PDA

View Full Version : Toyota van RECALL for steering bevel gears

wirewrkr
07-11-2012, 12:05 PM
I went on line this morning to google this recall that I had heard mentioned on the forum a few times.
I found the recall at some Toyota site, and dug around and found this phone number 800-331-4331 for Toyota
and called it.
I spoke to a person who took some info from me, then gave her my van V.I.N. and lo and behold, my van has never had the recall performed.
Wow, that is so cool that I can take my 24 year old van in and get a free steering box installed. Hopefully they still make the part!

JFratzke
07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Mine is eligible for the recall as well. Problem is, the nearest Toyota dealership is 2 hours away from me and they won't order the part until they perform an inspection. The part is in Japan and costs $500, so they won't just order one. Looks like I'll have to make two trips over there. If my van needs the recall, I wonder if they will let me drive it home?

timsrv
07-11-2012, 01:13 PM
That's good information, thanks for passing it on. Tim

wirewrkr
07-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Mine is eligible for the recall as well. Problem is, the nearest Toyota dealership is 2 hours away from me and they won't order the part until they perform an inspection. The part is in Japan and costs $500, so they won't just order one. Looks like I'll have to make two trips over there. If my van needs the recall, I wonder if they will let me drive it home?
That doesn't sound right. Call the number I posted and ask about that. That just sounds wrong.
Who knows?

mahleek87
07-22-2012, 04:21 AM
I remember I got this done on my toyota van around 2006. The local stealership made some bs excuse about not being able to do it and I dont remember exactly what the excuse was but I ended up taking the van 15 miles north to another dealership that decided to do the job so I got my free steering gearbox installed.:dance2:

trestlehed
07-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Check this thread on TVP. This was my experience with the recall. Contains a link to the steering bevel recall service campaign.
If you print out the service campaign info and show it to the dealer, at that point they can't play games
and BS their way out of performing the work. Hope this is of help:

http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7337&hilit=steering+bevel+gear

Tan Van
02-23-2018, 09:17 AM
Well I'm happy to report that in January 2018 it is still possible to have this recall remedied...
first, go to the NHTSA site to plug in your VIN# (to see whether your van has been fixed or not)... http://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

Thank You to the wonderful service and parts department at Don Jacob's Toyota in Milwaukee !!!
The part is still somehow available, and, although I wasn't expecting to notice the difference, I can report that as i drove out of the dealership it felt unbelievably tight- like a brand new van.

JDM VANMAN
02-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Wow I that awesome, I just typed in my vin and I’m coming up clean. Do you happpen to know the price of part??

thank you:thmbup:

JDM

Tan Van
02-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Lost the part #s I had looked up; but I remember about $600 (list) ... with most places selling for about $450

(also, at first my dealer said my part #s weren't coming up right ... (new numbering system now ?)...nevertheless, they called 2 days later and said they had the part in and were ready for me to drop off the van.

JDM VANMAN
02-23-2018, 07:52 PM
Nice here’s what I’ve located-

YR36/4WD/Manual Trans
Gear Assy Steering Bevel w/Power Steering
part number: 45380-27020 (https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~gear~assy~steering~bevel~45380-27020.html?Vin=JT3YR36W6H0002132&Filter=()&Location=steering-column-shaft,,45380) Replaced by:45380-37010 (tel:45380-37010)

JDM

bikerjosh
02-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Just checked and it is an open recall on my van as well. Wonder if I should take it in; thinking on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra. I almost all of my own work, so not to hip to turn my van over to a dealership. Should note; I never use dealerships for anything other than parts.
Josh

AD2101
02-26-2018, 08:22 PM
Ehh, my experience was different. I don't believe I called ahead and just went in one afternoon and informed them I had an open recall. They took the van to the back of their shop, slapped a bunch of FIPG on the steering bevel gear that was already on it, and called it good.

Maybe if I would have called ahead and demanded a new bevel gear and scheduled the service it would have been a different story but the whole process was largely a waste of time for me.

Tan Van
02-28-2018, 11:09 PM
I do almost all of my own work, so not to hip to turn my van over to a dealership. Should note; I never use dealerships for anything other than parts.
Josh

I know... I do nearly everything myself as well ... However...this same Milwaukee dealership has done miracles before. My previous van ('86- with Wisconsin rust) needed a radiator. A local radiator shop told me to junk the van (because of rust by the radiator mounts?). Don Jacobs Toyota took the van in, made new custom mounts, and welded them in, and replaced the radiator all for about $500.

Burntboot
03-01-2018, 07:42 AM
The way it was explained to me, by a trusted Toyo employee, was that the box needs to be inspected, if found to be okay, it gets resealed, if not it gets replaced

Mine was inspected and passed eons ago so, when failure set in, I had to pay to replace.

Tan Van
03-01-2018, 08:54 AM
bummer, Burntboot...

if someone had taken my current('87)van in and got it re-sealed 20 years ago, I'd never have know the difference. My old '86 had the recall taken care of long before I got it 17 years ago (probably got a "re-permatex-only")... I got lucky this time by getting this new gearbox for free - it always feels good seeing shiny-new OEM parts bolted on. So much more so when it cost me no money or labor.

hekkie
03-02-2018, 05:10 AM
Hello,

Is this recall only for the US or world wide.

greetings JP

timsrv
03-02-2018, 11:33 AM
I guess you'd need to talk to Toyota to know for sure. Here's a link to a post with the most complete info we have regarding the recall:

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?658-Steering-rack-options&p=10575#post10575

alexpski
08-03-2022, 11:43 AM
I’m about to buy an 86 VanWagon on Friday and my Carfax says that this part is considered a safety problem obviously because it’s in a recall. I called the number I found above spoke with a nice lady named Kathy and she said that it is still covered at no cost to me even the vehicle is 30+ years old. Toyota will make good on it! Wow! So now I have a case number and contact information all I have to do is talk to my local Toyota dealer.