Thread: Reattaching hand brake boot?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Reattaching hand brake boot?

The boot that goes over my emergency brake handle, like on every other TV I've seen, is completely detached. It looks like there were originally little plastic pins with a nib on the end that were stuck through it, but those have all long since broken off. The boot itself is in great shape, it's just flopping around.

I tried a couple of types of glue but none held on for very long. Has anyone had luck getting theirs to stay in place?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Reattaching hand brake boot?

Ah yes, the fabled PB boot.
    I too tried many, many different types of adhesive including the dreaded silicone.
    Mostly just spent hours cleaning goop of the cover and cursing myself.

However, last time I appear to have been successful, we are now 2 months into the repair and it is still holding fast.
    The secret -

Hot Glue.

Difficult to work with as it hardens faster than you can install the whole boot, I attacked the hardest to reach side first (outboard side),
    Waited till that had set up well then moved around the boot, squirting and sticking as I went.
    I worked at it from the underside and made sure everything was super clean prior to starting.

Any squeeze out can be tamed with a fresh razor blade, after it has hardened.
    Don't try to deal with the squeeze out prior to hardening, it just makes a mess, btdt.

Time will tell, but so far, this has already outlasted all other attempts by 4-8 weeks.
    YMMV
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Just don't hold the glue gun against the boot for too long..............or you'll end up with a.........drum roll........."Burntboot"

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd

I have considered this very problem- hot glue sounds great and isn't something I had thought to use. I was thinking it sounded like a job for Gorilla Glue.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Tim - good one.
    While we are on the subject of precautions, I should add not to attempt this job when seriously drunk, that could have an influence on burning your boots, or so I am led to believe.

Mr Josh - I can save you the trouble, Gorilla glue was useless, until it came to trying to clean it off, that is.

You can also scratch off your list - contact cement, rubber cement,automotive Goop, RTV silicone, plastic adhesive, flexible plastic adhesive, Sikaflex 291 and about a dozen other things, all to no avail.

BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Gorilla glue is pretty amazing stuff. It does however require a constant pressure applied while drying. If you could come up with a way to clamp it during the process then I'm sure it would work. IMHO too much trouble when there's other things easier to use. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van

ah was just super gluing some cracks on this plastic console with great success but that boot rubber wouldn't hold for a second, thanks for the hot glue tip going to try that out tomorrow.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

We've had a string of hot sunny days this past week and Red spent most of the time sitting around with the windows closed.
    Noticed this morning that the PB boot is no longer one with the console.

Hot Glue now rates a FAIL.

Back to the drawing board.
    BB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd work van 87 4wd play van

"Shoe Goo" has worked for me on both vans. It's hard to do a clean job, but it does stick to the rubber and plastic.