Thread: Torque specs please

My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Spacia

Question Torque specs please

Hey all, just need a little bit of help please.

Changing the wheel bearings on my 95 Spacia and the only thing I can't locate is how tight to make the nut once the hub is back on.

Scott

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Torque specs please

Please keep in mind most of us are in the USA and they didn't offer these here. In 95 we only had the Previa, but these have sealed wheel bearings. I have no idea what the 95 Spacia used, but I'll give you some general info regarding tapered roller bearings (the kind you pack with grease). Typically there is no torque here. There can be exceptions on 4wd models, but for 2wd models with standard taper bearings the nut should be snugged (about 10 ft lbs torque). This is not a final torque, but merely to help seat the bearing and to squeeze excess grease out. At this point you should rotate the hub, then back the nut off until it can be moved with your fingers, then (using hand/finger pressure only) snug the nut tight. This IS the final torque. Next you'll need to lock the nut in place. Some models use a castellated nut & a cotter pin. If it's like our Vanwagons you'll have a formed sheet metal cap with castellations that fit's over a standard nut. If you have that type, push the cap on the nut & use a cotter pin to lock in place. If the castellations in the cap don't line up with the pin hole, reposition it on the nut & try again. If you have to adjust the nut (tighter or looser) to make it line up the rule of thumb is to make it looser rather than tighter.

If you have the permanently lubed/sealed type bearings, then you will need to get a service manual and refer to that for torque specs. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    1995 Toyota Spacia

Re: Torque specs please

Thanks Tim, you nailed it on the head.