Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement speedometer cable?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    86 base

Replacement speedometer cable?

So I got a van with a broken speedometer cable. It snapped where it goes into the transmission where the solid part attaches to the actual cable. Since there isn't a way to fix this, I do need a replacement. Found one from an oem parts dealer online for about 140 shipped, but not sure if there is anything else I can do here. Honestly will pay the 140 for a brand new oem to have it be done but who knows and I have a few days since they won't get the order till monday anyways if I did it today. That and I will be calling the local dealer to see what they can do. Didn't see anything like another toyota that had the same cable or something like that which was what I was hoping for. Surprised there aren't more threads about this. On the plus side the van drives again after I finished doing a headgasket I just need to know how fast I'm going now lol.
    Also I'm looking at two different stock codes, 8371095D06 or 8371028040 ; 8371028041. Pretty sure I need the second one. My van is an 86 2wd automatic non-le. Also, I should mention that it doesn't have the adapter like some (4wd?) models come with.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

Re: Replacement speedometer cable?

I had the same problem. Got one from a junkyard van for a couple dollars. Pretty sure an auto or manual cable will do but I can't remember exactly. Also you don't need the outside of the cable(the sheath) but the inside cable. Just thread it through the cable from the tranny side up through to the speedometer-I think.
    hope that helps, aaron.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The original part number was 83710-28040 but that has since been superseded by 83710-28041. DJ is right, you don't need the entire cable. You can just replace the inner part (this is a lot easier than trying to replace the entire thing). I would do what DJ did and look for one in a junk yard. These don't break very often, so it's likely a junk yard one will last a very long time. Tim

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Alright I'm genuinely stumped on this one. On my 86 van, the speedometer intermittently worked (maybe like, 5% of the time) when I initially got it running. I recently disconnected the speedo cable from the transmission end and removed it, expecting to see some kind of damage, and there was none. I made sure the cable was clean and free of debris and reinstalled it. No change. I then cleaned up both the gauge end of the cable/cable housing as well as the gauge itself, no change. I then swapped in another gauge cluster I snagged from a yard last month, no change. I had previously bench tested my original gauge following the instructions in the FSM and it checked out fine, so I don't think it's my gauge and, if it was, the other one surely could not have also been bad.

Just for giggles I even started the van up without the gauge cluster installed and drove around the block a few times, and was able to verify that the cable spins. After all that, I put it all back together and now the speedometer is completely dead, and won't register anything at all. I'm at a complete loss here, any ideas? I also snagged another speedo cable with the replacement gauge cluster, however that van had a manual transmission and the cable is like 3 or 4 inches shorter than ones for automatics so it's no good.

What else could go wrong here, could there be something physically inside the transmission that would muck this up or possibly a problem with the ECU?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by AD2101 View Post
    Alright I'm genuinely stumped on this one. On my 86 van, the speedometer intermittently worked (maybe like, 5% of the time) when I initially got it running. I recently disconnected the speedo cable from the transmission end and removed it, expecting to see some kind of damage, and there was none. I made sure the cable was clean and free of debris and reinstalled it. No change. I then cleaned up both the gauge end of the cable/cable housing as well as the gauge itself, no change. I then swapped in another gauge cluster I snagged from a yard last month, no change. I had previously bench tested my original gauge following the instructions in the FSM and it checked out fine, so I don't think it's my gauge and, if it was, the other one surely could not have also been bad.

Just for giggles I even started the van up without the gauge cluster installed and drove around the block a few times, and was able to verify that the cable spins. After all that, I put it all back together and now the speedometer is completely dead, and won't register anything at all. I'm at a complete loss here, any ideas? I also snagged another speedo cable with the replacement gauge cluster, however that van had a manual transmission and the cable is like 3 or 4 inches shorter than ones for automatics so it's no good.

What else could go wrong here, could there be something physically inside the transmission that would muck this up or possibly a problem with the ECU?
    You likely have 2 bad clusters. ECU has nothing to do with it as the speedometer is completely mechanical driven by a cable. You verified you can see the cable spins so the speedo gear in the transmission is fine otherwise the cable would not spin.

To further test the speedo itself use a drill motor with a bit small enough to fit in the speedo shaft similar to the size of the speedo cable and see if the speedo needle registers and the odometer in the tenths column begins to move its the black number on the white dial of the odometer.

