Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to replace your ball joints in about 2 hours (2wd)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: How to replace your ball joints in about 2 hours (2wd)

I wouldn't expect there to be any noticeable difference in steering wheel resistance. Be sure to recheck everything to make sure its all correct. Don't take any chances here. If it doesn't seem right have it checked out by a professional before driving. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE RWD

Thanks Tim.

+1 on checking everything.

I have another question. When the wheel turn does the shaft of the ball joint rotate with the steering knuckle or does the steering knuckle spin independently of the ball joint shaft? I'm thinking that if the shaft does rotate with the steering knuckle it would make sense that there would be greater resistance.

Kenny.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, the shaft of the ball joint rotates with the steering knuckle. And yes, new ball joints would have more resistance than worn ones. But, considering the mechanical advantage you get with the steering wheel, I would think this increased resistance would be hard to identify. Just how much more resistance is there? Is there any noise associated with turning the wheel?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE RWD

There is huge difference in resistance compared to the old ball joints and there is no noise at all.

I decided to finish it and button up everything. I drove it around my neighborhood and everything seems fine. Under power steering the wheel turned just like it did before.

One thing still bother me is the quality of the ball joints I got off eBay. I purchased the ball joints from WorldSuspension on eBay and they sent me some Chinese made parts manufactured by DLZ. I did some goggling and found out that WorldSuspension is basically a junk supplier. Anyone here have experience with their product? I should have other from Rock Auto.

Hey Tim, What would happen if I didn't get an alignment done? The worst I can think off is premature tire wear and poor handling.

Thanks.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by KenVan View Post
    Hey Tim, What would happen if I didn't get an alignment done? The worst I can think off is premature tire wear and poor handling.

Thanks.
    That's true.........but then why bother replacing worn ball joints? The up side to having the front aligned is having the alignment tech checking things out for you. Just tell him you replaced the ball joints and ask that he inspect your work as he's aligning. I'm not sure about your area, but here an alignment at Les Schwab costs $50 and if no adjustments are required it's free. It never hurts to have an extra set of eyes check things out.......especially an experienced set. I would highly recommend you get an alignment. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Townace (Japanese import to UK), 2WD, diesel auto, A Team colours, 110,000mls

Hi Tim

New guy here, from London, UK.
    I have a 1993 Toyota Townace, 2WD, auto diesel, with power steering and no ABS, right-hand-drive, imported from Japan in 2003. I need to change all my upper control arm bushings - they are down to the metal and clonking on the left side and they failed the inspection here (the MOT we call it - Ministry of Transport test). I have searched the world by Internet - hours and hours - trying to find the bushes cheaper than the Toyota price - the set here in UK are £170 approx! I have tracked down poly bush replacements in Australia but they are about the same price when you put shipping in.
    I found the smaller front bushes at www.carpartsdiscount.com for $6.85 plus tax and shipping - a lot cheaper than the $30 each UK price - I have these as part number 48632 28030.
    I have the rear (bigger) ones as part number 48635-28040 and the nearest I can find on this site, is for the Toyota Van, 1985. www.carpartsdiscount.com have them as 48635 28010 - do you think, or could you kindly check for me, that they are the same?
    The carpartsdiscount numbers are: front: 84726 (with 48632 28030 alongside in the listing), and for the rear: 84732 (with 48635 28010 alongside).
    I have made a detailed tech drawing of the parts with all the measurements and could email that to you if you might be able to check them against some old/new ones that you might have. As an mechanic/engineer, I was always taught that if it is a different number, it will not fit but I know that OEMs change part numbers over the years...
    I would really appreciate your help!
    Thanks, Simon

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Hi and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the UK market so I really don't know what's interchangeable. Here in the states we got the Vanwagons from 84-89. Then from 91-97 we got the Previas (which are a completely different body animal). I believe that in 93 the UK Townace is very similar to our earlier Vanwagons, but I couldn't tell you what parts may or may not interchange. Sorry . Tim

PS: Perhaps another member from the UK will chime in to help out.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Townace (Japanese import to UK), 2WD, diesel auto, A Team colours, 110,000mls

Thanks for the reply Tim.
    We don't have actual UK Townaces, they are all 'grey' imports - brought in (from Japan mainly) by dealers/privateers/imdependent importers.
    I have found some very cheap places in the US for these bushes, Car Discount Parts and now: http://www.all-toyotaparts.com/ShopB...ushing&mode=PD

