Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The discontinued and hard-to-find Toyota Van parts thread

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

The discontinued and hard-to-find Toyota Van parts thread

Use this thread for parts that apply to all vans, and for those that are specific to 2WD vans.
    To share information on parts that are specific to 4WD vans, please post those here.

Once I get the library section for these organized and going, I'll periodically add to it as people find both problems and solutions.

Please, please, PLEASE verify that Toyota parts are truly NLA (no longer available) before posting them as "unavailable" here. It has become increasingly common for busy dealerships to just say "nope, can't get that anymore" when what they really mean is that they don't want to "waste" their time on you. I can't begin to tally up how many "discontinued" parts I've purchased brand-new from Toyota for years AFTER other people have posted they are unavailable, or that they've gotten "the last one in the entire world."

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Re: The discontinued and hard-to-find Toyota Van parts thread

3Y van 2WD radiators, NLA from Toyota (I will be checking on 4Y rad availability shortly).
    A 4Y 2WD radiator DOES NOT QUITE FIT in a 3Y van; it won't clear the floor pan at the top driver's side corner ... guess how I learned this ... .
    solutions: recore your old radiator, or better still, harvest some junkyard radiators and keep those on hand for recore. Purchase aftermarket while they are still available.

3Y van (both 1984 and 1985) alternator harness, aka "Wire, Engine N" and "Wire, Engine #4"
    substitution: 4Y van alternator harness, Toyota P/N 82124-28034; for specific substitution instructions and options, click here

ALL vans "reserve tank level warning switch" is now NLA, as is the reserve ("overflow") tank itself, and the grommet joining the two (it was included with the switch and never available separately).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Heater control valve Toyota Part #87240-28020 (slight possibility this might eventually become available again.

Cable sub-assy, air Toyota Part #55909-28010. This is the cable that operates the air door for your heater core (one of the 2 cables controlled by the temperature slider on your heater control assembly). This one is for 84 - 88 vans.

Cable sub-assy, air Toyota Part #55909-28011. Same as above, except for 89 vans.

Cable sub-assy, water Toyota Part #55907-28010. This is the cable that operates the water valve (heater valve) under the front of the van. (the other of the 2 cables controlled by the temperature slider on you heater control assembly). This one is for 84 - 88 vans.

Cable sub-assy, water Toyota Part #55907-28011. Same as above, except for 89 vans.

Packing, Engine Main Toyota Part #58435-87001. Driver's seat engine cover gasket. This is the big rubber gasket that keeps the hot engine air out of the cabin. Used on 86 - 89 vans. I just ordered one and was told I got the very last one in the USA. It's not likely any more will be offered here in the states.

Hose, Pressure Feed Toyota Part #44411-28051. This is the high pressure power steering hose that goes from the pump to the rack. This is for 89 vans......not sure what other years might use this. Note: your local hydraulic shop should be able to remove and replace the damaged flexible parts of your original line.

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

Oxygen sensor, Toyota P/N 89465-29326. This is listed for my '88 2WD 5spd. Verified NLA by Aaron at Lithia Toyota of Springfield.
    EDIT> Curiously enough, the sensor for my '86 2WD 5spd, Toyota P/N 89465-19265, is still available.
    Last edited by Flounder; 06-18-2011 at 05:47 PM. Reason: New info

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Use Denso #234-4055 available from wherever Denso parts are sold. This is an OEM identical part and will cost you less than purchasing from Toyota. A good on-line place to purchase is www.sparkplugs.com. Tim

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

An important one that's NLA...Switch assy., clutch start; Toyota P/N 84520-28010. Common part for all three of my vans. Time to start scavenging them from the junkyards. It's a safety-related part, dammit! It should NOT be NLA!

EDIT: Toyota P/N 84520-35010, the clutch start switch for several Toy trucks, is functionally identical. It even has the right plug. I just put this part in my '86 van and tested it; works just fine.

@DJ Shimon: thanks for the info, I prefer to use OEM parts when available but have in the past bought stuff from 1sttoyotaparts.com and rockauto.com. Also, I would not ever bypass a safety switch such as that except in an emergency. The more I dig into my '86 cargo, the more I find that some dumb@ss who owned it before me made some really stupid modifications to the van's electrical system. I'm slowly but surely making everything right.
    Last edited by Flounder; 07-14-2011 at 03:18 PM. Reason: New information

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Hey Flounder, did you try 1sttoyotaparts or toyotaoemparts? -they show to have them, but maybe they don't.
    Is that just the safety clutch switch so you don't start in gear and have the van lurch forward? I'd just bypass it if it is.
    Last edited by djshimon; 06-30-2011 at 01:24 AM. Reason: i had to add an "it"

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1995 Previa Le S/C All-trac Turquoise Frost Metallic

is this listing still true 1sttoyotaparts lists all of these with parts,i'm looking at getting a van and it seems around here rear heater cables freezing is the norm?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 cargo tv

what to pull from salvage yard van?

