Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: three y head four y block

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

three y head four y block

i have been given an 84 3y van. it is a nice silver LE with blue bench/bed interior. the rings are bad and i am going to swap in a used 4y short block, using the 3y top end. essentially it will be a stroked 3y. i am doing this on a budget, both in terms of money and time. i will try to get time to post pics

i am open to tips and suggestions. i plan to use the 4y pushrods, lifters, and rocker arm, assuming they all fit the 3y head

is a 3y head cast iron?

additionally, the man who gave me this van is also selling me two 4y vans, both silver LE, one is a five speed 4wd, the other is automatic, with the dual sunroofs. OH WHAT A FEELING!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: three y head four y block

To my knowledge, all 3y and 4y vans had aluminum heads. There was a time I assumed the forklifts had cast iron heads, but when I purchased my 96 4y forklift I found it also had an aluminum head. Perhaps the older forklifts had cast iron heads but I have no idea. You being a forkilft guy I'm guessing you already know the answer to that. I have heard/read claims from others about there being cast iron heads out there "somewhere" (perhaps overseas), but I have never seen one personally. Good luck with your project. I'm guessing there will be a very noticeable improvement in performance. Thanks for using this site to document your project. I (for one) am looking forward to viewing pics and reading of your progress. Tim

PS: Here's a good 3y engine (complete) in southern CA for cheap: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/pts/3546772256.html . Too bad you're so far away........shipping would likely be a deal killer.

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

i have heard that the industrial application for the 3y is in tuggers/ baggage handlers, and that version is cast iron. i believe some of the austrailian taragos have carbbed 3y with cast iron heads, but not positive.

tim, what model is your forklift? i.e. 7fgcu30? 6fgu25?
    does it have the cast aluminum valve cover or the stamped steel? from what i can tell they are interchangeable. i may try to shoehorn the newer alloy valve cover into my 3.4y

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

It's a 42-5FG15 with the stamped steel valve cover.

My Van(s):

nice those 5 series seem to last forever.

Just found out I am going to be working overtime and saturdays. I really cant complain, too busy doing PMs on forklifts to work on MY (its been a looooong time since I could say that) Toyota Van!

I have purchased a headgasket and t-stat ($15) from 1st toyota parts. I think I ordered one for an 89 , i figure the newer the better. Its probably the same one we use at work on the 4y forklifts, but even with a generous employee discount, it couldnt beat paying $50 for an OEM headgasket. I also ordered a master engine sealing kit including oil pan gasket and valve grind kit from rockauto.com for $60.

Hopefully I will be able to go over sunday to where the van is and start disassembly. I also need to see if pull-a-part will allow me to bring a battery and jumper cables to test the compression on the one in thier yard before I buy it. Its a relatively clean looking 89 2wd panel van, and its all black. so hopefully someone kept oil in it.

im working on pics, havent figured it out yet, i think they are too big.

My Van(s):

well today i went over to my new van. it has 211k, and i am 90% sure i am the first person to crack open the intake manifold. the wires and plugs for sensorsare old and cracked apart. surprisingly, the "hose of death", or the hose from the plate at the rear of the head to the intake manifold, was in good shape, as were most of the larger lines, im going to replace them all with bulk, but it makes it alot easier when no one has messed with it.

i got as far as most of the intake and exhaust bollts, but there are two in the middle on the bottom that seem impossible!
    i tried taking the head off, but was afraid of breaking my cheapo ratchet handle. i will try just taking the head off with the exhaust and intake manifolds attached. unless anyone has an idea of how to get them off before hand

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

On the under side of the intake manifold there are 2 channels. One between the chambers #1 & #2 & the other between chambers #3 & #4. Anyhow these channels are like tunnels & just big enough to fit a socket into. With the correct length extension(s) you can get those two nuts off pretty easily. Here's a picture for reference:

My Van(s):

i havent had a chance to get back over to the van yet but i will check out those channels. i got pretty far on my own, it has been over five years since i had a van

on a side note, and a topic for another thread, i wanted to point out that some larger toyota lpg forklifts are equipped with GM 4.3l v6 engines. they use the same motor mounts.....those motors are everywhere in the auto junk yards.........
    i am not sure but i imagine with a big shoehorn and some careful measuring, one of these modern, tbi/efi, commonplace, aluminum block v6 bastard children of the famous 350ci heart of chevrolet, could find a home, in a toyota van that needs a motor.

just think: upgrading alternators, installing computer chips, cool old school air cleaners. there is a huge market of vortec modular engine parts, possibly including shorter dry sump oilpans, since i thing the height of the engine would be the issue. but they both fit in the same hole on the forklift so i think its more than possible

My Van(s):

well here is a link to my photostream. will try to find time to post individual photos. i never successfully uploaded any here they may be too big.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92648228@N04/

My Van(s):

oops, just thought of something:
    does anyone know if the torque converter, flywheel and trans input is the same between 3y and 4y?
    is the epc still available anywhere to download or use online? i will do a search when i get home from work.

