Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing a New Brake Master Cylinder

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 TV Panel 4x4 5-Speed 1989 TV LE, Dual Sunroof, 2WD Automatic

Re: Installing a New Brake Master Cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Hello,

Great thread with loads of info. Went to start my 87 4x4 this morning and found my clutch pedal went completely soft and couldn't get it into gear. Looked up under dash and noticed the piston on the clutch master cylinder was covered in fluid and dripping a bit so I'm planning to replace. Given the amount of effort required to pull apart the dash and access the clutch master cylinder, should I go ahead and do the brake master cylinder while I'm at it? Any good reasons to wait until there is an issue with it? I'm pretty sure it's the original. Thanks and keep up the great work!
    I'd probably say yes, do them both.
    Taking the dash apart isn't a small thing and if one cylinder is going the other might not be far behind.
    Also, they are both attached to the same reservoir, which means you're going to be impacted both of them anyway.

>>Check out the video link- https://youtu.be/nYmHK_KdiF8<<
    You'll pretty much see the whole process.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4x4 5-Speed

Quote Originally Posted by armorrell View Post
    I'd probably say yes, do them both.
    Taking the dash apart isn't a small thing and if one cylinder is going the other might not be far behind.
    Also, they are both attached to the same reservoir, which means you're going to be impacted both of them anyway.

>>Check out the video link- https://youtu.be/nYmHK_KdiF8<<
    You'll pretty much see the whole process.
    Thanks for the reply! That's a great video. Parts are on the way and I'm planning to do both clutch and brake master + clutch slave.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 TV Panel 4x4 5-Speed 1989 TV LE, Dual Sunroof, 2WD Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Thanks for the reply! That's a great video. Parts are on the way and I'm planning to do both clutch and brake master + clutch slave.
    Excellent- hope it was helpful and you have a successful time getting it updated!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

I'm planning to do both clutch and brake master + clutch slave.
    I learned in HS auto shop to do both ends of pressure systems(clutch) at the same time or you'll be doing it again.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Ok... I did find some Master cylinder repair kits at Rockauto for both the Brake, AND Clutch master's!

I prefer to keep the OG Toyota/ Aisin bodies for these items. The steel they use is superior imo, and the bores of all the ones I have taken apart before always seem to be in great shape!

So with some basic tools (only exotic thing the average joe may not have are a decent set of snap ring pliers and a quality brake line wrench), they can be rebuilt for roughly a third of the cost of the cheaper after market ones available... and about a fourth or less of the cost of the original Toyota parts.

I might do a write up on rebuild if anyone is interested...
    Last edited by Flecker; 12-25-2018 at 01:21 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    I might do a write up on rebuild if anyone is interested...
    I'd be interested if you ever find some time. Thanks! Gearing up to tackle the master and clutch cylinders and slave asap.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

im curious if anyone knows of theres a difference in master cylinders from 1st to second gen vans? they seem to have different part numbers but after ordering a spare closeout for my 87, i just. bought back my 85 and it needs one...looks pretty identical to the 87 one so ill likely be installing it...anyone?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

The only difference I see is the bore size. 86-89 have a 1" bore. The 84-85 have a 15/16" bore... what's a 16th of an inch between vans?

I guess as long as it fits in the booster it would be fine imo. Stroke is the same... Worse case scenario is try it. I would happily send ya a used one to test fit from an 87 van.
    Last edited by Flecker; 05-13-2020 at 10:56 AM.

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

ahhh nice catch, i know from the motorcycle world using a larger bore mc will make the lever feel stiff and hard, i wonder if the cailper pistons and wheel cylinders are smaller on the 1st gens..well its installed, i cant imagine its going to be an issue..

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by boogieman View Post
    ahhh nice catch, i know from the motorcycle world using a larger bore mc will make the lever feel stiff and hard, i wonder if the cailper pistons and wheel cylinders are smaller on the 1st gens..well its installed, i cant imagine its going to be an issue..

For a bike, prolly weighs in at 4-600 lbs pending on model engine and such... that 1/16" would make a difference for sure, especially with a couple of small calipers.

These piggy little vans? Not to sure, but it would prolly just grin at that 1/16"... Of course I have been wrong before. In my world theres 3 ways of doing things. The right way, the wrong way and then my way (it's just like the wrong way, but lots faster).

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    LiteAce '94

Hi, A noobie question.

I have a '94 Liteace (CM65 body) camper. I noticed brake fluid leak marks on the power drum. It appears that the brake master cylinder leaked one time. I don't see any fluid there now.

I found that it is Toyota part#47201 27200 but I could not find it anywhere in the stateside. Anyone know where/how I can get compatible brake master cylinder?

It looks like exactly like this. I found this one on Australian Ebay site and it says it fits on 1988-1999 Hiace.

Brake Master Cylinder For TOYOTA HIACE LH80R Part# JB6094

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Alright, I've poked around other threads but figured this would be the best one to ask if anyone has any opinion on replacement brake master cylinders and/or rebuild kits. Was Aisin (now ADVICS, apparently) the OEM for these (BMT-025)? I've also found a Toyota-branded rebuild kit for these (04493-28060). The price on the Aisin/ADVICS is around $72+ shipping and the rebuild kit from Toyota appears to be ~$60. $60 seems like a lot for a spring and a couple of o-rings but I'd prefer not to have to do this job for another 20+ years, unless these are all essentially the same and I can get away with the cheapo $29 NAPA version.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

When it comes to a lot of things I insist on genuine Toyota. However, some parts are so simple/basic I don't think it matters. For me, master cylinders, calipers, wheel cylinders fall into that "cheaper is better" category. FYI, most of these cheap parts were not always so cheap. It's more of a supply & demand issue. There is/was an excessive surplus of a lot of these parts and there aren't a lot of us van owners buying things up. These won't last forever though, so buy what you can while you can. The last brake master cylinder I replaced (about 6 months ago) I used a Beck Arnley 072-8452 (now extinct) that I had purchased about 10 years ago. I then got the $29 Napa one to replace my inventory (I keep 3 of these in stock). Everybody has their own way of doing things, and I don't fault them for whatever they choose, but I personally would rather install a replacement master cylinder for $29 than deal with replacing o-rings/seals on something that may be pitted and not worth trying to save. Tim

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Thanks for the response, Tim! I'll take your advice and hold off on the rebuild kit and just snag a couple of replacements, one for now and one for the future in case these become total unobtanium. I'm mentally preparing myself for having to potentially pull the whole dash for this but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pull it anyways to replace the front blower motor so "might as well."

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Replacing the master cylinder isn't bad. It's a little tight but you get enough access just by pulling the cluster. Save the pressure lines for last, fill the reservoir, then use a Mityvac to suck brake fluid through both pressure ports. Suck an oz or 2 out of the ports before attaching the lines. Doing that will make your bleeding process easier. Tim