Thread: Seatbelt

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa LE

Seatbelt

Looking for a replacement driver's belt for my 92 Previa.
    Haven't been able to find an unfrayed unit in other Previas.
    Does anyone know if a belt from another Toyota vehicle would work?
    Thanks.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa LE

Re: Seatbelt

Found one from 1997 in the UK. It's the passenger front which equates to driver seat in Canada/USA.
    Any issues with using a 1997 in a 1992? Can I assume that the design didn't change mid generation?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

I replaced my original '91 driver's side seatbelt today with one from a '93 model. Not a bad job, but a little fiddly to get the panel loose and, as is typical with bodywork stuff, prone to breaking things if you're not careful and get frustrated. The manual isn't very helpful either.

1) Slightly pull out the weather stripping on the rear edge of the door to expose the edge of the panel. This isn't absolutely necessary but it helps.

2) Remove the center seat belt lower mount and the 2 caps/screws below the storage slot.
    DSCN4827.jpg

3) Now, if you follow the manual to the letter, (and the only reference I could find regarding this big side panel is within the "front side window glass" section of the body chapter) it tells you to lift the panel to remove it. Well, you'll be lifting all day and nothing will happen, unless you break something. There appears to have been some amnesia regarding the 2 clips right at the edge of the panel which need to be released by pulling straight out towards the interior of the van. Be prepared for some grossness and dead animals back there.
    DSCN4826.jpg

4) At this point removing the seat belt is straightforward. 2 bolts on the retractor mechanism, one bolt on the floor anchor point and one bolt under the top pulley. The panel which covers the pulley/slider adjustment remains in place.
    DSCN4829.jpg
    The plastic guide is removed by pinching it in the middle
    DSCN4828.jpg
    Last edited by Jonny; 02-03-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

There are various refurbishing companies that will replace the seat belt material for approximately $75.00. I plan to do this soon, but did find a driver's seat belt from a 1995 Previa for my 1992 for the time being.

Just Google Seat belt replacement.