Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Van started running rough? Misfiring on clyinder 3?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Re: Van started running rough? Misfiring on clyinder 3?

Roger that VanCo. Today should be an interesting day. They have had the van now for 7 weeks. And they are still lost.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Occasionally I'll run into something odd that stumps me. If/when I find myself in that spot, I've discovered it to be very valuable having parts vans around. If you have that luxury, then I'd recommend swapping parts. Swapping of parts may be a form of cheating, but in those rare times I've resorted to that, it's helped me figure things out very quickly. If you don't have a parts van around, then not such a good strategy as some of these parts are very expensive (if you can find them).

If you do have another van with these parts, I'd probably start by swapping the distributor (with the coil in it), then move to the igniter, then the ECU. Although it doesn't seem likely to be these parts, they all control some aspect of your your ignition system, so any or all could be suspect. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Yea, it may get to that Tim. I was busy yesterday and did not have a chance to check in with them. I think they are getting tired of the job. His last comment after I relayed VanCo input on the matter was they were checking the electrical signal on the #3 injector. Then he texted me and told me he was checking the EFI resistor, what ever that is. But I am gravitating to your comments. I don't have any of the old parts, it was 4 months ago I did this. So I guess I will have to pull the ECU out and get the part number and see if I can find one. As for the rest of the goodies I can still buy from RockAuto I guess.
    EFI resistor, huh, anyone ever here of that? I will check the Service Manual. Maybe I can find something in there on it.

Thank all of you. We will get this and we will all know what to do should it occur again.

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Just found it. He is nuts. They are in series with each batch of injectors. The problem is that the plugs are always wet with fuel. So they must be at least turning on, why would he even think this would be a suspect? I don't know.

MT

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

injector stuck open?

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

The resistors are there to ohms match the low impedance injectors to the ECU injector drivers.

If a resistor is bad it usually creates an open circuit and the corresponding injector won't open.

A stuck injector can either be mechanical (e.g. pintle stuck) or electrical. If an injector driver was bad it would affect other injectors since it's batch fire.

It is simple to diagnose. Disconnect power to the injectors and coil and crank. Pull plugs, if all cylinders are dry except #3, then #3 is mechanically stuck. If all are dry, there still could be a trigger issue. They could swap injector plugs to see if they can get a different cylinder to act like the problem one. Since it's batch fire swapping them for diagnostics isn't a big deal.

This whole thing seems silly to me. With the proper tools, knowledge, and a standard "flow chart" this shouldn't take more than a few hours to diagnose. These van, though they look weird, are still regular internal combustion 80's EFI vehicles. There are no flux capacitors, and it isn't powered by a Mr fusion.

I really do wish you luck.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Yep, I am with you on this all the way. A bit of deductive reasoning should have nailed this. I have this crap feeling that I will be driving it away on 3 pistons and doing it myself.
    They have over 1K into now and there is no way I am paying a nickel.

Thanks guys, will keep you posted, great input

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Still putting me off. They said I need to replace these also. Never saw these before. He said they are on most 2.0 engines spark plugs. Can anyone tell me what these are called?

MT
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 2wd Auto LE

Quote Originally Posted by MyToy View Post
    Still putting me off. They said I need to replace these also. Never saw these before. He said they are on most 2.0 engines spark plugs. Can anyone tell me what these are called?

MT
    Spark plug tubes/gaskets. They pull right out if the spark plugs are out. If you haven't replaced the gaskets, they're probably dried up and hard/cracked and worth replacing since they may leak and should be very cheap--mine came with a valve cover gasket set. Toyota part #90430-31141. I don't know of any reason to replace the tubes themselves, though.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

That's a spark plug tube, Toyota P/N 11191-22010, and the black o-ring at the top is the spark plug tube gasket, Toyota P/N 90430-31141. (Same part numbers for all vans, all years.)

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by eightysnix View Post
    I don't know of any reason to replace the tubes themselves, though.
    The tubes are held in place by the spark plug. If the spark plug is over-torqued the aluminum part of the tube under the spark plug gets squished and can tear out. If/when they leak oil into the tube, excessive oil build-up inside the tube can interfere with spark, causing a rough running issue. If the bottom area where the plug grabs is damaged replace the entire tube. If that's okay, then just replace the o-rings where the top of the tube seals to the head. Tim

PS: The tubes should be flat on the bottom. The one in the picture (above) looks like it's tore up on the bottom (classic issue caused by over torquing the plug). For this reason I like the older style plugs with the bigger base (13/16" instead of 5/8").

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thank you everyone. Thanks Gwen, these tubes cannot be purchased by way of normal places. I did find them at a fork lift site. Thank you so much for getting me the part numbers.

