PDA

View Full Version : Engine Oil

pastadog
01-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Ya I guess I'm just not sure which oil to go with.... Given I live in an area that's not so so great to work on my van I take it to EZ-Lube down the street. I would ask them whats the best oil but more an likely they're going to try and sell me the "best" they have....

I figure it's better to ask you all these stupid and easy questions given I will get honest and experienced answers. I'm sure those guys at those oil change places don't see these vans everyday! :LOL2:

I honestly don't even know what type of oil is currently in there..... previous got an oil change the day before I bought it

pastadog
01-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Just checked the EZ-Lube receipt and it looks like I am running Race team Oil 5w-30 with a pure pro oil filter....:cnfsd: Not even name brand and after doing some research I found this about Race Team Oil from there one page junk website "Raceteam Products is a full service manufacturing and distribution company dedicated to serving the needs of Supermarket Chains, Convenience Store Distribution, Automotive Distributors and the Economy -Dollar Store Markets. We have over 15 years experience involved in category management of the automotive sector.".... YIKES!!!! Oil change soon or is it no big deal?

llamavan
01-02-2011, 05:55 PM
For starters, the Vanwagon owner's manuals all call for 10W30 ...

Gwen

pastadog
01-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Well alrighty then! Ha Ha Ha

Weird I'm not leaking any fluids though.... Should I change that out ASAP? Is it not good for my engine? Thanks guys!

pastadog
01-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I bet I could get them to change it for free.... I'm a pretty smooth negotiator :clap:

Now I'm nervous that it's to little of weight! Weird they would have put that in, instead of the recommendation.

llamavan
01-02-2011, 07:11 PM
Seems to me it would be because it's cheaper for them to use one weight of oil in everything and claim they put in something different if someone calls them on it.

I wouldn't ever go back there, not even to get it changed to what they will claim is 10W30. NOT worth taking the chance. Oil changes are fast and easy DIY.

There's all kinds of oil change place scams going on all the time; just google it, or google Jiffy Lube, etc. Quick-oil-change places have been caught charging for services they never provided, including not even changing the oil!!! It works fine for them because most people don't keep their vehicles long and most are insured (because they're making payments the entire time), so getting caught doesn't even put a dent in their business.

So ... go get yourself some oil with a good solid reputation (FWIW, I use primarily Pennzoil, but there are others), a genuine Toyota filter, a drain plug gasket, and a spare OEM drain plug from Toyota specifically for your van (just in case — after being manhandled by minimum wage employees of bargain oil change places, it is probably somewhere between showing wear and damn near rounded off). A pan to drain the oil into and a funnel. There's all kinds of "how to change the oil in your car" pages on the internet. Read 'em! Then do it! :dance2:

(Please don't make me play the "I'm a girl and I change my own oil" card, OK???) :wnk:

Gwen

pastadog
01-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Ha Ha Ha Ha Well played sir, well played!:clap:

Dogfish
01-03-2011, 07:37 AM
It is my understanding that 5W30, 10W30 and even 0W30 are all 30 weight oil. The other number relates to their density at colder temps before you crank it over. 5W30 may be better for someone living where I do compared to California... but at California's temperature no difference would be seen.

This link is from Amsoil. (http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/which-30-weight-oil.php) It refers to synthetics, but my understanding is that it also applies to traditional, organic oil.

I think that any recommendation of 5W30 in the owners manual is because of the timing. I believe that 5W30 was new on the scene when the Vans were new.

As in everything, probably best to do your own research, though.

Oil is cheap compared to engine repair... if there is ever any doubt re: the quality of the oil in your van... change it.

I agree that changing the oil in our vans is painless. In fact, it is the easiest vehicle that I have changed oil in. I change mine in my driveway (use a pan to collect it) and don't use ramps or a jack.

I once had to leave on an unplanned trip and I wanted to change the oil first. We were having one of those freezing rain/ice storms. I didn't feel like getting drenched so I went to a Jiffy Lube.

The bastards wanted to charge me $30 more because it was a van! I told them how easy it was to change... no joy. I told them that I would change the filter when they were ready. Negative... insurance regulations and mumble, mumble.

Needless to say... I drove away.
-Jim

mahleek87
10-14-2012, 06:56 AM
What kind of Engine oil are you using in your vans? and why?

