Thread: Diagnostic codes

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 LE automatic

Diagnostic codes

Hey, I am new here and I have noticed the CEL come on once or twice when I hit a big bump. Only had my van for a few months and it has 205 k miles on it. I have been reading through the threads and decided to check my codes.
    I got 2 4 2 : any ideas? i got it twice but I need a thinner wire to just shove in there, I have to monkey around and then quickly look at the dash.
    Thanks for input. I looked at the PDF for my van years and can't decide if it is telling me 24. 2 or 2 42.
    chester
    Ok, I filed down the wire and this time I got 22 and 42. I'll look those up and let you know
    Last edited by Chester; 10-22-2013 at 03:12 PM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Diagnostic codes

I'm guessing it's either a code 24 or 42. The code will repeat over and over, but there is a long pause between each cycle (this helps identify the start & end of the code sequence). If there is more than one code, you will start with a long pause, then fast blinking for the 1st digit, a short pause, fast blinking for the 2nd digit, short pause, then the same for any other stored codes. When you see a 2nd long pause, that's the end of the sequence. If you get something weird like 242, and you're sure you're doing it right, then reset (erase) codes, verify the normal (no fault) sequence is blinking, remove the jumper from the CEL connector, drive the van, and check for codes again. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 LE automatic

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    Hey, I am new here and I have noticed the CEL come on once or twice when I hit a big bump. Only had my van for a few months and it has 205 k miles on it. I have been reading through the threads and decided to check my codes.
    I got 2 4 2 : any ideas? i got it twice but I need a thinner wire to just shove in there, I have to monkey around and then quickly look at the dash.
    Thanks for input. I looked at the PDF for my van years and can't decide if it is telling me 24. 2 or 2 42.
    chester
    Ok, I filed down the wire and this time I got 22 and 42. I'll look those up and let you know
    I had to replace the speedometer cable when I got the van, so the 42 makes sense.

I pulled the fuse for a minute, drove the van again and rechecked the codes and got only 24 water temperature sensor. I am thinking I will just replace this (as it is accessible if I take off the radiator cap) and the wiring to it looks fine.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

On 88 - 89 vans, code 24 is the intake air temperature sensor. You can test this by checking ohms of the air temp sensor terminals (these are in the Air Flow Meter connector). If it tests bad, then unfortunately you will need to replace the entire AFM. If it tests good, then it's either a wire harness issue or a bad ECU. The test is outlined on pages FI-38 & FI 58 of the 1988 & 1989 Factory Service Manuals or page FI 37 & FI 57 of the 86 & 87 manuals. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 LE automatic

sorry, mis typed. Last code was 22. I ordered the water temp sensor from RockAuto and am waiting for it to come. Oddly enough, I have a few records on this van and the sensor was changed in 2004, about 50,000 miles ago.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 LE automatic

Got the new water temp sender in the mail, had to run out to the hardware store to buy a deep 19 mm socket that would fit the sender because mine had a lip and would not fit over the electrical housing. Replaced sensor in 10 minutes. Cleared the codes, restarted engine, rechecked codes and constant blink. Clear!

When the sender was replaced on this van in 2004 ( one of the few records I have on this van) they charged $70 for the part and $100 for the labor. I paid $14 for the part and $4 for the socket.