Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power Steering Pressure Line Fix

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 LE Van Wagon RWD

Re: '88 2WD LE Power Steering Pressure Line Fix

Quote Originally Posted by daverave64 View Post
    Also, the new line I purchased did not have the 3 mounting tabs, which actually allowed a little bit more room to get in it, I made some replacement tabs from cushion clamps.
    Hey daverave64,

I was wondering if you could explain how you made the mounting tabs (and maybe post pics). I ran into the same problem and I was trying to just buy some new ones, but can't find the part number anywhere. I have decided to give up and make some, or borrow a dremel to cut the old ones off and rebound them onto the new part. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 Toyota Van LE RWD Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by bmiller425 View Post
    Hey daverave64,

I was wondering if you could explain how you made the mounting tabs (and maybe post pics)
    Hi
    pic attached of the cushion clamp. I had to open up the mounting bolt hole, tab is pretty thin and instead of drilling it out, I just cut a slit and spread it out a bit.
    I used a flat washer, lock washer and new bolt to secure it to the mounting point, works great.
    Hope this helps,
    daverave64
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 LE Van Wagon RWD

Quote Originally Posted by daverave64 View Post
    Hi
    pic attached of the cushion clamp. I had to open up the mounting bolt hole, tab is pretty thin and instead of drilling it out, I just cut a slit and spread it out a bit.
    I used a flat washer, lock washer and new bolt to secure it to the mounting point, works great.
    Hope this helps,
    daverave64
    Thanks daverave64!

4. 12-02-2017, 06:12 PM

Reason
    Moving to different thread

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 LE

Re: Power Steering Pressure Line Fix

This thread has been incredibly helpful as I try and tackle this fix.

However, I’m encountering a similar situation as AD2101 in post#39. All the shops I go to can make the line with the female end, but no one has the 10mm to 3/8” compression fitting.

The part referenced in Post#39 is now $32.00

I googled the compression fitting size and this popped up on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JJBRJ38Q&psc=1

I’m not versed in hydraulic fittings, or hydraulics in general. Considering the price difference, would this be a suitable fitting for the job?

Thanks, Dave

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, I think that would work fine. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota LE

Quote Originally Posted by whatvan View Post
    This thread has been incredibly helpful as I try and tackle this fix.

However, I’m encountering a similar situation as AD2101 in post#39. All the shops I go to can make the line with the female end, but no one has the 10mm to 3/8” compression fitting.

The part referenced in Post#39 is now $32.00

I googled the compression fitting size and this popped up on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...JJBRJ38Q&psc=1

I’m not versed in hydraulic fittings, or hydraulics in general. Considering the price difference, would this be a suitable fitting for the job?

Thanks, Dave
    I had a leak I never dealt with so I figured if I was going to keep the van long term i needed to dig into this. My leak was in the hose just below the pump as others have described. I cleaned everything up, filled the reserve up and then started cranking the wheel and looking around. There were two pin holes in the rubber hose about 5 inches below the pump.

For what it's worth the line from the pump to the hard line connecting to the rack can be easily found on Amazon, etc... I bought mine for $50. I pulled the radiator, fan and shroud. Wrestled with the fresh air intake which was honestly the hardest part of the job and had it all buttoned up in about 3 hours. I took an angle grinder to the 3 rubber clamps as they were spot welded on one of the two tabs so I just ground that tab off, un-bent it, put it on the new line and re-bent it.

I felt that it made more sense to leave it stock for the next person but that is my call. I understand why you would splice to fix this as it would be much less work but in terms of time I suspect putting the new line in would be easier than finding a hydraulic shop, ordering parts...

No photos as it is pretty self explanatory

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van wagon

I forgot to mark the hoses and inlets when I pulled the engine apart almost done with the rebuild just have to put the power steering lines on. Is the port on the steering that is closest to the radiator the inlet that receives the pressure line from the pump?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

If you're talking about the ports on the rack, they are slightly different in size and will only go on one way.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van wagon

I was worried about that for some reason both fittings will go on either port. I want to say the port closest to the radiator is the pressure side. I hope I haven’t stripped anything. Do you know if the port closest to the radiator is the pressure side??? I m really hoping these isn’t stripping in there now. I wound them in both ports somehow.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van wagon

You’re right of course Tim!!! I can get both in the back, one really loose one proper tight and only one of them will wind properly in the front. Which is the pressure side for sure.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Again, I'm still assuming you're talking about the rack, and if you are, the port on the back (radiator side) is the pressure line. The port on the front (bevel gear side) is the return line. The return line can also be easily identified as it has regular spring clamps near the rack where it changes from metal to rubber. Does that answer your question?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van wagon

Yes it does thank you

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

For what it's worth, I'm not 100% sure these ports are different size, I just know that's a common thing for manufacturers to do to avoid confusion. I changed the rack on my 86 back in August last year and I assumed they wouldn't interchange, so I didn't mark or even worry about these. When I put the new rack in I just screwed them in as they lined up (seemed right). The power steering has been working well since then, so it must be right. Maybe I just got lucky. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 automatic

On my '85, I just installed a power steering pump and lines after driving it in manual for the first few months. The 1st gens don't have a rack, but a recirculating ball type steering gear. I assumed that both fittings (pressure and return) were different sizes and couldn't be mixed up, but I found out I was wrong. I had attached the pressure line to the return side. When I started the van and turned the steering wheel just slightly, it violently jerked out of my hands and slammed back and forth. I quickly shut off the van before it could destroy itself. The wheels dug some pretty decent holes in the gravel driveway from slamming back and forth. I switched around the lines (both fittings were the same) and now it steers fine.
    Basically, if you install the lines backwards, you'll know pretty quick.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Can an 88 High Pressure Line be used on an 89?

The High Pressure lines look the same to me but yet Toyota shows different part numbers and the matrix says they both are not compatible, but those matrix can be wrong often

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

88 & 89 are the same. There are some differences on earlier years but not between 88 - 89. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

thank you Tim, much appreciated