Thread: Power lock fix in my 84 Van

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Power lock fix in my 84 Van

When we bought our 1984 there was a hole in the door panel where a button was missing. I had no idea what it was. The manual and our copy of Chilton's was no help. I reached in and pressed the terminals. To my surprise the door all locked. Power Locks!! I spent several months trying to find a a button for the door but had no luck. The other day we went down to the junkyard that had two vans (an 85 and 86) and I pulled a lock / unlock button out of the dashboard. The plug in the back was different, so I cut it off to have 4 exposed wires. There was already an empty slot in the dash to the left of the steering wheel that it clipped into perfectly. When I took the door panel off, the 4 wires going to the broken switch where the same color so I knew I was in business. Running the wires back through the door and up to behind the dash wasn't feasible since they were pig-tailed off of the window control wiring. I traced the wires back through the door jamb and found where they came in under the dash. Then I used some in line wire taps to connect the correct wires to 4 one-foot pieces of wiring that I connected tot he button with butt splices. I popped in the key and... It Worked!! Pretty excited to be able to locked all 4 doors with out having to crawl throughout the van.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Tom - 1984 Toyota Van, Customized Camper

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4 le, 87 2x4 panel

Re: Power lock fix in my 84 Van

i found a power lock switch (off of a previa, but it pops right into the dash slot) and was hoping to find a plug in the dash where the dlx power switch/le fog light switch is, but nothing. upgrading a 87 panel van with a few le bells and whistles. i'm hoping i wont have to switch out he entire wiring harness under the dash just to get power locks on my sliding door and rear hatch to work. any suggestions if there is some harness patch i'm not seeing?