Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The fusible link thread

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: The fusible link thread

As a general rule fusible links should be replaced with fusible links. That being said I don't see any problems using a 15A fuse in place of the FL.5g. For the bigger ones though, I think it's just a good idea to stick with what Toyota intended. I still haven't had a need to replace a 2.0 link yet, but when it comes to fusible links the rule is to use a link 4 number sizes smaller than the wire it's protecting.

This means the 1st thing you'll need to do is determine the gauge of the white/blue wire. I can't recall what size this is but I'm thinking it's 6 ga wire. If it does turn out to be 6 gauge, then you will want a piece of 10 gauge fusible link wire to replace it with. If that wire is 8 gauge then you'll want a section of 12 gauge fusible link wire. Most auto parts stores like Napa will carry fusible link wire in bulk so I'd look for it there. To determine the gauge of the white/blue wire, when you cut/strip it, measure the diameter of the copper conductor and use the chart below. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Thanks Tim.

Not of course what I wanted to hear as I have decent weather today (35F and sunny).
    Tomorrow is supposed to be freezing rain, then rain, then snow. :(
    That and the teachers are on strike tomorrow so I will have added distraction.

The white/blue wire actually measures about 0.117in which is approx 9gauge wire, going by your chart.

Will have to see what I can hunt down around town, there are other stores, they're just further away.

Any idea how long the fuse link wire should be, I have about 2 feet of wire to replace to get from the harness to the battery.
    Would 6in of fusible link sufficient do you think? of which I am assuming that I should be hunting 13G fusible link.

I have found out here that odd numbers of anything isn't available, so if no 13 is available, would you go 12 or 14?
    I know for a fact I wont find any 9ga regular wire, my options will be 8 or 10.

My plan will be to go with 8ga regular wire and 12ga link??
    Would prefer to avoid a thermal event, as I am allergic to those sorts of things.
    Thanks
    BB

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I would probably go with 8 ga wire & the 12 ga fusible link. If it wasn't already cut out I would measure and cut to the same length as the old, but since it's already butchered I think 4"-6" sounds about right. FWIW, I've purchased this at Napa before, but you can also get this from Amazon or various other sources. Looks like Amazon sells the 12 ga in 4' long packages: http://www.amazon.com/Pico-8124pt-12...ible+link+wire. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Thanks Tim

In the end, I went to the other store and found 12g link wire, unfortunately the largest regular wire they stock is 10g.
    So for now it has 10g wire and 6in of 12g link.
    Will have to do for now, but have made a note of it for spring and will collect some better wire before then.

Currently Red is the daily driver, so up and running it needs to be.
    That and the impending weather prompted me to get it done.
    Just as well as the predictions are proving correct, miserable day out there.

Thanks for all the help
    BB

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Red has always displayed some odd little habits, such as the radio momentarily cutting out when the headlamp switch was turned on, or off.
    Since yesterdays rewire of the links, this behaviour is no longer present!

BB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4WD LE Van w/Auto with custom 4-row core radiator

The fusible link thread

Here's a Fusible Link chart from another site:

Ref URL http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/i...owtopic=107395

Fusing current is in older manuals but that depends on how long that high current is present
    .3mm is 100 amps
    .5mm is 100 amps
    .85mm is 150 amps, 15 sec or less
    *1.00mm is 160 amps, 30 sec or less, or 270amps if 5 sec. of less
    1.25mm is 190 amps, 15 sec or less

Continuous permissible current if:
    temp. is 176 degrees or less
    .85mm is 34 amps
    1.25mm is 40 amps
    temp. is 212 or less
    *1.00mm, is 26 amps

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 4WD LE Van w/Auto with custom 4-row core radiator

Fusible Link number AM1

Fusible Link number AM1 (Located on the upper rear firewall of the engine compartment - passenger side)