Currently I have 330,000 miles on my van and have replaced the headgasket, rod bearings, and piston rings, rear main seal about 35K ago. Everything runs smooth and also the van doesnt leak or really burn any oil. I have been using Castrol 10W40 GTX conventional and promptly have been changing my oil every 2,500-3,000 miles, but am thinking of switching to Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W40 because I want to be able to go up to 3,500-4,000 between oil changes due to all of the driving I do. I also want maximum protection in my van and after all of these miles i have driven I am not a believer in conventional oils. I was using conventional oil in my rear diff and now there is a slight noise. Switched it to redline synthetic 80W and the noise is almost gone.

Burntboot
10-14-2012, 09:18 AM
I believe in what the factory engineers tell me.
I run 10W30, only because I cannot easily find 10W40.
I also stick to NAME brand oil, usually Pennzoil, by any nationally recognized brand will do and I do NOT mix brands.
I always buy a couple extra litres (quarts) to have top-ups on hand if needed so as to not mix different formulations.
I do NOT use reconstituted/recycled oil and I do not use budget brands, but do stock up when my preferred brand goes on sale.
Castrol, Valvoline and the others majors all have a good product.

I do follow the factory scheduled maintenance for non-severe service.
I live in the country and the trips are long and steady, if I lived in the city I would follow the severe schedule
(stop and go driving, with shorter trips and less highway).
That said MY manual states 8000km (5000mls) for severe service and 12000km (80000mls) for normal service.

There is no reason to be going with the service interval you have currently chosen, though I suspect it was suggested by either a respected family member or a service provider (as opposed to the guy who designed the engine).
The colour of the oil is usually a good indicator of it's condition, as long as the oil isn't very dark/black then it is still usable.
This isn't conjecture, but based on info relayed from oil company chemists, by the way.
For the record, I have been following this mantra for all my cars for the past 30 years with no ill effects.
I have had to rebuild 4 engines (for my own vehicles) over the years, but ALL of those came to me with problems.

Red has 270K on the clock and while it has had tons of "exterior" repairs, aside from a timing chain, the engine hasn't been opened.
Currently, changing oil at the 12K interval, while the oil has undergone a colour change, it isn't really dark, just clearly visible on the dipstick.
I use about 1-2L between changes.

Good to know that the synthetic helped the rear end noise.

My own general rule of thumb is, that until I run into a problem, I stick with what the factory recommends.
Once problems develop and you move outside the realm of normalcy, all bets are off and you do whatever is necessary, regarding lubricants/additives/schedules that you feel will put off major repairs, without causing significant damage.

BB

mahleek87
10-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the input BB, I forgot to mention I deliver flowers and do rigorous stop and go city driving. I drive on average 55-125 miles a day 6 days a week. Usually when I change my oil at 3,000 miles I feel a difference in how the van runs. I also always use the recommended Toyota factory filter. I guess what I'm most interested in hearing is if anyone uses synthetic motor oil in their van and what they have to say about it? I remember KC used synthetic oil in his 84 van but he doesnt really drive it anymore.

timsrv
10-14-2012, 02:03 PM
The oil recommended for the van is 10w30. For hotter climates 10w40 is okay. If you have an oil pressure idiot light and the van can idle hot without that light coming on then I'd stick with 10w30. If you have a pressure gauge and can hold 6psi or more at a hot idle, then again, I'd recommend 10w30. If however you have low pressure at hot idle then I'd switch to 10w40. I don't think brand matters much. I run synthetic in mine. I switched from Amsoil to Mobile 1 recently............mainly due to availability (Amsoil is a PITA to get). I run 10w30. Tim

PS: Here's another thread where this is discussed: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?161-Does-an-Oil-Pump-fail-often

ToyotaVanNut
12-02-2013, 04:15 AM
Hi!

Me again, just wondering because I've gotten a few opinions on the oil I should use and wanted to clarify/check with the Tech forum!

1984 Toyota Vanwagon with 102,000 miles on it

The original mechanic who worked on it used 10W-30 (had 98,000 on it at that time), but now it is time for an oil change and I was wondering should I stick with it? A friend who knows a bit about cars recommended 10W-40 so I am just trying to figure out what would be best. Also to note I am going on a ~3,500/4,000 mile trip on Friday around the Pacific Northwest if that might influence!

