Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trouble

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 van wagon 1986 van cargo

Re: trouble

I've been pre occupied getting the radiator recored on my 85 and installing it today, it was leaking and down for almost a week. I changed it out 8 years ago, I should have had the old one recored then, for a spare, but I never thought I'd have it this long.
    I have possible clue on the 86. I notice the #1 piston is very clean compared to the other three, same for the cylinder head. Don't know what to make of it. It seems unlikely that the head is cracked.I thought I might have pinched something on reassembly. The rocker assembly seemed okay on removal. It seems that intrusion of coolant to the combustion chamber must be cleaning the piston and head, right?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

After much thought, I changed out all four fuel injectors and connectors, and the connector for the TPS. Reassembled and the engine runs good, I am now installing an aux radiator while the cooling system is dry. I hope to have the van on the road soon. Ive been reading threads on overheat, as my 85 temp has started to climb for not apparent reason, in cool weather[65]. I changed out the thermostat with a spare 170 I had, and after warmiing the engine to 3\4 on the gauge, I inserted a good themometer in the filler neck, it reads 168!! The gauge is indicating more than that, I suspect the gauge is faulty. Any one replace the gauge with and after market one??

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Here's a thread that shows some possible locations: http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...ometer-Install. If you purchase an aftermarket temp gauge, be sure to get one with an electric sending unit. Most cheap ones have a capillary style sensor and the length of these cannot be altered. The length offered is usually adequate for standard cars but will likely be too short for the van. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Thanks, Tim, I have not installed a temp gauge in my life!! What is the thread size for the sensor?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The ports suitable for this are 16mm X 1.5 pitch. I answered your question in greater detail in the other thread. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

throttle position sensor

My 85 van just keeps rolling along. I bought it in 2000, intending to drive it to death in a couple of years, subjecting it to western New York winters. Instead, I use it to transport my windsurfing gear, starting with a trip to Cape Hatteras every April. I have always complained of its lack of power, and after obtaining an 86 a couple of years ago, the difference was obvious. I decided to change out the tps, after reading some of Tim's posts. The throttle body was severely carbonized, and the tps inop. The performance increase is obvious, particularly off idle acceleration. The performance is still down from the 4y, but improved. The van has 217 k, has never had the head or manifolds off. I intend to keep running it, especially since spending $400 on a radiator recore last year. I just ordered 'loaded' calipers from rock auto. With new hoses, $63 delivered to my door.