Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to pass CA smog????

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Re: How to pass CA smog????

EGR valve with vacuum applied kills the motor at idle = works
    Egr modulator applies vacuum to egr valve at 3500 rpm = work
    I'm not sure if it passed the pressure test.

I go for smog again tomorrow. I've tested everything but the cat. Universal Cats were cheap on Rock Auto.

I'm moving to CA. Believe me; I'd love to keep it in NV but it's not realistic.

The new O2 sensor helped improve power a lot. More power down low and all the way to 4500 rpm. (at least for the van)

I blew out all ports. The a hard line running to the BVSV was clogged.

I found out today in CA classic cars are only pre '75.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4wd manual 87 4wd manual 87 4wd auto 87 4wd auto

ya i knew the year was ridiculous on classics, remember make sure they are running your van under mid 80's truck specs, seriously ask them what vehicle class they are running under, and dont tell them you got the cat in NV they will fail you straight away.make sure you drive a good 60 to 80 miles before you take it in. better nice and hot. make sure and put liquid wire on any exposed wires(end of fuel injectors, wires on front of engine or off of main harness) they will fail you for that to. where are you going for test. im in grass valley and rays radiator is a star location and one of the mechanics there had one of these vans in the past and he was cool about it. alot of times they will nit pick you on exposed wires and other little stuff because it is difficult to do a couple standard test (egr and such) on these vans.
    My advice would be dont divulge any info about repairs you've done either (cat, o2) because anything they can do to not have to do test they will jump on. most mechanics/testers hate these vehicles because of engine location and the primitive computer which combined make them actually have to do "mechanical work"!
    good luck

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 4x4 auto LE '87 4x4 auto DX '88 4x4 5 speed

I got a California cat in Nevada. It did come with a certification that I needed to give to the place doing the test. Ends up that since I'm a Minnesota resident with a California vacation home, I didn't have to even smog. Just make sure that if a Nevada shop put the cat in that you have the certificate.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Getting a CA cat is tricky in NV. The only vendor that will sell one is Summit Racing and Oriley. Summit wanted only $93 for a Magnaflow. (MPE-334106) Everyone else wanted $130 to 200!

I know I have low compression. Which will cause high HC; but I don't have time for a rebuild right now.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

Here's a link to the shop that installed the cat for me. I had to call ahead, and the guy ordered the cat. It only cost me around $200, if I remember right (installed). The shop is on Hwy 50, on the way out of Carson City, heading toward Dayton. It's a bit of a drive from Reno, but I had a good experience at the shop. The place is called "Tires For You" and the link came from a "Carson City muffler shop" search.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.aWc&cad=rjt

There's a Pick and Pull out there, too, so if your timing is good they sometimes have a TV there.

Good luck!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Here is the new exhaust. I cut the header as close to the y pipe as possibl, adapted from 2" to 2.5", moved the cat forward 19"and maintained 2.5" to the rear axel, them necked back down to 2". Summit had everything for $160. It took 3 hours for me to fab in 15*f weather. Not bad.
    Name:  IMG_20131208_190338.jpg
Views: 1395
Size:  78.1 KB

I have always felt the cat was too far rearward to receive hot gases. New cars literally have them wrapped around the motor.
    I have maintained 2" clearance to the battery. And 1" to the transfer case. Heat shielding may be considered in the future. I'm not worried with the current temps.

Driving to work today it is noticeably quieter on the hi way. The glass pack muffler I already had in place was a little louder than preferable.
    Last edited by coronan; 01-01-2014 at 05:04 PM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

@ sku bum:
    Thats a pretty good deal! If i didnt have the capability to weld my own; I would do that route.

Ever notice the van doesn't use a flex pipe???
    I noticed but was on a budget so, talked my self out of adding one. If hard pipe is good enough for stock, Its good enough for me.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):

That's a nice looking set-up.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

I finally passed smog.

The moral of my story is its amazing what a new Catalytic Converter can take out of emissions. I should have done this first.

Here is the recap:
    Back in November I failed smog with High CO and HCs Idle and 2500 RPM. I was basically double the limits.

Things that needed repair were the EGR and O2 sensor.

Next Test:
    Name:  IMG_20140101_153141.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  83.8 KB
    Passed Idle emissions, Failed HC at 2500 rpm. Still a gross polluter.

