• How to remove throttle body and EGR valve

In this I'll show you how to remove the EGR system and Throttle body on a 1986 2WD CRG TV with a 4YE engine.

To get to the EGR valve easily you'll need to take off the throttle body. And if you're cleaning one you might as well clean the other.

First thing is to take off the air intake, the big hose going from air cleaner to throttle body. You can use a phillips head screwdriver, but it's easier to use a 10mm socket. And be gentle they are prone to cracking, so don't give it a reason to.

Ok, so you might as well inspect it and see if it needs replacing while you're at it.

Now you want to disconnect all the vacuum hoses on the throttle body, EGR Modulator and EGR valve. There are 2 coolant hoses underneath the throttle body; remove these as well. You should probably label them to remember where they go
    . And in keeping with the theme, you should probably replace these hoses too as they get hard and brittle and develop cracks and leaks.

Now you need to disconnect the TPS sensor. It is located on the rear of the throttle body. I'm touching it with a screwdriver in the pic below. Now it is held on by a connector that has a wire retainer on it. Be careful not to break the connector and remove the wires first.

Now remember the TPS is calibrated. So mark where the screws are so you can reposition it exactly during reassembly, or watch this video on adjusting the TPS. And yes you have to remove it because carb cleaner will destroy it.

To take off the throttle body you need to first remove the throttle cable. It's just one 12mm nut holding it on. Then remove the three 12mm bolts and one 12mm nut in the four corners.

I went went ahead and took the EGR modulator off in this next pic. Very simple, once the hoses are off it just slides out.

Sometimes the throttle body is very hard to get off as mine was, it needs some persuasion. I took a 2x4 and placed it on the top part of the throttle body that was protruding and gave it one WHACK. Boom goes the dynamite. Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

Great! Now you can clean your throttle body nice and shiny. Mine was terrible and I used a can of carb cleaner then soaked it in degreaser and worked it over with a rag and toothbrush and brass wire brush. Be sure to clear out all the channels like EGR etc.

Now you can shoot some carb cleaner in your intake manifold. Try to wipe out whatever you can.

Now to remove the EGR valve. Slide the EGR modulator holder thing off. And remove two 12mm nut on either side of the valve.

Cool, now trace the EGR valve to where it terminates into the exhaust. Use a 15/16 wrench to free the nut. And the hole thing comes out through the top of the engine.

Now inspect the EGR valve where it meets the engine block. If it's clogged then clear it out. If not, just shoot the carb cleaner through all the pipes and openings. Use a wire brush if you got one to removed carbon build up. If it's really bad, clean it with your throttle body and soak it.

Phew. Ok. Intermission.

Now everything should be clean and dry and look like this.

Perfect. Let us reassemble.

In this part RTV sealant is your best friend. You should buy a replacement gasket for the throttle body and EGR. But if you didn't, go to your parts store and grab this for 8 bucks.

Scrape your old gasket off and smear this on. Smear this around all your vacuum hose line nipples too. It dries and make a airtight, heat resistant gasket seal.

Tighten everything up, double check for hoses in their right places. And wait about and hour before starting so the RTV can set.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: How to remove throttle body and EGR valve started by Cornato View original post