PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a ohmmeter suggestion

User1
05-29-2012, 11:57 PM
Hello all,

I'm not really any kind of electronic guru, but I am wanting to learn and have the desire to better my insight. As of now I don't have any kind of ohmmeter and am looking into a suggestion of a meter to get. I guess first stop for getting tools now-a-days is harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=ohmmeter). I know that if I was a electronic guru, I'm suppose to poo poo the idea of even considering Harbor Freight, but I'm just a tenderfoot.

So does anything look presentable for first meter at HF?

timsrv
05-30-2012, 01:56 AM
THIS ONE (http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html) actually has the functions you need but $4.99 just seams too cheap to me. There are things I'll buy at harbor freight but I'd be a little leery of their electronics. I'd probably go to Sears and get a 1/2 way decent one for around $40...........but that's just me. Tim

wirewrkr
05-30-2012, 07:42 PM
I have that little one from Harbor freight as a backup and travelling one.
I hate to say it but it's a damned good unit. It's a little more accurate than my $50.00 Craftsman unit that I bought 15 years ago.
For a first time buyer you cannot go wrong. Mine was on sale for $2.99 when I bought it.
I use my ohmmeters almost EVERYDAY, and have to depend on their reliability to make my living.
The only downside to the little HF unit is it does not have the audible continuity feature.
That's why it's my backup unit.

timsrv
05-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Lol, Amazing! How can they sell these for this low and stay in business??? Nice to know. Thanks.

User1
05-31-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the reply wirewrkr! I just need a simple one that will get me started. If I feel I need a nicer one, I'll gravitate to one. I might go pick this up tomorrow.

@Tim, Looks like I'm not getting any messages now. I haven't gotten a message in the last few days. I'm on "Instantly, using email".

timsrv
05-31-2012, 12:34 AM
@Tim, Looks like I'm not getting any messages now. I haven't gotten a message in the last few days. I'm on "Instantly, using email".

That's odd. My notifications are working........that's how I was alerted this thread was recently posted in. Let me know if it persists. Tim

User1
05-31-2012, 12:44 AM
That's odd. My notifications are working........that's how I was alerted this thread was recently posted in. Let me know if it persists. Tim

OK I got this notice for yours, but all the others, no notice. :dizzy:

wirewrkr
05-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Huh, the last notice I got was response #4 (timsrv response) and none since. that was last night.
Not that important, but since it's been mentioned I figured I'd play along.

timsrv
05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
I just checked my email "trash box" and see I've gotten one for every post. I don't know what to do about this. It's like the repair business..........I go to a job, the customer explains the problem, I turn it on and it works :?:. The customer witnesses it and goes "WTF, how did you do that?" Of course it's difficult to troubleshoot a problem when it doesn't exist. If I guess and replace a random part, or if I give-up and leave, the customer will always call back the next day saying "as soon as you left it quit working again" :LOL2:.

The moral of this story? Here it is: I don't have a clue why the site does this. There have been weird glitches since we've been on-line. Could be the server or maybe the software??? I have no idea and can't effectively troubleshoot if I can't duplicate the problem for testing. Sorry guys. Hopefully the next software update (soon) will take care of it. Tim

wirewrkr
05-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Tim, that reminds me of a repair I did waaay back in 81.
A woman brought in her 77 VW Rabbit for a new clutch. I used to love clutch jobs, good turnaround time, good money.
So she picks up the car and we don't hear from her for like, 6 months or so. At that time she brings in the car and is complaining of the clutch slipping badly. I drive it and sure enough, the clutch is toasted. She gets a new clutch from me, installed, free of charge. Thanks and adios. 4 or 5 months go by and she's back in again, same complaint. So this time, I say, "let's take it around the block for a minute" and I jump in before she can think twice. We take off and I watch HER drive the car this time. Sure enough the clutch pedal is her footrest for the left foot. She said she always drove like that. Ever since she bought the car, 9 months before the first clutch.
No free clutch this time. She wasn't happy, but I was. I had been doubting my work and also the clutches I was selling. I put it to rest after that.

timsrv
05-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I hear you. So many of my jobs end up being "customer education". This is especially true with the top end RV's. People think they can park someplace without hook-ups, turn on the inverter and run space heaters :dizzy:. Of course it takes me a while to get to the bottom of things because people generally "forget" to mention key information I would need to duplicate their problems. Information like expecting to be able to run two 1500w space heaters off a 2000w inverter and 500AH worth of batteries :LOL2:...........Of course then there's the guys that try to fix it 1st and pretend they didn't touch it. Before I can fix the original problem I need to find and fix the stuff they screwed up (had 2 of those today) :no:. All I can say is it's good I charge by the hr :rol:. Tim

skibum
05-31-2012, 10:38 PM
I've been getting a Craftsman multimeter with a little AC detector, for about $20. I got one at Amazon, but they don't have them right now, and I think I got the other one at KMart or Home Depot (with 2 residences, I have to double up on stuff like that). I also got a Craftsman ammeter that gave me the same reading(s) as one of the electricians that I hire's $300 Fluke. I just searched Craftsman ammeter and got this link, which lists several choices from $22 to $100.

