Thread: coolant boiling

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 le van

Question coolant boiling

Hi all. I'm a new toyota van owner and new on this forum. I'm currently 2 days into a road trip with my recently-purchased 1988 LE Van down to Mexico from Vancouver, BC. It's running great but I notice that when I stop it sounds like the coolant is boiling. I've checked the level each morning when it's cold and have added about a cup and a half to the radiator, and refilled the bottle as it was almost empty. Also been keeping an eye on the temperature gauge and it has stayed right around the middle the whole time. So why is it boiling? Do I need to replace my radiator? I was hoping all you experts might have some insight into the situation. Thanks for your help!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 Cargo

Re: coolant boiling

Replace your radiator cap. If that doesn't do it replace the thermostat. I'm betting the cap fixes it for you though.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    Van 1988

Red face Re: coolant boiling

Quote Originally Posted by yoginatrix View Post
    Hi all. I'm a new toyota van owner and new on this forum. I'm currently 2 days into a road trip with my recently-purchased 1988 LE Van down to Mexico from Vancouver, BC. It's running great but I notice that when I stop it sounds like the coolant is boiling. I've checked the level each morning when it's cold and have added about a cup and a half to the radiator, and refilled the bottle as it was almost empty. Also been keeping an eye on the temperature gauge and it has stayed right around the middle the whole time. So why is it boiling? Do I need to replace my radiator? I was hoping all you experts might have some insight into the situation. Thanks for your help!
    I think this is leaking coolant! Pls tell me how many litter of a cup and a half?
    When it's leaking, you have to refill all time untill you forget refill and it will be out of coolant! Must to find out where is leaking!!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

Re: coolant boiling

A cup and a half is about 1/3 liter. Worst case scenario is a blown head gasket.