Thread: AT Valve Body Swap..?

My Van(s):
    (2) 86 2WD auto LE's (Daily driver has 335k+miles) (1) 87 4WD auto Conversion (90k orig miles) (1) 87 4WD auto LE (1) 88 2WD auto LE (1) 89 4WD auto Conversion (1) 89 4WD auto LE... Still lookin

AT Valve Body Swap..?

My daily driver, an 86 LE 2WD AT with 305k miles is shifting hard into 2nd. Based on what I have read this sounds valve related. I have another '86 with a good transmission that I could swap in.

The valve body assembly, however looks like it could be swapped in a fraction of the time to swap the entire trans. Has anyone done this? Any opinions?
    Thanks
    -Jim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd LE

Re: AT Valve Body Swap..?

I don't see why not if you are competent. Make sure to follow the fsm regarding torque specs. I know earlier toyotas had problems with the rubber check balls in the valve bodies wearing out and causing these type of problems. Another thing to consider to is overall mileage and wear on the clutch plates.

My Van(s):
    Vanessa the 86 2wd cargo and Rusty the Troubled 89 4WD. Update: Rusty is dead. A trailer dragged him over a cliff. He is crumpled and in my front field and donating parts to keep Vanessa on the road.
    Canada's West Coast when working. Home in the West Chilcotin when not.

Re: AT Valve Body Swap..?

On my 86 I had to replace the rubber(?) balls at about 135000 miles. It was worth it as the rest of the tranny was so 'young'.
    Arghhh. Har Har Har. It's a pirate's life for me!

86 2wd cargo
    89 4wd (now a crumpled mound of parts in the front yard)
    96 (3rd Gen) 4Runner Limited