PDA

View Full Version : Door Seals/ noise reduction

RawbSpear
09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Unfortunately new seals are no longer available so i had to find a solution to get rid of the wind and its noise out of my cab. This product is what i found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260750556252?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Works Fantastic. Best noise reduction i have done to this van. No joke.:)

takes about 30 minutes per door including cleaning time. You put this under the original seal. It helps to have an assistant to push back the seal while the second person lays it in.

Loganator17
09-17-2012, 11:19 AM
How much did you use? Was 20 meters enough?

TheCrippler
08-22-2016, 12:58 PM
I know this thread is super old but thought maybe it was best to spark it back up vs creating a new thread.

I've got some leaky door seals on almost all my doors. I can see sunlight in places on both front doors and the same thing on the back door. The slider is good though :) The seals actually look like their in good shape but I think their just really old and compressed so they dont seal like they should. I've dug around the internet and cant seem to find anything but generic replacement seals. Does anyone have any experience finding original seals or adapting from another vehicle or maybe there are some good generics out there?

What about a body shop? Maybe they have sources or techniques for fixing this sort of thing? I would imagine there are some super old or classic cars out there that need seals. what do people do?

RawbSpear
08-22-2016, 01:17 PM
I know this thread is super old but thought maybe it was best to spark it back up vs creating a new thread.

I've got some leaky door seals on almost all my doors. I can see sunlight in places on both front doors and the same thing on the back door. The slider is good though :) The seals actually look like their in good shape but I think their just really old and compressed so they dont seal like they should. I've dug around the internet and cant seem to find anything but generic replacement seals. Does anyone have any experience finding original seals or adapting from another vehicle or maybe there are some good generics out there?

What about a body shop? Maybe they have sources or techniques for fixing this sort of thing? I would imagine there are some super old or classic cars out there that need seals. what do people do?

use the item i posted, it works.

trestlehed
08-22-2016, 02:45 PM
RawbSpear wrote:
takes about 30 minutes per door including cleaning time. You put this under the original seal. It helps to have an assistant to push back the seal while the second person lays it in.

Not sure I understand. You leave the original old weather stripping and add the new stuff?
Is it possible to post any pics/video to clarify?

Thanks!

RawbSpear
08-22-2016, 03:11 PM
yah, you clean all the metal underneath the original seal and then put this underneath it. It adds bulk thereby creating a seal. Took me about 30 per door. worked really well. I had my helper push back the seal for me so i could apply the new seal easier.

TheCrippler
08-22-2016, 08:51 PM
yah, you clean all the metal underneath the original seal and then put this underneath it. It adds bulk thereby creating a seal. Took me about 30 per door. worked really well. I had my helper push back the seal for me so i could apply the new seal easier.

I went ahead and ordered it. If you follow that ebay link that was shared it has some pictures of the application process. Glad to hear you had good luck with it. I'll report back with some pictures of me installing it when I do mine.

Gambit
08-24-2017, 01:37 PM
Resurrecting an old thread to see if we could get an update on whether or not this helped with leaky door seals?

Thanks!

TheCrippler
08-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Resurrecting an old thread to see if we could get an update on whether or not this helped with leaky door seals?

Thanks!

It helped for sure but it's not like new door seals. I applied them by sticking them between the metal door frame and the original rubber. Over time they have squeezed out a little in places where they did not adhere well. I'm wondering if it would work better to apply them between the folds of the original rubber?

Overall I'd say go for it. Cheap and effective