PDA

View Full Version : 4y-ecs ideas — forklift engines?

gushaman
05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone is familiar with the 4yecs engine that is available in the 7series forklifts. it seems like its just a 4y, but with a modern engine management computer. add to that an intake manifold for a propane carb, and i think it may be something to investigate for the future of our vans

micah202
06-01-2012, 09:32 AM
hey guys, i was just wondering if anyone is familiar with the 4yecs engine that is available in the 7series forklifts. it seems like its just a 4y, but with a modern engine management computer. add to that an intake manifold for a propane carb, and i think it may be something to investigate for the future of our vans

..sounds interesting....it'd be lovely to 'modernize' our engines,maximize mileage:yes:

timsrv
06-01-2012, 01:52 PM
The big problem I see here is price. When it comes to industrial equipment it's funny how even the most simple parts are jacked up to amazing prices. I'm actually going the other way by installing van parts on my forklift :rol:. Parts are much more plentiful and much, much less expensive in the van world :yes:. Tim

gushaman
03-09-2015, 07:29 AM
The big problem I see here is price. When it comes to industrial equipment it's funny how even the most simple parts are jacked up to amazing prices. I'm actually going the other way by installing van parts on my forklift :rol:. Parts are much more plentiful and much, much less expensive in the van world :yes:. Tim
tim do you have any pics of the van parts on a lift? what swaps have you done?

timsrv
03-09-2015, 11:19 AM
So far I've used mostly tune-up stuff (distributor cap, rotor, wires, a spark plug tube, & misc) and I've also put starter contacts in mine. I will likely (at some point) put an entire engine in it and was thinking about switching it over to EFI. Sorry, but the stuff I've done won't really show on pics. Tim

vanalogs
06-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Im not a mechanic maybe this is a stupid question but I was wondering if a Toyota 4y forklift motor would work in a van?

highwind
06-28-2015, 08:39 AM
no

vanalogs
06-28-2015, 11:18 AM
no

Why not

JDM VANMAN
06-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Im not a mechanic maybe this is a stupid question but I was wondering if a Toyota 4y forklift motor would work in a van?

Yeah I don't know if it fits either maybe it's configured in the motor compartment different but it looks like the heads are the same according to this vender-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FITS-TOYOTA-VAN-FORKLIFT-2-0-2-2-OHV-3Y-3YEC-4Y-4YEC-CYLINDER-HEAD-NO-CORE-/171436864776?hash=item27ea6ef508&vxp=mtr

good luck:thmbup:

timsrv
06-28-2015, 09:21 PM
This has been discussed a few times. Here's a quote from an older thread:

I had briefly considered this when I blew-up my engine. I decided against it though because industrial applications are typically different than automotive. The differences may be small, but they might also be a problem. I don't know the specific differences with this engine, but typically industrial engines don't spin as fast and don't need high horse power. As a result they may very likely have heavier pistons & low compression ratios. Assuming this is true with the forklift applications, this would translate into "gutless" and slow (as compared to an engine built to automotive specs).

That being said, I did purchase a new cylinder head that was listed for automotive or forklift use. As far as I could tell the head was identical to the van head (although not all the sensor holes were drilled/tapped). See my blog HERE (http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/entry.php?38-4yec-Engine-Rebuild-part-2) for more details. I drilled & tapped the holes myself. There were some other issues (which I corrected) & the head is performing well. Tim

Earthlin
07-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Hi Guys,

I have a nice west coast van that I brought back to CT with a blown motor. Are the engine blocks basically only used in the vans in the USA or is there crossover with other Toyota models from that era? If it's coming from another van it doesn't matter if it's 4wd or 2wd, auto or manual right?

Lastly does anyone have a good low mileage, or clean rebuilt motor they want to sell? Preferably in the Northeast USA.

Thanks a lot!

Peter

moverbaugh
07-23-2015, 09:13 AM
Rockauto lists rebuilt 4Y engines, amazingly enough.

Earthlin
07-23-2015, 10:00 AM
Thanks Moverbaugh, that's a little pricey for me but I'll keep it in mind as an option.

NWVanner
07-23-2015, 12:24 PM
There's a few engines listed in the Northeast on www.car-part.com. I went this route to replace the 3Y engine in my 85. Some risk because you don't know the full history, but it worked for me. Van is running great!

Earthlin
07-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Thanks you guys. Does anyone know if all 4y motors fit the van? There are some brand new 4y forklift motors on eBay that are the same price as the Rock Auto remanufactured ones.

I'd still prefer to buy one from somebody here on the forum that has seen it running, otherwise I'll probably gamble on a Car-Part salvage yard motor.

originalkwyjibo
07-25-2015, 11:21 AM
The forklift engine question is an ongoing one. The general consensus is that due to it's industrial application internal components, ie pistons and rods, may be more robust therefore heavier. Heavier rotating parts make for a slower revving lower peak horsepower engine. It's possible the camshaft may be different as well. Of course the reality is that no one has torn down a van and forklift engine for physical comparison. At least not that has been posted here. Some have used new or rebuilt heads listed for forklifts with no apparent issues and the block should be the same. Other than that, it's largely unknown territory.

gushaman
09-01-2015, 06:35 AM
There is a model of 7 series toyota forklift which has an efi gas manifold, as well as an inline adapter for use on propane. Maybe i can figure out how to post a pic.

I uploaded a pic from the manual to my folder on here. It says the pic is pending.

Jlhollowx13
09-04-2015, 09:01 PM
I was wondering how feasible it would be to put one of the forklift engines on ebay in the van. I figured if you were looking at a rebuild vs replacement, this might work. At $1700 shipped for a forklift engine, could you swap your old intake, etc over to the new block and call it good?

gushaman
09-04-2015, 09:12 PM
A cool idea, but the forklift engine hase sme differences. No harmonic balancer and different pulleys. While the empty block may be the same, everything inside is not. If you have a broken block it may be an idea, but you waould jave to swap everything over incliding crank, and all that so not really worth it. If you put a forklift 4y in your van it would be very slow. Like 50 horsepower slow. Plus the moder forklift engine blocks have a few slight differences in mounting points, length of rear of crank where clutch bolts on etc.....if you were in the 3rd world and its all you had, then it becomes an option. But for 1700 if you just dont have an engine at all, you can buy an efi 4y from chine