Thread: Safest Tire Chains/Size?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    One 1985 Toyota Van (Deceased) One 1991 Toyota Previa

Safest Tire Chains/Size?

Hi again! sorry, I'm being a worry wart, but I heard a few opinions on tire chains.

Has anyone heard about tire "cables?" Does anyone know what the safest chains or brand or if cables are the safest? Also, how does one go about measuring? I've been using the standard sized tires!

Thank you guys again sorry for a million questions!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Safest Tire Chains/Size?

I haven't used chains or cables for over 20 years (yes, I'm getting old), so I'm not familiar with what new innovations might be available. I only use studded snow tires (all 4 wheels) in adverse conditions. Yes, this is an expensive option, but IMO the best & most versatile solution. If i'm close to home I only install them when conditions dictate. If I'm traveling through the pass or an area that could potentially have snow and/or ice, I put the studs on before I go and don't worry about it. Chains and cables are noisy, they break, come loose, beat up your wheel wells, limit your rate of speed, and are generally a pain in the ass. If this is all you can afford, then I'd probably get what's cheap and only put them on when conditions dictate. Tim

My Van(s):
    89 4WD, 87 le 4WD, 85 2wd , 87 2wd cargo , 88 2wd cargo. 76 International Harvester school bus,

I put cable chains on my 2wd and one broke, promptly wrapping itself around the driveshaft.Took me a good 1/2 hour in -20 deg weather to untwangle it. I then put good snow tires on it and it goes thru the snow in town fine. kind of scary still at highway speeds. I still carry cable chains, just in case I get stuck. You have to know your limitations. I keep them in my 4WD also but havent had to use them. Not sure if its a confidence thing but I havent put it in 4WD since we have had snow.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1990 Hiace Super Custom 4WD diesel

I hate putting either on.
    Look for quality materials,
    Chains are are more durable if your driving on icy roads.
    I've had the cables fray after a short drive.

Measure by what the manufacturer recommend, usually tire size.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    none

Never relaly used cables, but I do have an experience with the tire chains. I used them for the first time last year and I must admit that it's a very useful thing if the snow lays everywhere at least for a couple of days. After a massive snow fall roads are usually all cleaned up within a couple of days and the chains actually give you an ability to be on the road during that time. After the roads are cleaned you better take the chains off immediately, because even a short on a clean road with the chains on will be annoying. This tech article gives a pretty good brake down on the tire chains: Tire Chains Provide Traction In The Worst Winter Weather