Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How to replace your ball joints in about 2 hours (2wd)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: How to replace your ball joints in about 2 hours (2wd)

It's best to only remove the big nut. Leave the 4 small bolts installed (to help with stability), then use the correct size pickle fork and a BFG (Big F______ Hammer). Once the tapered shaft is broken loose, then remove the 4 smaller bolts. I have never had one that did not come off by the 3rd or 4th blow..........but you gotta hit it hard. When you use a pickle fork it will likely damage the grease boot, so if you're not planning to replace the ball joint, you might try to find a new boot ahead of time. Tim

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

If you want to save the boot,You could try one of these: https://www.amazon.com/ARES-15036-Re...2791378&sr=8-8 Make sure you soak the tapered shaft from top and bottom with PB Blaster for at least 24 hrs over and over again adding a little pressure on the tool each time. Also Drill a little dimple at the end of the shaft and grind the the threaded rod of the tool into a shallow cone. Use rubber bands or a big hose clamp to keep the tool in place. Finally I would keep the nut at the end of the ball joint shaft to contain any squashing and because when that thing let go it could be violent. Hope that help.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 MasterAce Surf Grand Saloon 2CT Auto 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    It's best to only remove the big nut. Leave the 4 small bolts installed (to help with stability), then use the correct size pickle fork and a BFG (Big F______ Hammer). Once the tapered shaft is broken loose, then remove the 4 smaller bolts. I have never had one that did not come off by the 3rd or 4th blow..........but you gotta hit it hard. When you use a pickle fork it will likely damage the grease boot, so if you're not planning to replace the ball joint, you might try to find a new boot ahead of time. Tim
    Thanks Tim! Turns out I just needed a bigger f______ hammer. I put the four bolts back in and the ball joint separated after about 15 hits. NOW to separate the ball joint from the steering knuckle!

Carbon, I'm definitely replacing the ball joints. I think they're 1989 originals.

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

BFH always wins. I saved and rebuilt my 89's they where in an amazingly good shape. I always try not to go Neanderthal, if I can help it, but sometime you've got to do what you've got to do.. I have pictures of my rebuilt ones before and after somewhere in here.
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, next time I'm sure you'll start out with the bigger BFG (reference the 6th pic in the 1st post of this thread). It's hard to hit it straight on and hard, but once you get the hang of it they come off pretty quick. BTW, the 1st one or 2 hits are moderate (just to get the pickle fork set/jammed into place), then I stand back, both hands on the hammer and go for the grand slam . Tim