Installed new cat:

Next Test
    Name:  IMG_20140101_153307.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  82.0 KB
    Passed with flying colors!!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota van

this is just another reason why u gotta love TEXAS we don't have none of that crap to deal with from what I have read its a big hassel for any car I wish everyone the best wit this and hope it gets better to do this outthere

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

Smogging advice?

Hi, I have to go in for Smog and a friend recommended putting in 91 (I usually put in the cheapest available, which is 87 here) but will changing it or mixing it hurt the van at all? I am in California where the smog test is apparently more strict! Any tips on passing it are beyond welcomed too!!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Mixing Fuel

Best way to pass emissions testing is to make sure then van is running well.

Check for stored codes.

If any repairs are pending (oil change,plugs, filters...) do it now.

When it comes time for testing I have found some benefit to running Seafoam in the fuel (as per directions on the can)
    I have never had it hurt anything and it does seem to help.
    YMMV.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Re: Mixing Fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Best way to pass emissions testing is to make sure then van is running well.

Check for stored codes.

If any repairs are pending (oil change,plugs, filters...) do it now.

When it comes time for testing I have found some benefit to running Seafoam in the fuel (as per directions on the can)
    I have never had it hurt anything and it does seem to help.
    YMMV.
    Thanks BB! Gonna try this, as you will see in my next post

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Failed Smog - High NO - Any tips?

Hi! So the Van (1985 Toyota LE) failed smog :( I was wondering if anyone had any tips. The only ways in which is failed was the rev was too high and that it was producing too much NO.

So my questions are, how can I turn down the idle?

How can I produce less NO? Any tips or tricks or special ways to pass would be greatly appreciated!

For the NO, I was going to try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jVYZaY-Jj4
    but, we do not have that open port on the van, correct?

My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van

Re: Failed Smog - High NO - Any tips?

I have many customers send me there fuel injectors because they are running lean and uneven, which can and alot of time does lead to high nox.

I know of a van owner who failed the ca smog test on the dyno because it idled to high in gear so they applied the E-brake and that lowered the RPM so they could pass the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq-0oqv5On4
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final. You have to learn to take your time ... in a hurry
    - Wyatt Earp

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Failed Smog - High NO - Any tips?

I used to always reach back and turn on the rear heater fan while they weren't looking. This brought the idle down just enough to pass the Washington test. Not an issue after I replaced my TPS though and now I'm exempt.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

2nd Smog Failure - $150 in the hole - Leaving tomorrow, must pass - ANY tips?

Hello,

I have failed smog today for the 2nd time with the 1985 Toyota Van. It is a high NOx problem. The first test was $48, this second one was $40 and when it failed it was a $60 diagnostic. They said it was a bad EGR system and offered to buy a bunch of parts and fix it for a grand total of $600 and 3 days.

I cannot afford this and I also am about to leave on a mandatory trip around the Southwestern US tomorrow at noon, so in about 14 hours. I am in California. The highest allowed for NOx is somewhere around 1000, and I'm at 1900.

Does anyone have ANY tips for passing NOx? I will literally do anything, but I need to get it passed so I can leave.

Another question: if I don't pass, will it be one fix it ticket? Will I be okay driving around 7 states for the next 16 days, or will my van be impounded?

Thank you for ANY help. If there is some secret trick just PM me privately, ANY help is appreciated.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: 2nd Smog Failure - $150 in the hole - Leaving tomorrow, must pass - ANY tips?

Have you checked for stored codes?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: 2nd Smog Failure - $150 in the hole - Leaving tomorrow, must pass - ANY tips?

. Always check codes 1st. Failed EGR operation is the most common cause of high NOx. On the van, it's likely you have a broken BVSV (Bimetal Vacuum Switching Valve). If the nipples are broken off, a temporary fix can be to bypass using a short piece of vacuum line. The 1st picture shows location, the 2nd picture shows one that's bypassed. If yours is broken and if you bypass, make sure the vacuum hose can make the turn without kinking. The one in the 2nd picture is kinked or on the verge of kinking. If the hose kinks, it will not allow EGR operation. Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

I just went to check my BVSV .. and while I'm not sure it was actually leaking until I touched it.. it snapped right off, you weren't kidding about them getting brittle

So is it ok to bypass it as shown in this thread? I am assuming it only means that the EGR will operate white the engine is cold as well as once warmed up .. any downside to this bypass? or should I spend the 40 bucks on a new one????