Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Article: Cleaning the Throttle Body

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd
    Ops I'm sorry about that .. I published it now.

My other question is,
    I removed the feeler gauge and open and close the TB, do I need to have continuity all the time?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Article: Cleaning the Throttle Body

With the throttle against the stop you should have continuity through terminals IDL and E1. As you open the throttle you should lose continuity around .028 of travel. I watched your video and you did it right. Good job! Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd
    Nice, Thank you very much Tim!!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota commuter 2RZ-E

Hi. All.
    I have a 1998 commuter van with a 2.4L 2RZ-E motor.
    The throttle body has Toyota 75 161 8J23 stamped on it .
    It appears that it has a cold start system that must use water temperature to allow a lean mixture to idle up when cold.
    Other throttle bodies I have seen use an electrical device to idle up when cold?
    I am having trouble with getting stable idle.
    I am wondering if there is some sort of thermostat in the throttle body that may stick occasionally?
    I have checked the TPS and MAP sensor (testok) removed and cleaned throttle body but did not disassemble the device where the two water pipes attach (water flowed thru these pipes unrestricted when tested). Mike

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota 2wd Van

Question Setting Throttle Position Sensor TPS

Hi all,
    New to the forum, new to Toyota vans.
    Recently bought a 1989 2wd A/T van to fix up into a camping/road trip vehicle. Had no issues driving it home after buying.
    So, drove about 2 hrs somewhere, no issues. Driving home I stopped for gas, filled er up and just cranking and cranking...no start. Luckily I had a hammer on me and gave the starter a whack and started right up. So I assumed it was the starter, right? Bought and installed a new starter, same issue. So I went down the rabbit hole of replacing parts. Not much new on the van when I bought it, so it was probably time for most of the parts to be replaced anyway.

Coil, cap, rotor, plugs and wires, fuel filter. Didn't fix the issue. So I decided to check for codes. Threw a 5-1. So I now assume it's the TPS. Got a new one and ready to install but after lurking through the forums here I realize it needs to be calibrated. Noticed a member posted a video on just that procedure but it looks as though the link is broken. So...

Can anyone help me with the procedure for calibrating the TPS?

Also, open to suggestions as to what the issue maybe. Searching the forums and finding a few people with similar issues...crank but no start. It was really hot that day...heard about the hot soak issues. It's weird to me that knocking the starter worked that first time. I did push it away from the pump, so maybe that did something?

Thanks for any and all help!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Setting Throttle Position Sensor TPS

What your looking for is located in "articles"

Cleaning the Throttle Body

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota 2wd Van

Re: Setting Throttle Position Sensor TPS

Yes, I read that article and cleaned the throttle body. Unfortunately the link to the video says it's not available in my country (U.S.) due to copyright laws and there's no explanation on resetting TPS in article.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Hi Jessey, I merged your new thread with an existing one of same subject matter. Please go to post #1 and watch the video at the end of it. When I updated this thread with a different video I had neglected to update the one in the article section. I'll go change that now. FYI, when making posts, please search and find a thread of similar subject matter and post in that. It helps keep the forum clean and helps the search feature to work better. Thank you and welcome to TVT ! Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota 2wd Van

Thanks! Ended up finding video on YouTube from post #138. I'll give it a shot.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Toyota van 89 2w

Hello, my name is Isaac, I am from Mexico, I have an automatic toyota van 89 2wd, I had not encouraged myself to ask for help since I tried to solve it with what I found in the forum, my van has the problem of loss of power , unstable idle in drive and reverse, speeds do not enter on time, when I jump the check engine connector, it flashes repeatedly and if I activate the accelerator it gives me code 51, I already checked the tps sensor and if it was out of calibration since it stopped check continuity up to 0.038 and calibrate it to 0.028 thanks to topics on this forum, but there is no difference in the operation of the van, I checked my tps sensor with the parameters of the 87 service manual and everything matches, so how can I check the signals from the ecu to the sensor? Or do I have to change my sensor even if it complies with the values ​​in the service manual?

I use the translator but I hope I make myself understood, thank you very much 🙏

updating check voltage at terminals E1 - IDL and PSW-E1 on the ecu, everything is correct, to exist continuity from the ecu to the tps harness terminals.

output voltages at harness terminals:

PSW: 11.50
    E1: 0.04
    LDI: 11.15

Are those voltages correct?
    Last edited by snakeqq; 02-05-2023 at 01:26 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    "Hansel" The 1988 5 speed 4x4

I set the TPS in the van this weekend, and it cleared the 5-1 code that had been having.