Thread: Front Brake Line / Brake Hose

My Van(s):
    1987 2WD

Front Brake Line / Brake Hose

Other than replacing pads & rotors I've never had to deal with replacing brake lines. I noticed that one of my front lines is cracked & while I'm finishing off my front suspension I want to get them replaced.

Is this what I need?
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...Van&vi=1279784

Are there certain brands that better than others or is this one ok? Anything else I need should get to do this job right?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Front Brake Line / Brake Hose

Yes, that one will work for both front brakes on 2wd vans 87-89. It's aftermarket, but they are required to meet minimum safety standards so it should be fine. Some are better than others but it's hard to tell that until after you have purchased and installed (time will tell). Genuine Toyota quality is always top notch but their prices can be pretty hard to swallow. Have you tried www.rockauto.com? They are pretty awesome for parts like that. They have these for as little as $5.78 each. They do however have a screwy shipping calculator, so you gotta watch that whenever you order from them. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 2WD

Thanks Tim. You know I haven't checked with Toyota to see what they charge for these.

I agree with you on Rock Auto; I need to get Sway Bar Bushings too but I don't want to pay shipping from two separate locations on items that are this small.

But back to Brake Hoses. Is there a certain size I'm looking for? I noticed many stores divide the brake lines into domestic & import. & there are a lot of 'Japanese' brake lines. Will any of these fit?

My Van(s):
    1987 2WD

Ok, I think I might just go with the Raybestos hoses on Rock Auto. I've heard they make good products & the Sway/Stablizer bar bushings ship from the same location.

I only need two sway bar bushings for the front right?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I checked the EPC. Looks like that brake line is Toyota #90947-02505 & it's MSRP is $34.48 each. The on-line discount Toyota parts places like www.1stToyotaParts.com sell it for around $25 each. Regardless of what part you're after as long as the part application is called out for your year, make, and model it should be the right one. Mistakes are made occasionally, but for the most part they do a pretty good job. I've been using a lot more aftermarket parts lately (most from rockauto) and have had pretty good luck. That shipping calculator pisses me off though. I'm really trying hard to hold-off a rant on that. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 2WD

Thanks Tim, at that price I can get my whole order cheaper than one hose. I think I'm going to stick with the Made In USA Raybestos / Spicer / Dana.

Rock Auto has great prices but they do need to make it easier to shop from the same warehouses / vendors. One should be able to click through each warehouse & look at the inventory on-hand at each location. It would also be great to see where it is shipping from to determine how long shipping is going to take. I've had some stuff arrive next day because they were in Houston.

Will all the NLA and/or overpriced Toyota parts anything to keep these things on the road is extremely welcomed.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Lol, I was trying to hold back the rant, but here it comes . You know, this happens all the time with them. I'll have 4 or 5 hundred worth of stuff in my cart and it will be coming from 2 or 3 different warehouses. Then I add a $5 item and shipping goes up by $20. Funny thing is it will actually change the location of other items already in my cart . So if I have a $50 item coming from warehouse "B" (already in my cart), then I add a $5 item (also from warehouse "B"), it changes the $50 item to warehouse "C" and my shipping goes through the roof. WTF is that all about? If I delete the $5 item then the $50 item goes back to warehouse "B" and my shipping goes back down. This tells me the shipping locations they claim it comes from is complete BS (it's all about raping you for shipping). If you keep your shopping cart small (say under $100) this doesn't happen as much. When you get up to around $400 it's like they figure you're made of money & they change the rules.

When you're in the shopping mode, they actually do mark some items "ships from same location as other items in your cart" and you can add these without an extreme increase in shipping, but these are typically the higher priced items. I'm thoroughly convinced their shipping calculator is more of a scamming tool then anything else. If it wasn't for some of their awesome prices & close-out sales I probably wouldn't shop there at all. Tim