Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Radiator for 4WD

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4x4

Radiator for 4WD

Hello toyota friends,

Parts are getting hard to find whether in the yard or parts place! My van has 293,000 and and had the 2nd
    radiator.if anybody has the this part & the right one with lesser miles i hoped I'd like to know asap..You may
    email or call me at 571 277 0109............

Thank you all,
    Wesley

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Re: Radiator for 87 van LE 4WD

My 4x4 van Radiator measures 13" x 24". I've been researching other radiators that will fit the van either as an upgrade or dual radiator setup.

So far I've come up with Mustang and VW Soirocco. Performance models are available for either of these cars.

The Soirocco has the inlet / out on the same side. I havent confirmed what size hoses yet.

My Van(s):
    '84 & '87

For some reason the 4WD radiator (part #16400‑73170, replaced by part #16400-73190) is showing up as available on several different Toyota Parts sites.

I often use ToyotaPartsZone.com, which is showing the '87 4WD rad available for $421.72.

This may or may not be true, but I checked a couple other sites which also listed the 4WD radiator as available.

I don't know why it would be NLA, and then show back up.

TPZ is usually quite good at telling me when "The part you are looking for is NOT Available" !

Give 'em a call and see if it's true...
    1984 DLX Manual 350K
    1987 4WD LE Manual 112K

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Rather than spend that kind of money on a stock radiator, I would highly recommend having the old one recored with a 4 row high efficiency core. Tim

My Van(s):
    '84 & '87

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Rather than spend that kind of money on a stock radiator, I would highly recommend having the old one recored with a 4 row high efficiency core. Tim
    What's a ball-park good price for a shop to do that job?

(just wondering...the cooling system on my new 4WD is fine, but the van is at the 'magic' mile mark of of about 120K...meaning all the random stuff that goes wrong after 100K will fall to me, the second owner...)
    1984 DLX Manual 350K
    1987 4WD LE Manual 112K

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's a quote from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    4WD Radiators. NLA from Toyota, NLA from everywhere else now, too, including 1-800-Radiator.

Solution — grab ANY 4WD radiator you find in a junkyard and stash it, even if you don't need it! (If you have an A/T van and can only find a M/T van radiator, there are people here and elsewhere who will swap with you. No sense in letting any more get crushed.) As long as the tanks are good, it can be recored.

Even better solution — send away your radiator, or a harvested one, for a high-efficiency four-row recore. This outfit has done several and is keeping the build specs (their ref #7403) on file:

Ability Radiator
    260 A Garden Hwy
    Yuba City, CA 95991-5500
    (530) 673-0813; ask for Greg

I paid $342 plus shipping for one in mid-2010.

Gwen

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Here's a quote from another thread:
    Hello online friends,

Thank you all for your response !!!! About my radiator, i did exactly what the majority suggested. I
    had it RECORED and it's just as good as new! It cost $335. It was a blessing when i was calling around
    and somebody referred me to this guy here in Manassas Va who does recoring work at his place.
    If anybody needs recoring you can try calling John Sorrell 703 409 2813. Attached is a pic of my new radiator.

Regards,
    Wesley
    .P1140024.jpg

P1140023.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4WD LE Van w/Auto with custom 4-row core radiator

The Ability Radiator at Yuba City, CA reportedly uses a high-efficiency 4-row radiator core that is manufactured by

http://jbrspecialties.com

J B Radiator Specialties Inc.
    Sacramento, California
    Phone: (916) 381-4790

My local radiator shop in north Los Angeles uses this same 4-row radiator core to construct 'desert racing' radiators which is popular with the desert racing crowd around Southern California (e.g., SoCal). However, I was told that this 4-row core allows for *less solder* to solder the water tanks on either side of the 4-row core. They actually suggested that the 3-row high-efficiency re-core would be a better choice for durability for this reason. To construct the 4-row high-efficiency re-core using my old radiator tanks was under $300 at my local radiator shop.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Has anyone ever considered jumping the AC fans to come on to supply more air to the radiator?