Still no word on Cylinder #3. All suggestion have been checked including timing and cam. I think they have just put her aside and doing nothing. I was able to see #3 plug and it looks like it came right out of the box as new. Shinny and clean with no activity. How could this possibly happen? Tons of spark, tons of air, and tons of fuel and only on #3 and not on its matching batch plug #1.

So so disappointing. The van is about 85% finished and now a major delay

This is one mystery we will all learn from.

MT

My Van(s):

I'm not sure if it's been covered (usually ruled out in the beginning of the misfire flow chart), but misfires can be caused by vacuum leaks. Basically too much air sneaking in throwing off the air fuel ratio. There are three places a vacuum leak can occur that will impact a single cylinder on these engines. The gasket where the plenum meets the intake, the gasket where the intake meets the head, and the injector where it seats into the intake.

There are several ways to test for this. My favorite is a tool that pressurizes and introduces smoke to the intake system. Wherever the smoke is escaping, there is a leak.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

VanCo:
    How unbelievable you just mentioned this. I just built one of these with a pickle jar, an old soldering iron and some hoses. I own a Porsche 911 with the old CIS injection system. Air box is alway a worry should it crack during any backfire. So I built one of these over the weekend and did the same thing. Closed off all areas to the outside world and pumped it up with a bicycle pump. found 3 leaks, Injector, Elbow hose, and rubber coupler.
    Question is where would we stick it into the system. It would have to after #3 injector and before it hits the intake valve. Not sure about that, any thoughts?
    Here is a pic of my smoker.
    One is static and the other is after 5 minutes the iron is on. You can see the smoke build up. I used an old sock and baby oil
    MT
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):

That's awesome!

You could use that smoke leak detector. Try removing the intake boot and plugging the throttle body. Hook the detector up to the brake booster vacuum line, or pcv valve. If a leak is large the bike pump may work. You might need more flow though. Possibly an air mattress pump? I use an air compressor with regulated low pressure. If you do pump more pressure in, take off the oil cap. The blow by past the cylinders can create excessive crank case pressure and blow seals.

Since I have a turbo I have run a version of this method to 15psi to look for boost leaks. You shouldn't really have to build any pressure, and if you do, only go to 5psi max (plus who knows what a pickle jar can handle).

Oh, if your smoke ends up just going straight out of the exhaust, that means the engine is positioned so that one of the cylinders has its valves overlapping. Just give the engine a 1/8 or so turn and it should be good.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Quote Originally Posted by MyToy View Post
    . I own a Porsche 911 with the old CIS injection system. Air box is alway a worry should it crack during any backfire.
    MT
    we used to install pop off valves in the airbox when i worked at the Porsche shop way back....

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Yes, I am very familiar with the pop off. I have one and never installed it. I am just so scared of cutting a hole that big into my airbox. But I think now is the time. My leak was from the rubber elbow that spans the fuel distributer to the air box. I purposely keep the hose clamps loose so in the event it back fires the rubber elbow blows off. It has worked for 30 years. But I lose performance so I am thinking I will install it now.

Latest on the van. NOTHING!!!!!!!! I told them about VanCo's idea and told them I already had the smoker. They don't take my suggestions very well, but if they don't get it by the weekend, I am going to drive her out of there on 3 cylinders and do it myself.
    They only work on it now if they have little work, so I am shelved half the time.

Thanks again to all of you.

MT

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

I'm late to the party and I read the spark plugs were wet and they put in new injectors so I'm most likely wrong...but I had the same problem after my rebuild and it was a clogged injector. Hope I don't send you on a wild goose chase. Good luck and I really hope it gets figured out.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

I think that has been covered a few times now. They are new but who knows. The amount of stuff done this week is mind boggling. They mentioned something about the timing of the injectors upon key start. Then they thought is was a bad ground to chassis. So they replaced the minus battery cable. It was 5 ohms they said. But of course why would that have anything to do with why on cylinder is not firing? Then they said they found a splice issue. Well the only thing I can think is spliced are the new connectors on the new injectors. Then they felt that there was too much emissions from one spark plug wire causing interference. OH BOY. So new plug wires and dist cap replaced with is really OK, have to start swapping out stuff as per Tim's suggestion.

So I really don't know how it was left Friday. I was to busy at work to be concerned.

So tomorrow morning will be a fact finding mission. I will go over here and see what the hell is going on. What a joke.

Hey, I know this is a stupid question but do you think the injectors are polarized?
    Wouldn't that be goof if they were and they reversed one. I really doubt it. Maybe they are diode blocked.

Will keep all posted on this one.

Thanks again
    MT

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I don't think polarity matters. I've always hooked them up exactly like Toyota did "just because", but I've test fired them both ways. In testing there was no noticeable difference in current draw or spray pattern regardless of polarity. Tim