Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pictures in threads

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Re: Pictures in threads

try using imgur for hosting photos. its the best (and free)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I wish somebody would come up with good photo hosting/editing software that works well with vBulletin. If such a thing ever becomes available I'll be all over it. Until then the only options are to struggle with the lame software here or find a good remote hosting site. Unfortunately I can no longer recommend photobucket as they have really started to suck. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Do you know what version of vbulletin we use? i dont know a whole lot about it but it looks like the latest version is vbulletin 5. you could probably look around or post in their forums and see if theres something out there like that. or ask if theres someway to integrate imgur - im pretty sure imgur has an API that could make doing that possible (probably no editing, but hosting would be nice)

of course you can always just upload to imgur first and then link it like you would with photo bucket or anything else. I've always just uploaded directly to here but i know there are limits to that.
    Last edited by spacecruisers; 10-16-2016 at 12:59 AM.

My Van(s):
    92 previa

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Oh man nice!!

Are you using an iPhone 7???

I turned off my Photo Live feature but it still didn't work

Theres also a HDR button, I'll try and turn that off as well and see if that works.

Or I'll probably have to fire up the iPhone 4S for photos!!!!
    Im still using the ole 4s. Cracked screen, slow... Its just barely working! I really ought to get a new phone. Maybe someday soon? Im still Trying to get camper van maxed out for winter in Palo Duro.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

mistershmi-

thanks for for the heads up on imgur I'll check it out, I like the convenience of just posting right out my photo library. The forum is currently running vbulletin 4.2.3

Tim-

no worries I'll see if there's a way to reduce the picture size and maybe that'll help, maybe it's like mistershmi said that the vbulletin isn't up to date??

tbkilb01-

wow still sporting the 4s, i thought I was the only one!!! I had to finally move up, 3 months ago I got the iPhone SE and then just went all out last week and gave it to my son and picked up the iPhone 7... I think it's the phone that's causing the problems.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

We might be behind one or 2 revisions, but our software here is pretty current (we just brought everything up to the latest version ~ 1 year ago. I spent a lot of time researching this the last time it was brought up and posted about it in another thread. Here's a copy paste from that:

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    FYI, I recently looked into getting better picture software as an add-on or plug-in to the site & got the following response from our hosting service:

Tim,

Unfortunately there there are no supported advanced image manipulation add-ons available for vBulletin that I am aware of. Images being sideways and upside down is a common issue due to the way some devices embed data as to the orientation of the camera when the photo was taken and many OS's correct the orientation automatically but generally web browsers do not.

What I have told my users to do was to start uploading images to an image hosting site like http://imgur.com They offer advanced editing tools, and after uploading they can quickly copy and paste the BBCode (Forum) text and paste it directly into a new post.

It gives users a powerful easy to use upload option and also keeps your server disk space from getting filled with images that can be hosted elsewhere.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

URLJet Support

So, I guess for now, users who have trouble with our on-site photo hosting should go to photobucket or one of the other remote hosting sites. I'm sorry about this as I'd prefer to have complete control of the pics, but I've played this out as far as I can. It's possible future versions of our software will include better image hosting, but for now we are running the latest version and this is as good as it gets. Thanks for understanding. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    We might be behind one or 2 revisions, but our software here is pretty current (we just brought everything up to the latest version ~ 1 year ago. I spent a lot of time researching this the last time it was brought up and posted about it in another thread. Here's a copy paste from that:

thats perfect! i forgot imgur gives you BBcode links. as mentioned, uploading them directly to the forum is better for you (you'll have long term control to keep images from breaking) but those looking for a good external hosting option it sounds like imgur would be the way to go.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

Santa Barbara
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    wow still sporting the 4s, i thought I was the only one!!!
    my son has a 4S

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Very cool van, Ace MM! (drool, drool)

Could you please repost that in the Van and Previa Talk subforum? I think it belongs (deserves to be) there!

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

having technical difficulty uploading photos, keep get Failed message

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Non functioning Previa

I'm getting the same problem, please share a solution if you find it :-)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by NoLimePlease View Post
    I'm getting the same problem, please share a solution if you find it :-)

NoLime, in reviewing one of your recent posts I noticed you're using Flickr. As llamavan mentioned earlier in this thread, it's also been my experience that Flickr is not "user friendly" (as it does not offer correct tags for posting pics that display in forums). They only provide links that redirect people to their site to view pics. Photobucket has gotten messed up with other issues (mainly problems with editing pics), but at least they offer up ready made tags for the forum. If you copy/paste photobucket's third picture tag it will display the picture nicely in your post (no need for redirect). Imgur offers tags that will work, but you need to add the code "[img]" ahead of it and "[/img]" behind it (no spaces) to make it display directly in the post.

FYI, this is all based on personal experience, and I'm far from being an expert in these areas. If anybody has better information, please share. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

I like to use Lunapic. Fairly straight-forward. After a little experimenting most people should be able to use it quite easily. If I can figure it out, so can everyone else.

Tip: I found when resizing a pic to post on the forum, size 600 x 800 seems to be a perfect size.
    This way the pic is not oversized causing people to scroll left/right to see the whole image.

http://www140.lunapic.com/editor/

Last edited by trestlehed; 12-04-2016 at 02:29 PM. Reason: .
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Thanks for the suggestion. I had not previously heard of them. Tim

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

For the benefit of anyone who has been reading this thread, Postimage broke all my photo links, and has since deleted my account and photos without notification. I definitely cannot recommend Postimage for photo hosting.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van