Thread: Slipping automatic transmission, '84 LE

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    84 Automatic LE Spaceship

Slipping automatic transmission, '84 LE

Hello new to the site and registered after reading all the helpful advice you have given. I have 84 LE van and have owned it for about a year keeping up on all basic maintenance. I think my tranny is slipping rpms go up but mph goes down or nowhere. literally came up out of the blue IO do not use my e brake often and live on busy street could getting nudged while in park effect transmission? Also what would you suggest on diagnosing and solving this problem? Thanks

My Van(s):
    1987 2WD

Re: Slipping automatic transmission, '84 LE

When was the last time the fluid & filter were serviced? How does the fluid look?

Is temperature a factor?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    84 Automatic LE Spaceship

Quote Originally Posted by foreverly View Post
    When was the last time the fluid & filter were serviced? How does the fluid look?

Is temperature a factor?
    Temperature is not a factor.. cool as a cucumber. I have not changed either since owning the vehicle. I have not changed fluid or filter since owning it however I have checked fluids and looks to be on the cleaner side of dirty and full. It really did just seem to happen out of the blue and deteriorated fast. recently my cat converter was stolen and didnt have cash to replace so i just clamped a pipe between the gap in the interim, the pipe used was a little larger than exhaust and when clamped the pipe bowed a little so not 100% seal on exhaust also I do not use my e brake and live on busy street so i get bumped alot while in park. could either of these be a factor?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Slipping is never good & when it starts things typically deteriorate fast. When the clutches slip and burn out it typically turns the fluid brown and makes it smell burnt. Hold the dipstick up to your nose and take a whiff. If it smells normal you should pull the transmission pan and have a look to see if there's any metal particles in there. Hold it up to the sun or a bright light and roll it around. If you see little sparkles (like a metallic paint job) then that's bad. Tim