When I order and get the parts, I will try and do a photo write up of the job of replacing upper inner control arm bushes if you like?
    Slim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by joshuafields View Post
    Thanks so much for the thorough response, Tim! That's a lot of good information to consider. I'm wondering about the shocks I was going to get; maybe I should upgrade. I'm on a very tight budget (hence why I'm attempting all this myself instead of paying the mechanic $1500). I'm ordering most parts through RockAuto. I was going to get the cheapest front shocks they have, the Monro-Matic Plus for $16 each. Being that my budget is so tight, how strongly would you recommend the KYB Gas-A-Just at $40 each? That's about a $50 difference for the pair.

Also, regarding the link to the PartsGeek bushings -- two of the bushings on that page are listed as 4wd, two as 2wd. So for my 2wd, they only have two options - one front upper and one front lower. It seems like the two front upper bushings are different sizes, which makes me think I can't just order two of their front upper bushings (part W0133-1753595) for each upper control arm. Do you concur?
    I emailed the PartsGeek customer service also, so we'll see if they get back to me with some useful info.
    Hi Joshua

I saw your post on the forum abut how you bought these bushings from PartsGeek, by the numbers I am pretty sure they are MTC brand bushes. I am just about to replace my bushings and wanted to ask you how good are the MTC ones please? Were they a good fit (nice and tight when you pressed them in) and how have they held up? It is a nasty job to replace these so I don't wan to do it twice! If they are inferior, maybe Chinese-made, bushes, I would rather save up and buy the Toyota ones (around $260 here in the UK for the set of upper front and rear). Did they have 'Made in Japan' molded into the rubber etc?

I appreciate this was all a while ago but if you can help, I would appreciate it.
    Thanks, Simon

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

apparently lowers have grease fittings now

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Depends on the brand I guess. Which brand did you install?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Depends on the brand I guess. Which brand did you install?
    Mevotech :/ waiting at advance auto parts to borrow a pickle fork :/ tie rod end is stressing me out because I can't get it off with a torch and vice grips (probably inexperience) (tie rod design sucks)

ill most likely go toyota oems when money frees up 8 months down the road

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 2wd Toyota van 5sd manual

Hi everyone, we are currently undertaking this mission and have encountered a roadblock. It seems that the top of the steering knuckle has fused to the bolt at the bottom of the upper ball joint. It was giving us issues (before we saw that it looks fused) so we cut the bolt to get the steering knuckle off the ball joint, it worked but now we have a piece of bolt stuck in the steering knuckle (a little bit coming out the top and about an inch inch and a half out the bottom). We tried heating the area and hammering it out but has not been successful yet. Any ideas? Thank a bunch!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Now that it's cut and stuck in there, about the only thing left to do is completely remove the steering knuckle and press it out with a hydraulic press. If you don't have access to one, take it to a shop that does (most machine shops and some automotive shops have these). They will likely charge you a little, but probably not much (guessing under $50). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thanks for the reply. Luckily, we did not have to resort to that. We drilled a hole through the bolt, then heated it with a torch and eventually whacked it out with a hammer. Now, how do you line up the upper ball joint to go the right direction for the steerong knuckle?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

You can do a lot with a jack under the lower control arm. Install the upper joint in the upper control arm 1st then jack/pry as necessary to get the joint bolt to go into the knuckle. Once you have some threads coming out the other side of the knuckle hole, use the nut to draw it on the rest of the way. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thank you for being so quick on the replies Tim! We got the upper in and attached and the bottom attached to knuckle but the bottom is a good 2-3 inches lower than the control arm so jacking the control arm doesnt seem like it would help? Or maybe im missing something?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

The back two can get about half an inch away but the front two are about 2 inches away (with it angled to try to get closer)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I don't know........It's been so long since I did this last, but don't remember it being difficult. Perhaps it would be easier to mount the lower joint on the lower arm, then jack into position? There's lots of different ways to apply force with the jack, pry bars, etc. Just be careful not to hurt yourself. I'm sure with a little thought and carefully placed leverage you'll get it done. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

As usual, you were right Tim. Thank you again for helping us much less experienced we ended up putting the jack between the two control arms and used it to lower the control arm to reach enough to put a bolt in, then the rest were pretty easy. Your two hour task took us three days to do half now to do the other side on monday, but it should be much faster and easier now.