My Van(s):
    1987 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by gushaman View Post
    oops, just thought of something:
    does anyone know if the torque converter, flywheel and trans input is the same between 3y and 4y?
    is the epc still available anywhere to download or use online? i will do a search when i get home from work.
    I've been using this website

http://www.toyomotorparts.com/sectio...rts-11289.html

It's like ToyoDIY but actually has the diagrams. It's really helped me out a bunch. Good luck & thanks for the link to the photos.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

When it comes to bolting up, 3y & 4y engines are externally the same (interchangeable). Block, crank, flywheel, will bolt up without issue. As you noted earlier, intake ports are a bit different (3y has round, 4y has square), but you can still interchange parts. The only other difference (other than internal displacement) is 3y has a vacuum advance distributor & 4y has electronic advance.........but the distributors can be swapped out. So if you're dropping a 4y into a spot where the 3y was, use the 3y distributor. Tim

My Van(s):

I got my 4y short block. its a little dirty, but turns very smooth. cylinders look good.

My Van(s):

well my 89 4y block is nice n clean, cleaned passages with a long brush and brake cleaner, then coated the whole thing in aerokroil. i still have to replace the FIPG on the water pump and timing cover, as well as oil pan and a few misc. places. the engine still had the factory seal packin, and all the seals were in great shape, but they are getting replaced. also i just went ahead and jumbled my pushrods up, oops. i have lots of pics, but no time, hope to post again soon

My Van(s):

just an update, I THINK I have all my gaskets. I got a aftermarket water pump, and an oem tstat, a cheap gasket set, and an OEM headgasket from toyota, as well as a tube of HONDABOND HT, its like toyota FIPG, but the honda bike dealer is closer to me, so i hope it works.
    All I have left to do is pull the old engine bkock, swap the oil pan over, seal on the timing cover/water pump cover, and install the block. Its gonna take me a minit to save up the $300 its gonna take to have the head done.

Also, the man who gave me this van, has two others, both 87s. I want to buy them, but am running out of time. Anybody know a fast, legal, way to make $2600?

My Van(s):

new aisin oil pump from rockauto. do you have to prime these before install?

what do you think of this? The damper plate was broken off and the chain has worn grooves. I think I bought a new chain, but should i worry about the grooves? will they be a problem?

my buddy has a 22re 4runner, and his chain wore all the way thru his timing cover, and he had to get it welded.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

No priming required. You can prime with a screwdriver through the distributor hole if you want, but I don't feel that's necessary. Just use a good assembly lube on your bearings and cylinders, then just start it up. The assembly lube will be enough for the first few revolutions. If that sounds too harsh, then disable the ignition and crank the starter until you see the pressure come up.

That timing cover doesn't look too bad. There's nothing too sensitive in that spot. If it wore through to the screw boss I might consider repair or replacement, but from the angle of that picture it doesn't look too bad to me. It goes without saying to replace the timing set. Tim

My Van(s):

UPDATE
    well, the guy who gave me the van, and sold me the other two, turned hostile and kept threatening to have it towed away when i wasnt around. he went back on everything he said to get me to take the van, and it upset me so much i had it towed off for scrap. he just continued to harass me about getting it done, and it took all the enjoyment out of it. oh well.

onto better things, like the two vans i have!
    the 4wd five speed needs the rear brakes done, and not much else.
    the 2wd w/sunroofs needs tps recalibrated/replaced, and coolant temp sensor (for ecu) as well as some fresh bearings, rotors, pads, and maybe calipers if i find a good deal.

it always sucks losing a van, but i gained a bunch of free extra parts!

My Van(s):

last post to this old thread.
    I went to the previous owners place and gott all the spare parts he had. I got one set of 2wd steel rims with center caps and trim rings; one set "spacecruiser" 2wd alloy rims with good tires; one set aftermarket aluminum truck rims for a 2wd van with 2 good snow tires; one and a half sets of 4wd chrome rims with usable tires. so 18 rims....... my father was not happy when he saw them behind the shed.

I also got a sliding door, front door window glass, a 5 speed trans and xfer case with hood and shifter, a whole nother LE furniture set (cap'n chairs), a full set early LE furniture set (bench seats, which I cant use) front diff and axles, front driveshaft,, and several heavy boxes full of parts (hubs, rotors, a head, etc... I havent even looked yet)

I also got a bunch of NOS oil filters, the 15601 big filter, and other assorted small parts, and a bucket of nuts and bolts. It took all day and a big penske truck (with liftgate) but i got it all. I will be posting stuff for sale when I get time.

-gush

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

Disco needed a 5 speed tranny a while back. http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...-can-t-find-it!