You could do this with a manual switch or a thermo switch. Easy if you already have an E fan on the radiator.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Not sure about 2WD's but on a 4WD the condensor is mounted horizontally, ahead of the rad area and the fans blow down.
    Can't see how they would do anything to help the radiator cool better.
    BB

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

Has anyone here ever dealt with a cracked tank? One of my vans' right-side radiator tank has a small weep near the top. Tried cleaning it up and putting some JB Weld over it as a temporary fix, but it's having a hard time curing in the 40-50F temps here in the NW. Toyota Parts Zone lists a new one for $294.72; I'm betting it's aftermarket. Might try my usual parts source at Lithia in Springfield, OR. I have one recored by Ability, but it's buried *deep* in the back of my jam-packed storage space. So...anyone who has ever had a tank repaired, I'd be very grateful for the benefit of your experience.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

It could be soldered. Maybe not now that it has jb weld in it. Take it to a radiator shop and ask em of it can be repaired. If not ask them to record it with a 4 row.
    Last edited by coronan; 02-03-2015 at 10:51 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If this is for one of your 4wd vans then there's nothing available (not even aftermarket). Some parts sites may still list it but I'm guessing it will come back as NLA when you place the order. Like coronan says, when you have an issue with a radiator pull it out and take it to a radiator shop. They are the experts and if it can be fixed they will fix it. Never a good idea to put epoxy or anything else on a radiator, but I'm guessing it won't stick good enough to create a problem anyhow (probably come right off when they mess with it). Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Has anyone here ever dealt with a cracked tank? One of my vans' right-side radiator tank has a small weep near the top. Tried cleaning it up and putting some JB Weld over it as a temporary fix, but it's having a hard time curing in the 40-50F temps here in the NW. Toyota Parts Zone lists a new one for $294.72; I'm betting it's aftermarket. Might try my usual parts source at Lithia in Springfield, OR. I have one recored by Ability, but it's buried *deep* in the back of my jam-packed storage space. So...anyone who has ever had a tank repaired, I'd be very grateful for the benefit of your experience.
    Hello,

These tanks are metal, like copper or whatever which can be soldered. Have you tried soldering? Better yet, depending on the radiator's
    age, have it record and you get a longer trouble-free cooling system.

That's what I did !

W

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

Thanks very much for the info, gentlemen. I'm planning on trucking her down to Oregon in a couple of weeks. I can virtually wipe off the JB Weld, fortunately it was cheap...if I had a clean and dry shop to work in, I'd have already fixed (silver brazed) it. But that's about a year and a half away, on my property south of Chehalis.

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

wcalayag,

How is your radiator holding up so far? Im considering making the trip to manassas va and trying to get in contact with the guy you recommended John to recore my radiator in my 86 2WD. Its leaking pretty badly and I bought this new a year ago from an advance auto parts.

Hope fully he can fix it?

My Van(s):
    1989 4wd 5speed

However, I was told that this 4-row core allows for *less solder* to solder the water tanks on either side of the 4-row core.
    Yeah, so I got the 4-row recore 5 years ago, and now there is a leak dripping from where the rows meet the tank on the driver's side. The radiator was showing up as available on a Toyota parts site, but they confirmed that it is NOT. Unsure as to where to get a radiator now, as my van is my daily driver, so I'm looking for another radiator to get recored so I can swap it in myself.

I am looking to buy a 4wd radiator.
    Last edited by Wonderwagon; 02-02-2015 at 08:43 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I wouldn't condemn the 4 row radiator just because you got a leak after 5 years. Anything can leak in that amount of time.......could even be a core defect or workmanship issue. I'd pull it out and take it to a radiator shop. I'm guessing they can fix it up for around $150 or less. If your van is a daily driver, maybe you could call them ahead of time to set up an appointment to have it fixed while you wait. FYI, I've been running my 4 core radiator for around 10 years now with no issues (knock on wood). Tim

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2WD 394K (Re-ringed Engine at 300K, Replaced HG, Still has original timing chain and oil pump) 1989 Toyota Van 2WD Purchased @ 171K now 220K

Tim where did you get your radiator re cored? If I get mine done I'll see if I can ship it to the same shop you got yours done from. All the shops around here suck or are too far

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Mine was done at a local shop "Mac's Radiator" by a guy I felt comfortable with. Since then the shop has stopped doing work on location. They are still there, but they simply take radiators and transport to their Portland shop to have the work done on them. Once complete, they transport back to the local shop. I didn't like that so I switched to Wilson's radiator in Vancouver, WA. Those guys do their own work in-house and they know what they're doing. I haven't had them do any custom recores, but if I needed one I wouldn't hesitate to trust them with it. The core used in my radiator was a Modine High efficiency core & it's been doing good.

Due to the age and rareness or our vehicles, it's understandable that a shop may not be familiar with where to get the core. That's why it could be important to know who makes the product you want. For the 2wd it's the Modine core, and for the 4wd it's J B Radiator Specialties in Sacramento (MonTex posted earlier in this thread). Armed with this information, any competent shop should be able to obtain parts and do the recore. Tim