Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Click-No-Start (Starter, Ignition Switch and other Culprits)

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Starter motor and replacing contacts

Looked for this in DIY and in this section but didn't find a mention which likely means my ability to use the 'search' function is pretty bad. My starter now has to be tapped on with a screw driver to bring it back to life. Wondering if anyone has a source for starter contacts or has done this to cure the problem I am having.

Prior to this, it took numerous tries to get my van started (after sitting for a day or two) which I assumed was due to not getting fuel or drain back (or both). Now that my starter isn't working when I turn the key I hear the fuel pump priming, which lets me get gas up to engine, then go tap on the starter and thing fires up right away. So in addition to my starter motor sounds like I have a fueling issue, though the only item I have read about is a possible faulty cold start injector.

Thanks for reading, any advice appreciated. -Josh
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Re: Starter motor and replacing contacts

BJ,

It is filed under articles -> Tim's Tech Tips -> Starter Clicks but won't crank. I referred to this article before.

Tim is so good with the details.

Cheers, SoORYotas

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Josh,

I'm hoping to tackle this job once I get my van back on all 4 wheels after I finish my bearing press job from hell finished. I bought this kit from Amazon, the job looks easy enough, if Tim's article and the rebuild videos on YouTube are any indication. If you go this route, would you mind posting back here with details on the job? If I get it done before you I'll come back and do the same.

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Ok this job was crazy simple, if you are mechanically savvy enough to remove and replace a starter you are more than capable of replacing the contacts. I'll share a couple of pointers from when I did this job but it's real straight forward and Tim's article hits all the high notes.

First, that starter rebuild kit I bought was basically worthless. The plunger was too long and one of the replacement contacts had a weird crescent moon shape to it. I imagine this contact would have been fine on either side but it didn't seem to fit well and since only one of my contacts was worn I cleaned up the other one, hit the old plunger with a little bit of sandpaper and electronic cleaner to get the shine back and used that. If I were to do it again, I would just buy this bag of contacts and call it a day.

There is a thin wire on one side of the contacts, be real careful not to hit or sever this wire. It's attached to a little plate that goes between the contact and the back of the bolt. This little plate was stuck to the bolt pretty good, I used a small tip screw driver in there and gently pried it apart. After that its remove, clean, and replace, being mindful of the order everything goes back together.

The whole job, including pulling the starter and putting it back in, took a little over an hour, but I took pictures and got a little OCD about cleaning the starter while I had it out. I took it to OReilly's and they must have tested it about 5 times and said it passed every time. I threw it back in my van and she started right up and my code 12 is now gone so totally worth it in my book.

My Van(s):

Thanks, for the update. Just put my van on the lift over the weekend while trying to finish work on Montero for a trip in 9 days. Bout of stomach flu stopped progress on both vehicles. Hopefully finishing the Montero over the next two days after work and will then pull the starter motor on the van.
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by AD2101 View Post
    Ok this job was crazy simple, if you are mechanically savvy enough to remove and replace a starter you are more than capable of replacing the contacts. I'll share a couple of pointers from when I did this job but it's real straight forward and Tim's article hits all the high notes.

First, that starter rebuild kit I bought was basically worthless. The plunger was too long and one of the replacement contacts had a weird crescent moon shape to it. I imagine this contact would have been fine on either side but it didn't seem to fit well and since only one of my contacts was worn I cleaned up the other one, hit the old plunger with a little bit of sandpaper and electronic cleaner to get the shine back and used that. If I were to do it again, I would just buy this bag of contacts and call it a day.

There is a thin wire on one side of the contacts, be real careful not to hit or sever this wire. It's attached to a little plate that goes between the contact and the back of the bolt. This little plate was stuck to the bolt pretty good, I used a small tip screw driver in there and gently pried it apart. After that its remove, clean, and replace, being mindful of the order everything goes back together.