Fusible link AM1 on my van is a 'bolt-on' modular style fusible link that cannot be readily "pulled" out of its mounting socket like the other three modular style fusible links at the same location can. AM1 looks just like the other three at the same location, but to remove it, a person must un-attach the fusible link 'fuse box' from the rear firewall, then unscrew it from its internal mount within.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd work van 87 4wd play van

Re: Fusible Link number AM1

Quote Originally Posted by MonTex View Post
    Fusible Link number AM1 (Located on the upper rear firewall of the engine compartment - passenger side)

Fusible link AM1 on my van is a 'bolt-on' modular style fusible link that cannot be readily "pulled" out of its mounting socket like the other three modular style fusible links at the same location can. AM1 looks just like the other three at the same location, but to remove it, a person must un-attach the fusible link 'fuse box' from the rear firewall, then unscrew it from its internal mount within.
    Wish I had read this before I tried to pull mine out.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota VAN 4x4

AM1 Fusible link?

So the van lights were left on by yours truly and a nice couple had a jumper to get me going. One of the boxes you leave on for 5 mins to charge the battery a little. The issue now is that the charge light came on and the radio went out along with the wipers, blinkers, heater/AC, etc. I thought the battery may finally have been done for so I bought a new one. Still nothing. No power to the ignition it seems and the radio and all mentioned above won't work still either. Headlights and emergency blinkers work. Charge light still on. Could it be the AM1? Or the fusible link on the battery terminal? Any help would be appreciated as I am in a really remote location and little help mechanically here.

Jay

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: AM1 Fusible link?

check your charge fuse on the the fuse block... i think its a 15A or 10A fuse or 7.5A Im not 100% on the amperes, but find it and make sure its not blown.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota VAN 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by ninz30 View Post
    check your charge fuse on the the fuse block... i think its a 15A or 10A fuse or 7.5A Im not 100% on the amperes, but find it and make sure its not blown.
    I already checked the charge fuse and it appears to be fine. Just for the hell of it I checked them all and they all seem good. Thats what lead me to believe its one of the fusible links?

Jay

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Check the FL 1.25B fusible link. It's the 1st one shown in POST #1 OF THIS THREAD. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota VAN 4x4

Thanks Tim! That was the one.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    84 Toyota Van

Hey Tim, great thread. I was super excited to get out there this morning and check these fuses out. Left4Dead has been sitting a few years and not getting juice to the starter coil or fuel pump. Started with the starter motor - works on the bench, got juice at the starter big wire only. Checked the fuses under the dash, center right - all good. Next, the fuse able links but......they're not where your pics show . Is my 84 that different? I'll check on the rear fire wall for tomorrow. Any other advice?

Thanks a ton,
    Rand

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, sorry but I forget sometimes that 84-85 vans exist (I don't own any). From what I understand the FL 1.25B Fusible link was not used 84 - 85 (at least not located in the same place). Perhaps somebody more familiar with the 1st generation vans will chime in here to explain the differences. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota van 4wd

I have the "christmas tree" dash problem, just in time for the holidays. I checked out the FL 0.5G fuse and the green wire lead is broken off about 2 inches from the fuse, and I can't find the rest of the wire. Where does the green wire go? Thanks

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The green wire goes to the battery positive & the white wire goes to the sense terminal on the regulator (built into the alternator). I'd just get rid of it and replace with a fuse holder like I did in POST #1 OF THIS THREAD. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Is there a suitable replacement for the 86 toyota Van 1.25B fusible Link Block and fusible link ?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Unfortunately the holder is part of the wire harness, and I don't think you'll find that new. I'm thinking something like THIS might do the job, but I would want it mounted in a sheltered location. There are other things you can find on Amazon, eBay, etc. Just do a search and lots of stuff will pop up. You'll want it to trip/blow at around 80A. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Thanks Tim. I did find one of the last 2 fusible link blocks for the FL 1.25B fusible link still in stock. So for any one else out there looking, the part number is 82620-28040 for the plastic Block Assy. The 1.25B fusible link part number is 90982-08276.