I found an 85 tv an a salvage yard near where I've got a good friend whose willing to go get a little dirty for me. among lens covers, and a sliding door handle what else would be a good idea to pull for my 87. He most likely won't want to spend more than an hour or two there. I'm curious what would be on the list if i was there and had all the time in the world also.
    Thanks, Niko.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

Re: what to pull from salvage yard van?

There are a few things that are TV specific, like the strap that hangs your seat when accessing the engine bay, the plastic "housing" around the shifter, if it's a 4wd -- the radiator, wheels. I'm from "rust" area, so the spare tire rack is something that I grabbed, as mine was toast. The side and rear door handles are both worth grabbing, if they're good. Air intake plenum, if it's good. Wiper arms are another thing that get bound up for me, so I've grabbed them, too.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 cargo tv

Re: what to pull from salvage yard van?

i have a chance to spend a day going over a 87 2wd van and taking whatever i want before it gets scrapped. Its part of a trip i'm planning down south in a month and found one thats been sitting for a while. I was hoping to get some more suggestions of things to grab that I may be wanting around in the coming years of inevitable van repairs and maintenance. I have a list accumulating in my head but thought i'd ask again just to make sure i prioritize the right stuff. Thanks. Niko.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE auto 300k, 1988 5spd 4wd 140k.

Mandatory pulling parts-

Can you direct me to the thread of mandatory hard to get van parts that are a must have at a you pull it? Fusable links etc.?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Re: Mandatory pulling parts-

Quote Originally Posted by austinfromflorida View Post
    Can you direct me to the thread of mandatory hard to get van parts that are a must have at a you pull it? Fusable links etc.?
    get a parts van......haha.........for the84-8 vans something called a center arm assembly is hard to find . And I bet it has been the death knell for a few fine vans. Every other part seems to be listed ie idler arm/ball joint etc.....all the little stuff is good to grab I guess it depends on whether you have a field or a filing cabinet for storage ..........always grab the air intake duct............fuse block........spare tire holder....back licence plate light fixtures

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

Headed to a pick-n-pull whats. Whats compatible?

Hey All,

There is a fresh van on the chopping blocks and I would like to pull some parts off it.

My van is an 1988 4x4 LE

Donor Van is a 1985 (not sure what trim).

The parts I would like to pull if they are good:

Sliding door rollers and brackets
    Wind Shield molding and possibly the windshield
    Rear door latch/handle.

Anything else I should pull while I am there?

Thank you for looking

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Re: Headed to a pick-n-pull whats. Whats compatible?

Ian, there are a few guys on here looking for a center link steering arm [myself included]....it is a very distinctive "L" shape part of the steering linkage on the drivers side......tis important to check it for slop before taking it off ....one of the knuckles in this linkage is apart of that part and they are dying and getting hard to find in good shape......NIk..... it is about 9 inches long on each "leg" of the "L"

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual DX

87 2wd parts van questions...

I've pulled what I needed and then some. I'm a newbie and not very savy yet around the engine. Any recommended parts I should pull before she goes to the crusher? I'm going to pull the brake lines for sure, windows are gone, doors are gone, all interior and exterior is gone. Just the engine, tranny and whatnot remain. I'll pull the OEM driveshaft too which is still in one piece and looking good. I pulled the Alternator and had it tested, it's still good. I don't have the facility to pull the motor, but do want to pull any NLA engine parts, just not sure which. I apologize if there is already a thread addressing this, I've looked but can 't locate anything specific and in one place. I'll look into pulling the AC parts, the previous owner swore it worked 12 years ago when the rig was last started, but I need to figure out how to do that without any crazy freon spraying in my face! I already sent rufus the AC interior face plate and spider and the cables are already promised to another member. Thanks for any help anyone might provide. It's hard to find so many of these silly little vans parts I figured it was worth asking. -Harv

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4x4 5-Speed

Re: 87 2wd parts van questions...

Good to hear you have a van carcass to pick at. Here in Vermont, they are very hard to come by.

If the gas tank is still intact, you might consider grabbing the fuel sender. They are NLA from Toyota and there aren't any great options for aftermarket. Maybe the front blower motor but that's a bit of pain to get to. Good luck!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Get the igniter, distributor, cylinder head for sure. Tail lights...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 manual DX

Just pulled the igniter last night before dark, Didn't think the distributor was NLA, and never even considered the head! Thanks, I'm gonna need another shelf in the storage shed LOL

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I'd pull the ECU too just to keep it from the evil clutches of, The Crusher!