Thread: seat / hood holder latch

My Van(s):
    1986 toyota le

seat / hood holder latch

where can i find a replacement for this hood holder plastic catch, whats it called ? are there any pics of a home made one?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: seat / hood holder latch

Here's a quote from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by trestlehed View Post
    Abracadabra,

This is not my idea originally, it came from another member on TVP. The stealership wants WAY too much $ for that thing.
    Instead, go to Home Depot or Lowes to the hardware dept where they sell chains. There you will find the small steel braided cable (think small diameter cheap bicycle cable that you would never trust to protect your bike from thieves). Make measurements from your van by using the old strap as a reference or bring the old strap with you. A store worker will have to assist you. They will cut the cable to length and crimp-on the collars. Should cost you $10 or less. Use a small carabiner on the lower end to secure to the engine lid. Also bring with you the bolt and washer that bolts into the vans sidewall pillar so you can make the top-end of the cable loop the right size so the cable loop-end won't be too big for the bolt/washer.

Edit/update:

Attachment 803 Attachment 804

My Van(s):
    1986 toyota le

o.k thanks , i,ll be making me up something like that maybe i can post a pic also.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

Is there some trick to getting the screw that holds it in place to come off? I've tried on a few vans now and have only manage to damage it. I actually found a pristine holder in a junkyard once but could not get it out.

My Van(s):
    1986 toyota le

when i went to remove mine i used a #2 phillips and it started striping off, i stopped and got the next size bigger craftsman phillips maybe #3 and tapped a couple times with a hammer then pressed and turned really hard and it came loose, but it was 'tighter than dicks hat band" at 1st. good luck.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

I know this is an old thread, but...I found it when I looked for information about the hood holder strap. Thanks for the cable suggestion.

Regarding the damage to the screw, a lot of "Phillips" screws from Japan are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard), which have a different taper on the head of the driver and a less-pointed tip. I bought a set of JIS screwdrivers for a lot of old motorcycle screws and the largest of my set, #2, fit the hood strap screw perfectly.

You can often make a Phillips screwdriver fit a JIS screw (and slightly damaged Phillips screws) better by grinding off the screwdriver's pointed tip a little bit so the driver fits more snugly into the cross on the head. The technique of tapping it in while turning as described above often works, too.

All that said, usually JIS screws can be identified by a dot or cross marked on the head to the side of the slot. My strap screw doesn't have either.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

Again, thanks to the post that Tim provided above for the inspiration. In case it's useful my version is shown in the pictures below. The whole cost was less than ten dollars and took an hour. The cable is 3/16" vinyl-coated steel cable, with a 3/16" thimble on the bottom, and a stack of big/small/small/big washers on a slightly longer bolt than the original. In high load cable assemblies you should not use those aluminum ferrules on plastic-coated cable, but for this application they grip well enough for me.
    Name:  01 Strap parts 1.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  41.4 KB Name:  02 Strap parts 2.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  45.8 KB Name:  03 Strap parts 3.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  47.6 KB Name:  04 Strap mounted.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  93.6 KB Name:  05 Strap and hood.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  91.5 KB

I used plastic coated cable so it wouldn't snag on things or abrade the interior fabric. You could use uncoated cable and wrap it in tape or attach a little fabric tube to enclose it. I'm sure there are good ways to make a hood holder with 1" web strap, too.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The real thanks (and effort) goes to trestlehed (Mark) for coming up with this . Thanks Mark!

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    The real thanks (and effort) goes to trestlehed (Mark) for coming up with this . Thanks Mark!
    Thanks for the kudos Tim! However, like I said in my original post... This was not my idea. Someone over on TVP came up with it 5 or 6 years ago.

That said, I didn't know you could get the braided cable with a vinyl coating. That's a great option and I might look into upgrading mine.
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE

trestlehed said "I didn't know you could get the braided cable with a vinyl coating. That's a great option and I might look into upgrading mine."

39 cents a foot at my little local hardware store...slightly cheaper per foot (looks like 10' minimum) on Amazon but you can get the coating in black, red, orange, or yellow.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Shiro Tanuki - silver '85 LE 2wd automatic

Does anyone know what the part number is for this piece?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Sorry I don’t know the part number, this part is NLA (No Longer Available) that’s why these creative inventions are being made

You might be in luck for a Aftermarket Original made by one of members, he may still have some for sale—

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ht=Engine+hood

Good Luck

JDM
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 06-30-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Shiro Tanuki - silver '85 LE 2wd automatic

Oooh, classy. Thanks JDM!
    It’s impossible to find anything about these things because no one seems to know what to call them haha

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

The "correct" (Toyota) name is ENGINE SERVICE HOLE COVER SUPPORT BAND and the part number varies by color:

58936-28010-03 GRAY
    58936-28010-04 LIGHT BLUE
    58936-28010-06 LIGHT BROWN

All of which is immaterial because, yes, they have been NLA for a looooong time. The member-made versions are all much sturdier anyway, and the importance of that aspect becomes apparent the first time an OEM fails with your head in the engine bay ...

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    The member-made versions are all much sturdier anyway, and the importance of that aspect becomes apparent the first time an OEM fails with your head in the engine bay ...

Gwen

This actually happened to me... I was so proud to have an "unbroken" one too, until it snapped and hit me in the back of my noggin. Lots of sware words ensued. And I spilled my coffee. Not cool.
    Anyways I am gonna rig one out of some old nylon strap, with a couple of caribiners. Will post up my contraption when I'm done.

My Van(s):
    89 4WD, 87 le 4WD, 85 2wd , 87 2wd cargo , 88 2wd cargo. 76 International Harvester school bus,

I had the head bonk happen when I went to check out a new purchase van. All I had was a cam strap used for tying stuff to your raft. looped it through the window behind the driver seat amd threaded the strap thru the hole on the lid. very solid. panels out of luck. I like the cable fix. I use a similar set up on my ski boots to prevent runaway skis.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Van Wagon LE

I made a replacement hook

You know that plastic hook you use to hold up the seat so you can work on the motor?
    Mine broke.
    I made a replacement in aluminum.
    Name:  hook1.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  92.9 KB
    Name:  hook2.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  93.0 KB
    More pictures:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CAN3NW8nlsm/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_h6LSQHVdW/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B76xlDEh9R1/