Thank you guys so much again I can't thank you enough

timsrv
12-02-2013, 04:37 AM
Everybody has an opinion. This has been hashed out a few times here & probably every other automotive forum. Here's a quote from another thread:

The oil recommended for the van is 10w30. For hotter climates 10w40 is okay. If you have an oil pressure idiot light and the van can idle hot without that light coming on then I'd stick with 10w30. If you have a pressure gauge and can hold 6psi or more at a hot idle, then again, I'd recommend 10w30. If however you have low pressure at hot idle then I'd switch to 10w40. I don't think brand matters much. I run synthetic in mine. I switched from Amsoil to Mobile 1 recently............mainly due to availability (Amsoil is a PITA to get). I run 10w30. Tim

PS: Here's another thread where this is discussed: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?161-Does-an-Oil-Pump-fail-often

ToyotaVanNut
12-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Wonderful to know! I found the place to change the oil using 10W-30 and it should be perfect like you said since its gonna be a colder climate! Thanks again I can't thank you enough for your knowledge, I REALLY appreciate it!!!! :)

XxCisnerosxX
10-02-2014, 09:38 PM
The mechanic I go to for my everyday needs of my 87 2WD Automatic LE van just replaced my oil pump about a week ago.
He's going to also put on a new oil pressure switch and told me when I do my next oil change that I should use 20-50 oil instead of the 10-40 I've been using.

Just wondering what the different oil might do to the van?

Would appreciate any help!

timsrv
10-03-2014, 03:50 AM
In my opinion, unless you are going to use the van in an area with 80 deg or higher average ambient temperatures, you are having an issue with high oil consumption, low oil pressure, engine knocks, or any combination of any of these, 20-50 is too thick. Running oil that's too thick can actually deprive some engine parts of lubrication. Here's a copy/paste from a Toyota van owner's manual:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/timsrv/TVT%20pics/Engine/oilviscosity_zpsad7e8ffa.jpg

XxCisnerosxX
10-03-2014, 11:55 AM
Thanks so much!
Ill ask him myself as well but considering my oil pump is new I think I'll stay away from the thicker oil.

The temps are going to reach near 100 this week but considering I've always had 10-40 I'll keep it that way

timsrv
10-03-2014, 12:03 PM
I like 10-40 & run that in mine all rear round. Of course it's fairly mild where I live & rarely do ambient temps go outside the recommended range. So where is Gilroy? Tim

PS: Just out of curiosity, why did he replace your oil pump?

Here's a link to another thread on this subject: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?161-Does-an-Oil-Pump-fail-often

XxCisnerosxX
10-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Gilroy is in California, 30 minutes south of San Jose, where the "world famous Garlic festival" is held every July

And as for the oil pump he told me that the overall oil pressure was low. So I bought the new oil pump and oil pressure switch

timsrv
10-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Okay, California, over 100 deg, makes sense now. Might make sense to run 20-50 in the summer time, but I expect you'll be getting into the frigid 60's in a month or so, so IMO 10-40 is probably still the better choice. If however your oil pressure is low, you may be able to benefit from a thicker oil. Typically low oil pressure is caused by worn or loose bearings. Unless there were extenuating circumstances I wouldn't expect replacing the oil pump to improve this. Did replacing it improve your oil pressure?

If there's a question of oil pressure, I would install an aftermarket oil pressure gauge with numbers & get actual readings before switching oils and/or doing major work. Tim

XxCisnerosxX
10-03-2014, 02:32 PM
I actually haven't driven it. My heater core was also leaking and I managed to get the last one in the west coast for my van and the mechanic stated it was "too big" and the tubes that are straight needed to be curved. He opted to but some blue devil into it and yesterday I was with him when he did and the van started dripping water under the driver seat. I'm gonna pick it up later today and hopefully nothing is dripping

NewVanOwner
05-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Is a 10w-30 appropriate, or too thin for warmer weather?

originalkwyjibo
05-28-2015, 11:39 PM
Personally I stick with 10w30.

