Thread: Periodic flashing of 'check engine light' and brief stall while driving. 87 van

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

Periodic flashing of 'check engine light' and brief stall while driving. 87 van

Greetings forum This site has enabled me to get the code off computer. Thanks And its a code 11.

Briefly My Awesome Van is acting up and am having a hard time finding the problem. Have installed new plugs rotor cap wires. No change . CE Light flashes and engine stalls.

Noticed it stalled even more in the 'Cascade carwash' Anyway- Anybody out-there know what might be the next step to look into or has had a simular problem Thanks Erskine

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Periodic flashing of 'check engine light' and brief stall while driving. 87 van

Code 11 is usually a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I would recommend replacing it and performing the maintenance outlined in THIS THREAD. At the very least I'd replace & adjust the TPS. It's been my experience that these fail at around 150k miles. If I get that code on a van with more than 100k miles, I will just automatically replace. Now that our vans are this old, if you don't know history, I'd consider it toast. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

Re: Periodic flashing of 'check engine light' and brief stall while driving. 87 van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Code 11 is usually a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). I would recommend replacing it and performing the maintenance outlined in THIS THREAD. At the very least I'd replace & adjust the TPS. It's been my experience that these fail at around 150k miles. If I get that code on a van with more than 100k miles, I will just automatically replace. Now that our vans are this old, if you don't know history, I'd consider it toast. Tim
    OK and thanks for the info. 87 van still spitting ce light after tps replaced(rockauto) Engine idles fine but acts-up with higher rpms. Disconnected EFI and battery and code 11 still shows. Perhaps the ECU or MAF? Still scratching my head on this one.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Are you saying the code won't clear at all? If the code clears, but comes back right away AFTER YOU START, then there is likely a problem with the item or associated circuit the ECU is pointing at. If however you cannot clear the code AT ALL by removing all power for 30 seconds or more, then the ECU is bad. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

Thanks again for the responce. Code 11 does 'not' dissapear. Disconnect battery several times (still code 11)ps not starting engine.

Am entering into a new experience with ecu removal and install. TV in the boneyard has 125,000 (still a pup). May pull MAF also. Cheers from the South... Ersk

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

Tim I Appreciate your response to this thread Fantastic Van has improved greatly- very driveable! Replaced ECU(easier than expected). Code ' 11 ' has vanished .

Check engine light stays on with codes 2-1 and 5-1. Is my next move to replace - 0-2 sensor (on the cat converter)- also the MAF? Would that be the cure to the codes?

ECU stands for electronic control unit. located behind drivers seat belt(in the piller.) MAF Mass Air Flow located on top of the air filter. (just refreshing my own education) E

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Are you sure you got an ECU for an 86 - 87 van? Those codes were only used in 88 - 89 vans. When replacing the ECU you should match-up numbers and put the same in as you pull out. There are always ways to make things work, but it's just easier to avoid unnecessary problems. Tim

Here's a few on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...cu+ecm&_sop=15

Before you buy verify the Toyota part # printed on your old ECU matches the number that's posted in the listing (or shows in the picture). Sometimes I'll search eBay using the Toyota Part number, then only the ones compatible will show up. If you search using part number only, be sure to check the box "include description" right under the search box. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

Tim The Vin. date(drivers door) at the pick and pull TV is 1986 (sept)(will call p and p for vin #) Also the cover(s) seat-belt etc. over the pulled ECU seemed virgin to me.

Will do a further test drive(CEL on)

Thanks again E

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Door tag will not tell you if somebody put the wrong ECU in that junkyard van. It seems unlikely, but it's very possible. Read the numbers from your old ECU and verify they are the same as the one you are putting in. They are prominently displayed on the front of the ECU.

There are changes throughout the years and even changes in the same years depending on trim levels/options. Some pins may even be in different positions. Some ECU's will be looking for sensors that are different or not even there (resulting in trouble codes). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

Thanks Tim Will pull and check ECU #s E

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

Tim Test drove Van. Ran like a champ. (CEL still on) The ECU pins match 10p 18p 14p New(used) 28061 Old(broken) 28060 New 0191 12 volt Old 0211 12 volt Both 4yEC.

All other #s match. 89661 17500 Kudos to the Toyota Van Tech site and community. Erskine

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I don't see a complete Toyota number there (that's the one I'm looking for). I think you combined the 1st half of the Toyota number and the 1st half of the Denso number. The Toyota number is the 10 digit number directly below the word "Toyota". Should be something like 89661-28040 (86 - 87) or 89661-28081 (88 - 89). Tim

Here's a link with instructions on how to replace: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...place-your-ECU

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

O K Excuse the confusion A picture is worth a .........Thousand........Words New ECU 89661 28061 My Van made March 1987

Old ECU 89661 28060

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Your old ECU (89661 28060) is the correct one for your van (2WD A/T, 1986 and 1987 model years). The new part number doesn't show up as a valid part number (let alone an ECU) on any search I've tried (multiple sites).

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, I had previously done a part search for that number too...............nada. Regardless, the codes you're getting pretty much confirm it's not for an 87 van. Those codes weren't used on van ECUs until Aug 87 (88 - 89 model years). Tim

Here's the one you need: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=...6128060&_rdc=1

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Toyota Van

Thanks again for the input Now Im inspired to become more computer efficient. aka Take Pictures and Post. ECU 89661 28061 # Right there on the decal. Am going to order a 28060. Appreciate this site and community, it certainly helped in getting my TV rolling. Erskine