Thread: Replacement head bolts / studs?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd

Replacement head bolts / studs?

Anyone know a source for new head bolts or -better yet- studs for the beloved 4Y?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Replacement head bolts / studs?

I got mine from Toyota. www.1stToyotaParts.com has them (Toyota Part #90105-12056) for $3.28 each. I would re-use the smaller bolts on the side of the head. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd

Thanks for the reply. Was browsing their parts locator site the other night but couldn't find a listing for head bolts. That part number did the trick.

Are the 4Y head bolts torque to yield (i.e. single use)? I want to make sure that I dot my i's and cross my t's when I'm screwing this thing back together.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Up until recently I've always reused head bolts without incident. I purchased new ones for the last 4y I rebuilt because they were cheap and I had time to wait. Considering all the money I poured into that engine it seemed like a good idea. I've posted this before, but here's the page of the shop manual that deals with head torque:

Oil the heads and threads of the bolts and complete the torque pattern 3 or 4 times. Start with a low value on your torque wrench and increase torque value each time you complete the sequence. When you reach the final torque value, complete that sequence twice. Don't give them an extra half turn or whatever. Stop when the torque wrench clicks and don't go above the values shown above. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd

Cool, thanks for the info.

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

are 3y head bolts the same as a 4y? and will a head gasket for a 4y fit a 3y correctly? I have looked here and elsewhere, but have seen conflicting stories. Lets assume I am only going to use toyota headgaskets, are the 3y and 4y holes in the same places?

sorry if i hijacked the thread, it seemed related

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, the heads, head gaskets, and head bolts are interchangeable. When you buy the "valve grind gasket kit" be sure to purchase the one for the year of van the intake manifold is from because the gasket for the split manifold is different (84-85 3y's have round holes and 86-87 4y's have square holes). Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

thanks tim!
    i am actually buying a master engine gasket set for the 84 and its only $60!
    but it is aftermarket, so i am going to order one of the modern style head gaskets from the forklift shop. i may see about forklift headbolts and the newer style cast aluminum rocker arm covers

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto 覧覧覧覧

Toyota is saying ten head bolts are needed for the engine. Is that correct? About to place an order and I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct amount. 3y if it matters.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, 10 big ones and 3 little ones. So far I've only replaced the 10 big ones & re-used the little ones.

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto 覧覧覧覧

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Yes, 10 big ones and 3 little ones. So far I've only replaced the 10 big ones & re-used the little ones.
    . Do you have a part number for the 3 little ones? Why not replace those if you're replacing the big ones? Did a few searches on the toyota parts website but couldn't find it.
    Thanks as always for your guidance!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've looked for those before too and couldn't easily find them. I wasn't very concerned though as it's the big bolts that seal the cylinders. The 3 little ones are just there to help extend that force to the edge. I don't believe the little ones are stressed to the same degree as the larger ones and you should be able to re-use them without issue. Tim