If the speedo tests fine then its possible that a bit of the cable where it meshes with the speedo maybe broke off and the cable is not mating with the speedo head completely effectively if it broke its now too short and so I am more inclined now that I think of it , that could be the issue rather than the cluster being bad

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Quote Originally Posted by JPERL View Post
    If the speedo tests fine then its possible that a bit of the cable where it meshes with the speedo maybe broke off and the cable is not mating with the speedo head completely effectively if it broke its now too short
    I'm starting to think that this could be the culprit. I'll still test the cluster with a drill like you suggested since I'm a pro at pulling them now, but the speedo cable is basically just a nub coming out of the sheath, it maybe only comes out like 1 cm from the base of the sheath. I don't know if that's enough to consistently make contact. I'm not in any rush to pull the cluster out of my '88 for reference, but I did have to pull the cluster on my '87 4Runner last weekend for a different problem and noticed that the speedo cable comes out significantly farther than the one on this van does. It's still odd because I didn't notice any shearing on the cable, and no bits of it are visible inside the cluster, but I may have to look closer to be sure.

Looks like either way I'm off to the 'Wanted' section for a new speedo cable.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Replacement speedometer cable... what works?

I have a broken one near the 90 degree tube where it mounts into the t-case... looks like the end may have snapped off.

Has anyone tried a different one from a 4 runner possibly, or a pickup in the same year range?

OR, has anyone had success using one of those universal kits to cut and fit?

Been doing research, and can't find any answers on this. I have no alternative source for parts like a junkyard or anything.

Anyone tackled this?

I see a Celica one that is 78.25" long and has the exact ends for our vans... anyone have a length on the ones for a van with a manual tranny/ 4WD?

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Re: Replacement speedometer cable... what works?

An easy alternative is to use a GPS unit.
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I had a local speedometer shop make me a new one.

Van Enthusiast blakebecker37130's Avatar
    My Van(s):
    96 Previa Alltrac SC LE

If the housing is still good, I have the internal cable from an 86 LE. It can be routed through the housing once the housing is removed from the transmission. I’ll sell it for 25.00 plus shipping. I have a eBay store. I’ll post it up fo sale there tonight or tomorrow.
    https://www.ebay.com/str/beckermarketingandsales

Best regards,
    Blake

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4WD Manual

Hey just curious, does anyone know if a speedo cable from a 2wd manual TV would work in a 4wd manual TV?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Tim provided the part number in post #3 and I did a parts cross reference, it looks like the part number only works with with the 2WD van with 4FC transmission.

Please double check and validate both part numbers for 2WD and 4WD.

JDM

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Here's better detailed information with the different types of chassis a d transmission-

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Hello everyone,

My speedometer is not working too, the gas gauge and the temperature gauge are working fine.
    I have found 2 junk yards with 2 vans and I'm thinking to go to pick up the cable but I don't have an idea how the cable looks like and where is it. Could you please someone help me? maybe with a pic? I fixed my lights few days ago, is the cable in the same area, under the steering wheel?

Thank you very much!!
    iq

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

I forgot to mention, my speedometer and the odometer don't working?

any help will be much appreciate it!!

thank you!
    iq

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

trace the speedometer cable from the back of the instrument cluster that's the easiest way to locate it

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I will add also the speedo cable is discontinued. I am glad I stocked up on 2 these back 5 years ago when they were still available

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

JPERL thank you for your quick reply. I found someone who can rebuilt the cable for me, it's just very expensive ;-)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've never tried to rework a van speedo cable before, but back in the day we could get the inner part in bulk, cut to length, then smash the ends using a square die in a vise.

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by iq_artwork View Post
    I have found 2 junk yards with 2 vans and I'm thinking to go to pick up the cable but I don't have an idea how the cable looks like and where is it.
    Ok, so having gone through this myself recently (and I FINALLY figured it out lol), here is the transmission end you're going to want to find:

Name:  IMG_20180916_150710005.jpg
Views: 2353
Size:  88.3 KB

Once you get that piece off, you can simply pull out the cable:

Name:  IMG_20180916_151002179.jpg
Views: 2020
Size:  87.8 KB

By chance, what transmission and drivetrain style (2wd/4wd) van do you have? I learned the hard way there is a lot of variation in these parts given the varying lengths between the gauge cluster and back of the transmission. I should still have a good cable for an manual 2wd van if that's what you have, I also have the speedo cable for a 4wd automatic van. I know there is a difference in length between automatic and manual van speedo cables, I'm not sure if 4wd or 2wd makes a difference though. If you're willing to be a Guinea Pig, send me a PM.