AD2101
05-29-2015, 12:30 AM
10w 30 here as well. I use it year around too and haven't noticed any negatives running it in the 100 degree plus heat. I don't see why moving up to 10w 40 would hurt in the summer months if you're concerned, but I don't see any need to.

timsrv
05-29-2015, 11:54 AM
I know there's more, but here's what a quick search revealed for me:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?27-Basic-Van-knowledge-for-new-owners

NewVanOwner
05-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Thank you Tim, much appreciated. :)

craftech
06-15-2015, 07:36 AM
1984 Van bought new.

20W50 summer

10W40 winter

500,000 miles

John

timsrv
06-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Here's a quote from one of the threads I linked to above:

Personally I think 20w50 is too thick for the van. I might make an exception in a warm or hot climate IF the engine was worn and couldn't maintain enough pressure otherwise. If you have any doubts about oil pressure, rig up an oil pressure gauge and take the guess work out of it.

Having too thick of oil can actually starve your engine for oil. If this oil is too thick you may not get enough volume through to the bearings and other small passages. Another potential problem is the pressure relief valve on the oil pump. If pressure gets too high, the relief opens and spills the excess oil back into the pan (instead the pump pushing it to the places it's needed). Tim

kcg795
06-15-2015, 04:33 PM
I tried 15W-40 and the camshaft bearings started whistling at about 2800 miles. I changed it to 10W-30 Full Synthetic and it's been fine ever since. Just follow the user manual. If your engine is pretty worn, 10W-40 should be fine.

NewVanOwner
12-07-2015, 10:19 AM
This has been a bit of a hot topic on some forums. What are your thoughts on using oils with higher ZDDP in our beloved vans?

Most off-the-shelf oils are now in the 800 PPM range, down significantly from the past. Is our engine design one which would benefit from seeking something higher? Or, is it really a non-issue here?

What oil do you use?

timsrv
12-07-2015, 03:20 PM
Oil is quite frequently a hotly debated subject on forums. I don't know anything about the argument on ZDDP & due to hype & misinformation I doubt anybody really does. Based on the arguments I've followed in the past, it's my belief that most of these "magic potions" are just marketing techniques. Rather than admit they got duped, most people will exaggerate their experiences and swear by said products.

Bottom line? Make sure it's got oil in it. Unless there are special circumstances, stick with the type and weight recommended by the manufacturer. Brand probably doesn't matter much. As for me? I prefer to run synthetic (currently using Royal Purple 10w40). Synthetic is expensive though and due to that I will only use it in vehicles that do not burn or leak excessive amounts of oil. For those rigs I get gallon jugs of the cheapest stuff I can find. Thankfully I no longer own any vehicles that burn oil. As a result all my rigs are now running on synthetic. Tim

NewVanOwner
08-16-2017, 02:30 PM
I just picked up a new van. Miles are around 150k.

There's a sticker on the windshield indicating the last oil change was with 20w-50. Is this an acceptable weight? Or, should I drain it?

Thanks.

ratatouille
08-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Congrats on the van.:thmbup: The manual states that's OK to use. But personally I only use that if it's on sale and the hot months of the year. Normally I grab 10w-40. I'm not an expert but with my van I just find it sounds a bit better when I run 10w-40.:?:

NewVanOwner
08-17-2017, 08:58 AM
Congrats on the van.:thmbup: The manual states that's OK to use. But personally I only use that if it's on sale and the hot months of the year. Normally I grab 10w-40. I'm not an expert but with my van I just find it sounds a bit better when I run 10w-40.:?:

Appreciate the response. And thanks:lol:. Glad to know it's at least in the manual. Once the summer has past I'll also be doing 10w-40. That's what I would have guessed.

trestlehed
08-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Several years ago Timsrv postulated that 20w-50 oil might be too thick and have trouble getting thru
the oil pump screen at the bottom of your motor, thus giving you a constant oil pressure trouble light.

I actually experienced this, so I went back to using OEM spec 10w-40 oil.

JPERL
08-20-2017, 12:18 PM
I have run 20-50W where temps are consistently over 80 degrees in my past Vans that had high mileage and with especially worn guide valve seals which reduced the amount of blue smoke on acceleration due to thicker viscosity

oldvanguy
09-03-2017, 01:05 PM
i ran castrol syntec 20w50 for approximately 100,000 with no issues. last oil change (5k ago), i switched to 5w50 castrol full synthetic. it's a little spendy @$9.67/quart, but i am a synthetic believer.