Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheel bearing parts

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Wheel bearing parts

That's awesome! Sometimes bearing noise can be tricky to diagnose. Usually it's the opposite side (side under load) that gets louder. Those type problems are a bit unusual with the wet tapered bearings (more common with the sealed type ball bearings). Glad you found it with minimal labor. Regarding retaining nut tightness.......the FSM actually says to torque it a bit. It's a very low number like 4 or 5 lbs (if I remember right). I always had a problem with that as it contradicts my training (from way, way back) and could never bring myself to do that. It sounds like you did it similar to the way I do. I always tighten a tiny bit beyond (probably similar to what the FSM says), spin the wheel, then back-off to hand tight (just enough to remove any pre-loaded torque). I've always set wet tapered bearings this way and have never had any issues with them (never once had a come-back). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 1985 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    In my experience, bearings that make that much noise look pretty bad (big pits and chunks of metal missing and/or chunks rolling around with the bearing. The rear bearings are bathed in oil and rarely fail, but it does occasionally happen. Based on the way it changes while cornering I would expect it to be on the passenger side. Tim
    Hey Tim, sorry for the dumb question, but just for clarification, are the rear wheel bearings lubricated by the same gear oil in the rear dif? So by changing the gear oil you are also changing the oil to both rear wheel bearings? I just did my drum brakes in the back and the wheel bearings sound rough (there's no wobble or wiggle though). A mechanic friend said they're lubricated by the gear oil and that once I drive around a little bit and allow the oil to recirculate the noise should go away (this van I brought back to life, it's been sitting since 2005). What do you think?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

old/dirty oil is still oil, so if it made noise with the old, I wouldn't expect it to go away with the new. If however you had a leak and there was little to no oil, then I hope it would change, but not count on it. FYI, unless you have a leak, the differential oil level should never get low. But if for some reason it does get low, the wheel bearings would be the 1st things to go dry. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

There is a seal between the oil-filled differential and the bearing so the gear oil shouldn't reach the bearing. The bearing is lubricated with grease before installation. The bearings I used were pre-greased and sealed so I didn't have to worry about packing them with grease. Actually, I think these wheel bearings are all sealed now.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Toyota Previa 1985 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    old/dirty oil is still oil, so if it made noise with the old, I wouldn't expect it to go away with the new. If however you had a leak and there was little to no oil, then I hope it would change, but not count on it. FYI, unless you have a leak, the differential oil level should never get low. But if for some reason it does get low, the wheel bearings would be the 1st things to go dry. Tim
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    There is a seal between the oil-filled differential and the bearing so the gear oil shouldn't reach the bearing. The bearing is lubricated with grease before installation. The bearings I used were pre-greased and sealed so I didn't have to worry about packing them with grease. Actually, I think these wheel bearings are all sealed now.
    Seems to be some disagreement

Maybe the bearings come greased for some initial lubrication, but after that they share the gear oil with the rear differential?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

I don't think the gear oil is ever supposed to get past that seal and reach the bearing. If it did, it could dilute or flush out the grease, causing improper lubrication of the bearing and wear. I don't even think the normal level of gear oil in the differential is high enough to flood those axle housings. When you're driving and everything is turning, I'm sure there is lots of oil splashing around and some can fling around in the housings, but it should drain back into the diff constantly and that seal should stop it from getting out towards the wheel bearing.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  60.1 KB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

In looking at the diagram I'd have to agree with Mark. I've never had problems with van rear wheel bearings before (knock on wood). I have however replaced them on older equipment from the 50's and 60's and those did rely on differential oil for lube. I wrongly assumed the van's axle/bearing design was the same. Thanks for calling me out on it. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I will concur that they are lifetime lubed double sealed bearings as I have two axles shafts with newly installed bearings sitting in my garage awaiting installation.