball peen hammer from the factory.
Stage 2: it failed the initial test, HCs are too high.
max is 100ppm, mine read at 143ppm.
Idle a little high too.
Soooo down to removing the whole engine cover and give it a good going over.
I was hoping to do that later, AFTER getting it registered.
As if I have nothing better to do, oh well.

timsrv
05-16-2012, 03:32 PM
High hydrocarbon emissions can be as simple as improper ignition timing or a plugged up air filter. Other causes could be, vacuum leak(s), leaky valves or an EGR system problem. Even a bad spark plug can cause high HCs so if you don't know when it was tuned up last, that would be the 1st thing to do.

As for the starter, it sounds like all you need are some new contacts. These can be had for just a few bucks. Here's a thread that talks about starters. Scroll about 1/2 way down the page. Tim

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?126-Ignition-switch-question

wirewrkr
05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Yeah, I followed the thread on the contacts, they are super cheap on Fleabay, but none seem to be applicable to the older vans. I'll keep digging.
I'm gonna do my T100 also as a preemptive strike, and my brother's Sienna and my wife's 93 Previa, (we already did her Camry last year)
Already on board with the tuneup thing, gonna crack it today.
Does the factory kit number you showed on the thread do the whole starter or do you need 2 kits?
At the dealer, all we ever did was slam in factory reconditioned starters.
It was cheaper for the customer due to flat rate costs of us cracking open the starter and "going through" it.

timsrv
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
The kit from Toyota is only one contact, one stud, and some misc washers/insulators.

Yeah, I followed the thread on the contacts, they are super cheap on Fleabay, but none seem to be applicable to the older vans..........

The link to the eBay contacts in that thread is current & these ARE the correct contacts. I've purchased and used them. They are the ones featured in that thread. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nippondenso-Denso-Starter-Solenoid-Contacts-New-017-/350472481213?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5199c9a9bd#ht_780wt_905.

wirewrkr
05-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks Tim, I see the big difference from those and the ones for my T100, (dodged that bullet!)

wirewrkr
05-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Sooo, here's an update....
Got the starter kit off Ebay with the new plunger,about ten bucks to my door, fixed the starter (only 1 worn contact)
Figured out the TPS is bad, retarded the timing and it passed smog, WOOHOO!! Now I need a TPS and am amazed at the myriad of choices, aftermarket and factory.
Anyone have any good or bad issues with the aftermarket? It's not something I wanna do twice, but I'm also on a tight budget and $30.00 bucks is a lot easier to stomach than $70.00.
After pulling the throttle body today, I attempted to figure out what actually failed on the TPS.
after removing the cover the problem was glaringly obvious, the plastic arm was wearing its two contacts so bad, there was way too much slop, and the points could not be calibrated anymore. The plastic is also turning to powder, accelerating the wear.
The joy of desert living. Then again, this has 186K on it and it's 25 years old almost. Onwards and upwards!664665666

timsrv
05-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Check out this thread: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?464-Check-Engine-light-Codes-4-and-11

wirewrkr
05-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks Tim. Good read.
My code was/is a 51. And the AC dioesn't work, but that's a later matter.
We'll see what's what after I replace the TPS.
I did some digging and that particular TPS is a very popular unit on the Japanese cars.
I wouldn't be surprised if some German applications would be the same as well. When I go junkyard hopping next week I'm taking my multimeter and feeler gauges with me to do some field testing.
These are pretty cut and dried, and you can see how simple they are once you pop the cover off. Downright archaic actually, kinda like me.
As anyone in a warm climate ever bypassed the cooling hose that run through the throttle body?
Is it really necessary, or just an exercise in over-engineering?
ANd last but not least, can you use standard 5/16 hose there or are the bends too much?

timsrv
05-27-2012, 12:05 PM
In most of the places you can use bulk 5/16" hose. There's 1 or 2 that I'd worry about kinking, so probably best to use the formed hoses there. I buy bulk hose by the roll and I save the stuff at the inside of the roll for these tight bends.

Depending on your climate you could "bypass the bypass" without issue. You would lose the faster idle speed when cold and may possibly develop icing problems in the throttle body (the bypass hoses provide heat to this area to prevent icing). If you're in a "tropical" climate then no problem.

Unless I knew history I personally wouldn't consider a used TPS. These things typically fail between 100 - 150k miles. IMO the >$100 for a new one is money well spent. Tim

wirewrkr
05-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I knew what the hose was for, But don't think it's an issue here in the California desert.
Or even when I visit up in The SF bay area. We might get a winter day that hovers around 32 degrees twice a year!
In my 32 years experience, I think there's just waaay too many coolant hoses on these vans. I'm thinking of just going right to the source on the back of the head, and replace that plate with a plain one (no pipe nipple)
But that's just me, simple is better, less is more..............

wirewrkr
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM
New TSP installed and adjusted, repair the pulled wires for the vacuum switch that sits next to airbox, replaced coolant hoses for throttle body, reset the timing correctly adjusted the idle speed, and now just thinking a new cap and we're good to go. I don't think it's releasing any pressure, since the label on it is bowing out, and has pressure under it. Is this an 8 pound cap?
Sure runs sweet, now I can't wait take her for a spin!