Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Light Problem

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Oil Light Problem

Different years/trim levels had different warning systems. For 86 - 89, if you have a gauge, then you will not have a pressure warning light, but you will likely have an oil level warning light. If you have a pressure warning light, you probably don't have a level warning light.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

To clarify:

• on all '85 vans and on the '86-'89 cargo and DLX trim levels, there is a single warning light that illuminates for either low pressure or low level
    • from '86 on, the LE model has an oil pressure gauge and a small orange-ish LED that illuminates for low oil level only
    • some DLX vans also have the LE cluster arrangement (tach, oil pressure gauge, low oil LED); this was an option from the factory

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    To clarify:

• on all '85 vans and on the '86-'89 cargo and DLX trim levels, there is a single warning light that illuminates for either low pressure or low level
    • from '86 on, the LE model has an oil pressure gauge and a small orange-ish LED that illuminates for low oil level only
    • some DLX vans also have the LE cluster arrangement (tach, oil pressure gauge, low oil LED); this was an option from the factory

Gwen
    Huh..........could it be that all this time I have been misunderstanding the system for 86 - 89 cargo and DLX trim levels? I always thought that was only a pressure light. If it does oil level too, then that could explain the issue I discussed earlier in this thread with my 89 . I'm not driving that one anymore due to an idiot crashing into me. Sadly, my 86 LE daily driver (which I have been using as a substitute) was destroyed last week by a 16 year old in a Audi. Due to age and increasing rarity, I will likely be replacing it with a diesel Sprinter . Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4WD Manual

Re: Oil Light Problem, where is part?

Quote Originally Posted by ssocal87 View Post
    I picked this up as a solution to the oil level light (yellow one next to O/D light on the dash) but can't seem to locate it. I see the squarish oil pressure part on the driver side. Is this one located elsewhere? Any thoughts ? I am thinking that this may not apply to my model, 87 LE Auto 4wd.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0789C7C8R...GJ31RK8W2B6QGR

I believe the part you want to fix the oil level light (yellow) is 89491-27020 (and potentially Gasket: 90430-27001, can't remember if it was included or not). That's what I used in my 87 LE Manual 4WD. It was an expensive part 6 years ago ($180) and it's probably NLA at this point, but there are a few sites that show it available, but your order will likely get cancelled if it's NLA.
    https://toyotaparts.bochtoyotasouth....l-l-8949127020
    https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...vel-8949127020
    https://www.amayama.com/en/part/toyota/8949127020

Megazip and Amayama are international, but reputable sites. I've ordered from Megazip a few times (though only a couple orders actually shipped, due to NLA parts). I haven't ordered from Amayama yet, since PartSouq or Megazip usually have the part(s) I need cheaper.
    Last edited by Gareth; 03-29-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4WD LE

Thanks everyone for your insight on this. I'll look around and see. It is pricey and the actual oil level is good, no leaks either. Again, in appreciation.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

If you just want the oil level light to stay off and are already diligently checking your oil, you can unplug the level sensor where it connects to the alternator harness and put a jumper wire into the chassis side of the harness. It's the small, white, two wire connector in the vicinity of the + box. You could also do this under the van at the sensor connection. One of my vans was setup like this when I got it. For those with the non-LE dual purpose warning light this may work to eliminate the oil level from the mystery of, "Why is my oil light on?"
    Apply at your own risk.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

so I've got an '86 passenger van (not LE or DLX) and my oil light has been popping on after about 5 min after I start up. When I'm driving and get up to a decent speed it'll shut off. After slowing down it'll turn back on until I give it a little gas and that will shut the light off. I just replaced the oil pressure sender to eliminate that as a problem and the light is still coming on. Even if I leave the sender unplugged then start it up I'm getting the light after five minutes. My dipstick is showing full, so I'm a little at whits end on what it could be.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Your van has an oil pressure switch (just below the oil filter) and an oil level sensor inside the oil pan. If low pressure or a low level is detected, the same light will come on (2 different ways to illuminate the same light). In my experience, the oil level sensor (in the oil pan) starts to fail at ~150k miles and causes intermittent false alarms. Every van I have ever owned has had this problem, so I'm betting that's your issue. I have tried to clean/repair these before to no avail.

You have already mostly troubleshooted your problem (we know it's not the oil pressure switch). The only things left would be an intermittent short in your wire harness (not likely) or the oil level sensor (likely). To troubleshoot, simply unplug that sensor (driver's side oil pan below alternator). If your oil light stays off, then that was the problem. Assuming that was it, here are your options:

1. Install an oil pressure gauge and ignore the light....be sure to check oil at regular intervals
    2. leave the oil level sensor unplugged and check oil at regular intervals
    3. pay ~$250 for a new sensor and it will likely last for the next 10 years (give or take).

In the past I've only done options #1 or 2, but for the van I'm driving now I decided to go with option #3. It's Toyota part number 89491-27020. Toyotapartsdeal says $210, but then they cancel your order claiming it's NLA. According to my local dealer, MSRP is $339.04 but they discounted it to $250 (and they actually produced the part). The seal is Toyota #90430-27001 with an MSRP of $3.93 and a discounted price of $1.83. If you get the new sensor it should come with seal included (mine did). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van

Thanks for your response, Tim. I got under there and disconnected the level light and went for a drive. The light was on for the whole drive, never shut off. I had realized is still had my pressure sensor connected so wondered if that's what was throwing it off. Got home and disconnected the pressure sensor and the light was still on. Both were unplugged and still were giving the light.

However, after I connected them both back together and started her up the light stayed off. I took it for another drive and the light never came back on. I'm gonna keep my eye on it, but it seems to have maybe worked itself out? I'm not really sure.

edit: on a second drive the light turned back on. I may just pull the bulb and keep and close eye on oil level.
    Last edited by Temassi; 06-22-2022 at 04:09 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Interesting. Sounds like you may have an intermittent short to ground in your wire harness??? I had a cargo van give me that issue once. I ended up running a new wire from the oil pressure switch up to the idiot light in the dash (yellow wire if I remember right). That solved the problem and it never came back. Of course doing that also bypassed the oil level sensor, but I keep a pretty close eye on oil level so I don't really need that one. Tim