PDA

View Full Version : soft clutch pedal

gushaman
10-15-2012, 12:25 AM
i test drove a five speed 4wd van today, and it shifted great, and quietly too, but the pedal feel was very soft and went almost to the floor, although the clutch would disengage at about 1/3 to the floor. it just felt weird and wanted to see if anyone else has had the same symptom, and what the cause is.

i also wonder how hard it is to spruce up the electric windows in the vans, most of mine have been manual crank winders. i dont want to replace the motors, the windows work, i just want them to be faster. and quieter maybe

thanks in advance, gush

Burntboot
10-16-2012, 07:48 PM
I guess it depends a lot on what your used to.
I have only driven my own so have nothing to compare to but the pedal requires little effort.
Definitely not heavy like some vehicles.
Being hydraulic it will be lighter than a cable operated clutch
Every Toyota (model) seems to be different, the turtle is different from the RAV and both feel different then Red.

As long as it shifts well and the friction point is near the midway point, all should be good.

If your worried about it, take a look up under the dash and see if the Master is leaking.
You can also pull the boot back for the clutch arm and get a little look inside, not a lot can be seen but if the clutch is worn dirt will be in evidence.
Mine leaks a little but it only drips onto the carpet occasionally so it isn't very noticeable.
Also check the slave while your looking around and make sure it is in good shape.
For what it's worth, new assemblies are NLA but overhaul kits are available from the dealer.
BB

Reducto
10-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Mine is really, really light as well. I thought it was not even connected it was so light. It works just fine, though, after 10k miles. That includes lots of hills at high and low speeds. I had one issue with the engagement point shifting shortly after it was installed but that has not come back.

It doesn't slip at all, so I guess that's just the way it is.

gushaman
10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
well from you guys description, this van is doing fine. i am used to corollas, and large trucks and equipment which have very stiff pedals, so thats why it seemed soft. it disengages the clutch early, but will keep going almost to the floor after, and doesnt re engage until itas almost at the top of its travel

Burntboot
10-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Worst case scenario is the clutch is nearing the end of it's useable life, depends on what you mean by "grabs near the top" of the pedal. IF it's slightly above the midway point, no issue, if it's in the last inch of the stroke then the time is coming soon.
Hydraulic clutches tend to be self adjusting but as the disc gets thing, the friction point will tend to rise relative to pedal stroke.
But the clutch is a wear item, just have a plan in your head that you will have to deal with it sooner perhaps than later.
It isn't a hard job, technically speaking, mostly grunt work, but I did mine in the driveway, without a lift, in November no less.
If you have it in your head that it is a job coming up, when it arrives, it won't be such a surprise.
BB