The whole job, including pulling the starter and putting it back in, took a little over an hour, but I took pictures and got a little OCD about cleaning the starter while I had it out. I took it to OReilly's and they must have tested it about 5 times and said it passed every time. I threw it back in my van and she started right up and my code 12 is now gone so totally worth it in my book.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota LiteAce Rwd CURRENT 1998 Pontiac Transport (gone) 1989 Dodge Caravan (gone) GREAT VAN 1972 VW Bus (Classic, but way under powered)

I made this repair as well, hardest part was starter removal and reinstall (very greasy)--the starter disassembly and replace was a breeze. The copper "L" shaped connector on the "hot-side"--powered side was worn almost paper thin from use/arching. Cleaned everything, sanded magnets/armature, replaced those copper parts---no more hammer/pray to start. Cranks 1st time/every-time----cranks way faster too.

My Van(s):

Re: Click-No-Start (Starter, Ignition Switch and other Culprits)

Ok, so add me to the list. Have the click, when turning the key. Checked the battery, yep 12.5vlts on the multi meter. Assume I need new starter contacts, order the kit (came w/a plunger as well, so replaced that to). Felt pretty good patting self on back yesterday afternoon. Go to start it today same click. After a string of expletives, I checked the battery, no it’s fine; crawl under the van and tap the starter with the handle of a screw driver. Turn the key and starter motor fires. More expletives, shaking fist toward the heavens, etc. Before we talk about power supply or grounding connections, let me preface this with the idea that I have already replaced ground cables with custom 2.0g wires, run tandem 2.0g wires w/copper terminals to both starter and alternator. Any idea what I have failed to do? thanks for listening

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

BJ - Have you done anything to the trigger wire circuit?

Sounds like you've eliminated all the other possible causes.
    Start with checking trigger voltage when the starter won't turn

I'd be tempted to run a separate wire for the ign switch to the solenoid and try that out for a couple of weeks, if no further troubles present,
    make that wire permanent.

Before doing that you may want to inspect the ign switch itself and make sure the contact for the "start position" isn't burned/corroded.
    Perhaps even just taking voltage readings from the back side might shed some light

My Van(s):

Seems reasonable enough, but I would have thought it is something with the starter given that I can get it to start by tapping on it w/a hammer?
    Is there a tutorial on removing the ignition lock? Looked at it briefly when I was looking for the trigger wire at ignition switch. I could only find two green wires coming from back of ignition lock. Not sure where to find it.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    BJ - Have you done anything to the trigger wire circuit?

Sounds like you've eliminated all the other possible causes.
    Start with checking trigger voltage when the starter won't turn

I'd be tempted to run a separate wire for the ign switch to the solenoid and try that out for a couple of weeks, if no further troubles present,
    make that wire permanent.

Before doing that you may want to inspect the ign switch itself and make sure the contact for the "start position" isn't burned/corroded.
    Perhaps even just taking voltage readings from the back side might shed some light

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

BJ - you don't need to pull the lock cylinder, the electrical portion mounts onto the end of the lock body.

From post #17 of this thread Ignition switch question.

"To rule this out, make sure your battery is good and fully charged, then rig up a voltmeter to your small solenoid wire (at the starter) and have somebody try to crank. If you see above 10.5 volts and it's not cranking, then the problem is in your starter. If the voltage is below that, then the problem is somewhere in the starter circuit. If the problem is in your starter, pop the solenoid cover off and inspect the contacts before condemning the entire starter. Tim"

That is where I would want to start the investigation, having that answer (trigger wire voltage) will direct where to go next.

If the problem is in the starter, worn brushes or worn bearings are repairable but if the commutator is damaged its time for new.
    The manual dedicates 12 pages to the starter and they quote specs for just about every imaginable thing you could want to inspect.

Not that it applies, but when I went down this road I hadn't yet found Tim's plunger contact repair and went with an OEM factory rebuild.
    IIRC, I got a full 2 weeks before the click came back.
    -only to say that my issue probably had nothing to do with the starter, as every time I thought I had it repaired, it would only be good for a few weeks at best.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

I'd also try to rule out bad starter unit (while it's still connected to the van) v bad wiring by sending POS voltage directly to the starter.

