Thread: Breaking-in a Rebuilt Engine

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 2WD Toyota Van LE - "donkey" 1989 4WD Toyota Van LE

Breaking-in a Rebuilt Engine

Hey folks! I'm getting my '89 Toyota Van 4x4 back next week with her engine rebuilt. I've read lots of differing opinions on the correct way to break in a new/rebuild engine, but I want to know what all you TV experts out there think. I want to do it right and I'm no mechanic!

Thanks in advance,
    Kestrel

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Breaking-in a Rebuilt Engine

During the rebuild lots of lint and other junk can get into the engine. In addition, new parts can have burs, sharp edges, and/or high spots that wear quickly. That means the oil & filter can get dirty fast. Due to this, I recommend an oil change after the 1st 50 -100 miles. As for anything else, maybe change it again in 500 - 1,000 miles. Then @ 3,000 followed by regular change intervals (short trips/city driving, every 3k miles, longer trips/highway driving, every 5,000 miles). Some people say to drive easy and keep RPMs down during break-in. I say to just put it to work and use as you would normally (no special care). I can't think of any reason why not to, and have never babied new engines. Tim

PS: Check the pavement every day for coolant and/or oil spots for the 1st week or so & keep an eye on the temperature gauge. On mine I rigged up a bright LED and a piezo buzzer on my dash hooked to a 220 deg temperature switch (for engine coolant). I also tied in a 5 psi oil pressure switch to the same LED/buzzer. If engine coolant exceeds 220 deg F or if my oil pressure drops below 5 psi, I get an annoying buzzer sound along with a bright LED illuminating from my gauge cluster. Tim