Thread: New Dashboard lights - LEDs!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

New Dashboard lights - LEDs!

Name:  7db8fe7c5dc011e3bca00e7f842800da_8.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  53.9 KB

To instal new dashboard lightbulbs, first you need to buy the bulbs. I bought these ones from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400428841903

They are the exact same size as the original:
    Name:  35004702-03.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  65.5 KB

Remove your dashboard (don't worry, it's easy) following these instructions:
    http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/showthread.php?63-How-to-Remove-the-Dashboard&highlight=dashboard+removal

pop out the four lightbulbs with green markings on the back. Then remove the bulb from the grey housing. This can be tricky... just grab and wiggle the bulb with dry fingers and it should come out.

Next, just put in the new LED bulbs. The LEDs only work in one direction, so if the bulb doesn't light up when you turn the lights on, then unscrew the grey bulb housing and turn it 180 degrees and put it back it.

Put the dash back on and you're good to go!
    Tom - 1984 Toyota Van, Customized Camper

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Cargo Conversion 4x4 manual 4Y 1987 Toyota VAN LE 4x4 AUTO 4Y and another identical one for parts

Re: New Dashboard lights - LEDs!

That's pretty cool! My dash lights all currently work but I might just have to upgrade. Does the dimmer still work?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Yep, dimmer works great
    Tom - 1984 Toyota Van, Customized Camper

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE

When I first got my ToyVan I had Tim do a tremendous job of going over everything and he also put in these blue lights for me. I love them. The only drawback is that the original lights are still behind the heater and fan console, and they look sort of garish compared to the blues...

My Van(s):
    '88 4wd 5spd cargo, silver/red, with 3Y engine; '86 2wd 5spd cargo, green/red; '87 4wd 5spd LE, dark blue; '88 2wd 5spd cargo conversion, dark brown (bought new)

That blue color is cool! I bought green LEDs for the backlights in the instrument clusters in all 3 of my vans. It's the greenest green you've ever seen and the dimmer works just fine. Eventually, I replaced all the instrument bulbs (T5s as well as T10s) with the appropriate colors in one of 3 vans, just as a test. When I step on the brakes, the green backlights come on dimly. (Not a big deal.) Try as I might, the high beam indicator LED (blue T10) doesn't work - even though the LED lights brightly when tested, and I tried reversing it (hey, it is still a diode). More troubleshooting needs to be done...