Thread: 1993 Previa SADS issue

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Estima (RHD)

1993 Previa SADS issue

I have to re/re my SADS on a 1993 Estima (RHD import from Japan) and any help out there would be appreciated. Should I put a newer model SADS in so I can replace couplings in the future? Pictures, instructions all welcome.

Thanks, folks.
    SRT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: 1993 Previa SADS issue

Hi & welcome to TVT (glad you found us ). I used the search feature and see there are a total of 20 threads that pop-up when using the term "SADS". Most of these contain the type of info you are asking for. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Estima (RHD)

Thanks for the tip - there's good stuff here.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa LE AWD

Hello, sorry if this in in wrong thread, I did not want to start another one. How can I tell if my SADS is shot. What I am trying to diagnose right now is a rubbery squeaking coming from the front driver side. IT seems to occur mostly below 20 mph whether I am driving straight or turning. I did a visual on my tie rods, ball joints and CV's and they all seem to be ok. Is there anything else that could be causing the squeaks?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    91 Toyota Previa

Hello all at Toyota Van Tech, I just joined the group and trying to figure out a SAD shaft issue. Do the after market polyurathane couplers work for more that a good while or should I get the aluminum ones ? We are down to our last dollar here and I need to make this great van go another 100,000 miles . Should I consider sticking a 1994 or newer shaft in from a junk yard with new coupler on it ? Can a 94 actually fit in a 91 ? A dealship person said it will not fit but some people on line seem to infer it can. The dealership wants a lot of $ for a new 91 shaft, like A LOT of money. More than the car is worth and more than I have at the moment . Great service you folks supply here just like the great car the Previa is . Would love some feedback soon the car is sitting in someones shop as I speak . Thanks again.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Hi and welcome to TVT! The shafts as assemblies are completely interchangeable for all years of Previas. Interchange issues only come up if you are trying to swap flex couplers from an early shaft to a later or visa versa. This is due to the diameter of the steel bushings inside the couplers. The only reason to change the entire shaft is if you have an early shaft and you want to use genuine Toyota parts to repair or replace (Toyota only sells couplers for the later shafts). If you want to try your luck with aftermarket couplers, then these are available for all shafts (just be sure you're getting the ones specified for your shaft). I put the urethane ones on my Previa a few years ago and so far they are holding up. I don't drive that Previa very much though, and I'd be surprised if I put 10k miles on it since doing that job. I have since purchased an entire later shaft (genuine Toyota) and plan to use this if/when the urethane couplers fail. I will likely be selling the Previa soon though, and will likely be selling my extra parts separately. PM me if you're interested in that shaft. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa 2WD

Quote Originally Posted by wagon wheel View Post
    Hello all at Toyota Van Tech, I just joined the group and trying to figure out a SAD shaft issue. Do the after market polyurathane couplers work for more that a good while or should I get the aluminum ones ? We are down to our last dollar here and I need to make this great van go another 100,000 miles . Should I consider sticking a 1994 or newer shaft in from a junk yard with new coupler on it ? Can a 94 actually fit in a 91 ? A dealship person said it will not fit but some people on line seem to infer it can. The dealership wants a lot of $ for a new 91 shaft, like A LOT of money. More than the car is worth and more than I have at the moment . Great service you folks supply here just like the great car the Previa is . Would love some feedback soon the car is sitting in someones shop as I speak . Thanks again.
    your dealer is full of it... if they punch in the part number for the 91-93 SADS into the computer, it will say the part has been superseded by the 94+ part number.... in other words, you CANNOT get the older style SADS even if you wanted to (who in their right mind would?)... when you buy a new SADS you get the 94+ one and no other one... as tim already said, they're interchangeable... it's one of the "little things" toyota did to fix a insufficient design and to improve reliability from a higher horsepower engine in 94 (S/C version was introduced in 94)

the newer SADS is much better and has larger couplings... you can also buy a replacement coupling kit from the dealer for it, whereas you can't with the older style SADS

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa Alltrac

Quote Originally Posted by wagon wheel View Post
    I have used 2 aftermarket manufacturers for SADS shafts, PreviaParts in Florida, now out of business and Colorado Drive Shaft in Denver. The first shaft lasted 3 or 4 years. The second one had issues within the first 15 months and CDS repaired it free of charge. Their warranty is 12 months, but they said on account of low mileage they would refurbish it free, and did. He said he had never seen one of their parts fail, but was glad to know they stand behind them if they do. CDS is so competent and stands behind their work so well that my buddy who runs a Toyota shop here uses CDS exclusively. The part is $300. Versus ca.$1000 for OEM Toyota parts.

http://www.coloradodriveshaft.com/toyota_previa.htm

best of luck

lohaus