Thread: Replacing 1986 2wd Auto rear axle

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Tarago

Replacing 1986 2wd Auto rear axle

Can I use a rear axle from any 82 - 89 Van as long as it is 2WD Auto?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Replacing 1986 2wd Auto rear axle

The most common rear suspension on the US vans is the coil spring type. There were however models with leaf springs too. As long as you take the rear end from a van with the same type of springs it should physically interchange. As for gear ratio you should check the data plate under the carpet below the front of the seat. Since you're in Australia I don't know if that would be passenger side or driver's side . The code for the gear ratio is here. Just make sure the donor van has a matching code & you're good to go. Here's another thread that offers a bit more info: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...tial-questions. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Tarago

OK, So I have an E252 diff.
    Can I go to the yard pull an F series housing/axle and replace mine with it?
    Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

E is a 7.1" diameter ring gear & F is a 7.5" ring gear. If you grab the entire axle the diameter of the ring gear shouldn't matter as long as the mounting and the gear ratios are the same. Take some measurements of your mounting areas & take your notes to the salvage yard. I'm not sure if any other vehicles used the same axles as the vans, but if I was in need I'd check everything in the yard that looked similar. If you have fabrication skills and the right equipment you can fabricate & or alter mounts. I've fabricated and welded shock mounts & spring perches to axles before. As long as everything else fits then doing something like this can be worth while. FWIW, 7.5" is more common & slightly stronger than the 7.1". Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Tarago

Thanks.

Yes, I know the E and F ones are a different diameter but they appear to use the same housing/axle.

If they use the same housing/axle it should be a straight swap yes?
    Last edited by unregisturd; 04-14-2013 at 08:14 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've never done it but I'd suspect yes. Measure while you're at the yard.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Tarago

Will do, thanks.

Otherwise, if I don't/can't do an entire axle swap, I need to find a E-series donor diff from a Tarago, Liteace, Corona or Cressida with a similar ratio.

If I can't find a E252 what would be some suitable candidates.

ie E312 or E282

Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, sure.............just use the chart in that other thread and do the math. I like factory gearing but depending on what you're doing you may benefit from tweaking it a little. For instance, if you run oversize or undersized tires you may want to compensate for that. Of the examples you brought up, the E312 would make it go 14.2% faster than before at the same engine RPM (about 8.5 mph @ 60 mph). The E282 would only increase the speed by 5.6% (about 3.4 mph @ 60 mph). Of course this would come at the expense of your low range & it would throw off your speedometer by the amounts specified above. Tim