I design and install septic systems, so I have to service problems that come up, sometimes my own jobs, but more often people refer clients to me, because I have earned a good reputation in our area. I learned quite some time ago that using controls that keep a history, is a real good way of determining who, or what , may have caused a problem (not to mention the gadget value :) ). In my industry, it's often customer education, as well.

skibum
05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reply wirewrkr! I just need a simple one that will get me started. If I feel I need a nicer one, I'll gravitate to one. I might go pick this up tomorrow.

User1,
you probably know this, but you will only get one notification per visit to the thread. You are pretty active, so it may not apply, but if you do get a notification and don't visit the thread, you won't get any more ( I think I read that in one of the notification emails)

timsrv
06-01-2012, 12:15 AM
You are pretty active, so it may not apply, but if you do get a notification and don't visit the thread, you won't get any more ( I think I read that in one of the notification emails)

That's a good point. Every notification ends with this statement: There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

User1
06-01-2012, 01:52 AM
I've been getting a Craftsman multimeter with a little AC detector, for about $20. I got one at Amazon, but they don't have them right now, and I think I got the other one at KMart or Home Depot (with 2 residences, I have to double up on stuff like that). I also got a Craftsman ammeter that gave me the same reading(s) as one of the electricians that I hire's $300 Fluke. I just searched Craftsman ammeter and got this link, which lists several choices from $22 to $100.

Hey skibum,

Do you have model numbers on these or a link? What's nice about the $5 HF one is that you can still look for a better one and can have the cheaper one as a backup.

Thanks for the advice on the notices. I'll watch for that. BTW, I've only gotten one notice on this thread.

skibum
06-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Hey skibum,

Do you have model numbers on these or a link? What's nice about the $5 HF one is that you can still look for a better one and can have the cheaper one as a backup.

Thanks for the advice on the notices. I'll watch for that. BTW, I've only gotten one notice on this thread.

Oops, I spaced the link, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482369000P

eddieleephd
06-01-2012, 07:12 AM
Generally speaking Multi-meters are basic, parts wise. Digital multi-meters are preferable due to the lack of bounce and the needle can not get bent.
Amazingly the cheap HF MM's are good of course there is the Quality assurance part that may be a little out.
you could get schematics and build one fairly inexpensively, however, that is so in depth.

Reality is the $50 ones have nicer packaging and have auto ranging capabilities with that wonderful audible continuity tester.
Cheap MM's rarely have an audible continuity tester "which is awesome to have" and are not auto ranging "more parts = more $"

Aside from that the $120-$200 MM's usually have Temp settings where you can monitor Temperatures with, this is about the only reason to get one.
The Temp sensor is nice when you are contemplating whether you are over heating or if it is a Temp sensor. I use the expensive one for monitoring my kiln.
Aside from this I would not have spent this much on one.

Reliable brands give reliable more accurate results. The auto parts store and craftsman I do not consider to be reliable brands...
Not exactly trash just a little off.

Cheap $5 MM is good for amateur testing/ not often use mm. I do love the HF $5 MM.
I know an old Electrician whom uses one and does not think twice.

User1
06-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the info eddie, yeah as I said before, the cheapy is good for getting started. I'll pick one up this Sunday. I have a lazer temp gauge I picked up about week ago online for less than $20. I'm hoping that will do the job for things on the van. Dealing with USPS is bit crazy in my area :?:

Getting back to the notices, I got two identical notices of skibum's post of #16, and one of eddieleephd's #17
Which I'll take! I got notices! :yes:

timsrv
06-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Oops, I spaced the link, http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482369000P

I have an earlier version of this same meter. It's a good meter and I like it. It has some valuable functions & I use it mainly for high amperage DC readings and temperature monitoring. It will not however give you accurate low amperage readings so I use another meter for that. The only way to get accurate readings in the milliamp range is to physically route the power through the meter via the test leads. The $5 HF meter has that function.........but accurate??? Sounds like some of you had good experience with it so I'll just have to take your word on that.

BTW, I have several multimeters ranging from $20 to $300, but the 2 cheapest ones (both $20 meters) get used 99% of the time. The expensive ones are reserved for special occasions. I use them all but I am a tech by trade and a good portion of my jobs include electrical troubleshooting. Tim

User1
06-05-2012, 11:29 PM
OK I got my ohmmeter from HB. Doesn't really give any directions for doing anything. Just you normal warning literature, like keep away from children and don't use where there's high voltage, etc, etc. I'm sure there must be alot of videos on youtube on learning how to use this thing. If anyone knows of something to read on how to use it, please feel free.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I think I can learn alot from this little tool.

eddieleephd
06-08-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.tdpowerskills.com/node/31

nice little tutorial

and by the way these are really called multimeters and if you search as I just did "multimeter operation" you .will find this and many more results

User1
06-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Thanks eddie, that's a good start. I looked at some videos and they're demonstrating how to check the voltage on house current. It gona take a little courage for me stick the probes to test that!

I'll see if I can find some lessons and tutorials for this meter.