Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coolant Reservoir Leak

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Re: Coolant Reservoir Leak

Ok. So, standing on the shoulders of those who came before me, I believe I have come up with the DEFINITIVE way to successfully tackle this job, relatively easily and for under $3.00 to boot.

I started off by buying the Dorman 42055 PCV Valve Grommet that PNW Vanwagon found. After pulling the tank, cleaning up all the busted rubber, glue, and RTV the previous owner slapped on there, it became readily apparent that this isn't going back together using shear muscles or brute force. The float is physically larger than the inside diameter of the grommet, and the float, while not fragile in and of itself, slides on a plastic shaft which is absolutely fragile. Going all Rambo on it is just going to snap the sensor and that's it.

After staring at it for a while, and pointlessly trying to force a round peg into a noticeably smaller round hole, I had an idea. The float on the end of the sensor is the same size as an 18mm socket. So, first I muscled the grommet onto a 17mm socket as it was a little more manageable and allowed the grommet to stretch a little bit. Then I slid the grommet from the 17mm to an 18mm socket as pictured.

Name:  plug1.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  29.9 KB

I then just made the socket flush with the float and slid the grommet from the socket onto the float, using dish soap to help move things along. It wasn't quite as easy as it sounds, but it all came together in under a minute when it was all said and done. In-between all the pressing, cursing, and mashing trying to get this thing on, make sure you don't put the grommet on upside down, that would be really stupid. Once you've successfully completed this step, you're left with something that should look like this.

Name:  plug2.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  29.5 KB

Please note, this will not fit into the tank either as-is, the grommet will now be too large. No biggie, just slide the grommet back up until it's on the shaft right behind the float like so.

Name:  plug3.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  69.5 KB

Then feed the parts of the sensor back into the tank, one at a time. First the float, then the grommet, and then finally slide the rest of the sensor into place. The end product should look like this.

Name:  plug5.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  59.7 KB

While I haven't field tested it yet, it's apparent that I got a good seal on it. I'm letting it sit overnight in my sink to see if there's any moisture or leaks but, barring the unforeseen, it'll go back in the van tomorrow with a clean bill of health.

Hope it helps!

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

A huge THANK YOU to all of you that have discovered various ways of fixing the leaking overflow tank as well as the extra tricks to accomplish them successfully.

I recently finished the "grommet" modification since that seemed to be the most logical and pain-free. I was finished so quickly, I was shocked!!! Nothing ever goes so smoothly on my van!!!

The 18mm socket idea is great!!! A big THANKS for this little trick!!!

I skipped the 17mm socket and simply used some Dawn dish soap to lube up the grommet and 18mm socket...the Dawn dish soap is safer for the environment than other lubes and rinses right off of everything when you are finished. The grommet slipped right onto the socket and then right over the sensor float.

Sliding the float into the hole in the bottom of the overflow, followed by inserting the grommet into the hole, and finally inserting the sensor into the grommet...definitely the way to go!!!

Now the obvious questions...
    How is the "Grommet Mod" holding up for those of you that have had it for longer than a few days?
    Is it holding up to the scorching summer heat in Arizona?
    Is it holding up to the freezing winter temps in the Northeast?
    What are the hottest/coldest temps this modification has endured so far?

My "Grommet Mod" has only experienced an outside temperature range of 40-65 degrees Fahrenheit so far. I can update this summer when it gets in the triple digits.

It would be great if this will be a long-term fix for everyone.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

I guess I will do an update of my own, regarding the "Grommet Mod".

I have been driving daily with the Grommet Mod for about 6 months.
    It is holding up fine so far...no leaks.
    It has endured some cooler outdoor temperatures in the 30's.
    It has experienced some warmer outdoor temperatures around 105 degrees.

Very pleased with such an easy and cheap fix.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

no leaking, but radiator light on dash stays on all the time.

per this thread I believe the electrical is just a closed circuit loop (?) - so is it safe to just jumper-wire the connector and if the radiator light on dash goes out, then assume it is a bad sensor?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

I think you can just unplug it and, if the radiator light goes off, 99% you found the problem. In my experience, it's not so much the sensor in the bottle that goes bad as much as it's typically that the float stops floating, and is always sending a signal that the tank is low/empty. I've been able to visually inspect the float in the tank and verify the problem that way as well.

EDIT: I'll throw in my own "21 month" update as well. The grommet is still working perfectly and there are no leaks from my coolant tank. IMO this is a cheap and easy enough mod that it should basically become preventative maintenance when getting a new to you van if the seal looks at all worn or you don't know history of the van.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Desperate times:

I lost my reservoir tank!

Yep, I took it to our shop for cleaning, and when I cam back it was gone.

Why anyone would take this is beyond me.

Does anyone know where I can get one? I contacted all the main bone yards but nothing.

Any help would be appreciated

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Search Ebay. maybe this could fit even though its for another Toyota might work

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Ov...kAAOSwDP1b6yzE

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thanks JPERL:

I will have to snap some dims to see if it can fit in there. It is tight. But thanks for the help. My original was perfect when I was done with it. The killer is that it left it there on one of the benches and when I went back to get it it was gone. Nobody knew anything about it. We turned the place upside down and could not recover it.

It just killed me.

Thanks again

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Does anyone know about what our van coolant reservoir capacity is? I am trying to find something that will fit and match.

Thanks

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

MyToy : i pm'd you

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Cargo Van (Window/2WD)

The Dorman PCV Valve grommet is genius!!! Just used this on my expansion tank and it is a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW vanwagon View Post
    ^ replacement part from page 1 of this thread: Toyota 85335-73010

btw: i found another grommet that works well with NO modification. fits the sensor and the
    reservoir tank nice and tight:
    Dorman 42055 PCV Valve Grommet

been in there 3 months no leaks or problems.

be xtra careful inserting sensor into the grommet and then into the reservoir tank (maybe use a little grease or silicone spray) those yellow wires can snap off very easy (ask me how i know) and you'll need to re-solder back together.

Name:  pcv_grommet_42055.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  61.1 KB