If it doesn't turn this way, I'd suspect something with the starter unit is no good.

I've done this with jumper cables running from the battery, under the van, and to the contact on the starter.

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

I copy/pasted this (my experience/post) from an older thread:

I had the same problem back in 2008 when I bought my van. After replacing the ignition, neutral start safety switch, rebuilt starter, and going thru the whole system with a fine toothed comb, my mechanic concluded that there was a small voltage drop somewhere, so he installed a starter bypass switch.

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...starter+bypass

"You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My Van(s):

As an update re-hecked the trigger wire from ignition switch and have a 2g wire going directly to the starter from the batt.

I find that if I put it in gear and let off the ebrake so it moves slightly against the gears it will fire up.
    I think at this point I just need to get a reman denso at this point.
    thanks

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

BJ - getting the starter to hook-up by loading up the drivetrain makes very little sense, unless it is actually helping to complete the ground circuit
    Given that you've replaced everything on the positive side, any chance something has been overlooked on the negative side

Way way back, V12 Jag sedans could develop a stiff accelerator pedal, replacing cables was only a temporary solution.
    Turned out the accelerator cables were completing the ground circuit, heating up in the process and partially melting the sheathing and causing the cable to bind.
    Beefing up all the engine to chassis straps ended up being the final solution.

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    BJ - getting the starter to hook-up by loading up the drivetrain makes very little sense, unless it is actually helping to complete the ground circuit
    Given that you've replaced everything on the positive side, any chance something has been overlooked on the negative side

Way way back, V12 Jag sedans could develop a stiff accelerator pedal, replacing cables was only a temporary solution.
    Turned out the accelerator cables were completing the ground circuit, heating up in the process and partially melting the sheathing and causing the cable to bind.
    Beefing up all the engine to chassis straps ended up being the final solution.
    So when I ran the 2 gauge wire to the starter and to alternator, I also replaced all the ground wires at the same time with 2 gauge. At a loss?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

so I've ready thru this entire post and everyone says the symptoms are a click and no spin - mine is different.

I get a nice click/spin every time I turn the key - but the first 2-3 times it just makes a whirring noise but never seems to engage anything. After the 2-3rd time, it engages and starts right up like normal.

Any ideas what would cause that?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD CRG : 170K

Have you checked the starter and flexplate / flywheel for broken teeth?

Maybe it's just not hooking up?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgrips236 View Post
    Have you checked the starter and flexplate / flywheel for broken teeth?

Maybe it's just not hooking up?
    I agree. The ring gears are pretty tough on our vans, but it's conceivable one or more teeth could be damaged/broken. It's much more likely a starter issue (specifically the solenoid not kicking the "starter drive" out all the way or the starter drive itself could be messed up). You will need to pull the starter, then inspect the teeth on the ring gear and the drive gear. Once the starter is off, look up in the hole where it mounts and check the teeth on the ring gear. Use a socket/ratchet to slowly rotate the crank shaft 360° while checking for damage. If that's fine, then either repair or replace the entire starter. If the ring gear is damaged, well, lets just hope it's not (that's a much bigger job). Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

ok, great. Will start there.

I had somehow imagined that it might be an electrical thing since the manual says if the car is in gear there is a "safety" switch which will prevent it from engaging (?).

As soon as it spins around a few times it finally catches - which aligns with what you guys are suggesting.

Thanks!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The safety switch (if it were bad) would not allow anything to happen. Since the starter is spinning, we know power is making it through the safety switch. Your problem has to do with engaging/meshing of the gears. IMO the most likely cause is a failing starter drive. If you check the pics in that listing you will see the smaller gear on one end. That gear can break teeth and/or the ratchet mechanism inside can get gummed up & cause grinding and/or slippage.

Due to our disposable society most people just replace entire starters. This makes individual parts more expensive, therefore further encouraging replacement of complete assemblies (in this case the entire starter). Tim