Thread: Rear Coil Springs

My Van(s):
    Abby AKA The Blue Abyss 86 2wd 5spd @180K

Rear Coil Springs

Wondered if anyone knew of any other springs that can be swapped into a 2WD van? My rears are a bit saggy, and the drivers side leans a bit as the gas tank empties. Its caused excessive wear on my drivers side tires, and I'd like to just replace them before I go in for a front end alignment.

I've looked at local wreckers inventory, but the closest Canadian recycler with springs are on the East Coast, and they're in bad condition.

Does anyone know the specs of the springs? Even if I could put in something close enough to stock, then I could level off the fronts with my torsion bars. Worst case if I can't find any springs, I may have to get a shop to make a set for me...

Thanks in advance!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Rear Coil Springs

I'm not sure what other vehicles might have springs that could possibly interchange, but I did a cross reference in the EPC using the Part # for the van springs and see there's no other Toyota that uses these (they are van specific). The part number for these springs is Toyota #48231-28120. The MSRP is $123.12 but they can be had for about $90 each from one of the discount internet sites like www.1stToyotaParts.com.

Another "band-aid" fix (that can also be an upgrade) is to install air bags inside the existing springs. Firestone makes a bag for this application. Here's a link: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fi...yota/model/van . I would probably avoid purchasing used springs as anything you would find is already 25 or so years old & may already have the same issues yours do. Tim

Here's a link to a thread where I did that job on my van: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...o-work-on-4wd)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 4x4 5spd

So I just ordered Air Lift air springs (air bags) for the rear coils. I purchased these from a link on the theothervansite.com. I just took them out of the package and they seem short. They are only about 6 or 7 inches tall un-inflated. Do they expand quite a bit, or do you think I bought the wrong ones. PN-60812, Air Lift 1000

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Posting links to other sites is okay here at TVT, so don't hesitate to do so if you think it will make your post more useful.

I only have experience with the Firestone bags & not sure what (if any) issues there might be with the Air Lift bags. I did check your part number and it shows correct for the van. Are you saying the bag is short compared to a loaded spring or to an unloaded spring? I would expect it to be a little short as compared to an unloaded spring, so if that's the case it should be fine. These are a bit like balloons and do change drastically with pressure, so I wouldn't worry about them being just a little short. Tim

5. 05-22-2016, 04:32 PM

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto 覧覧覧覧

This thread is a little old and now the OEM springs are now NLA. Anyone have any ideas for what springs I can use for my 85 2wd van? I see a lot of talk about 4wd but this was one of the only posts talking about 2wd.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Maybe someone can pull from this for you. Unless you are looking for brand new in which case, custom made is always an option.

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto 覧覧覧覧

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Maybe someone can pull from this for you. Unless you are looking for brand new in which case, custom made is always an option.
    I've seen it before but can't find it through search but would love if someone has used other springs and cut them down to fit, a la custom job. I thought I heard maybe Ford Windstar had the same diameter springs and just needed to be cut down.